• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No peace from war: Mother fights for soldiers suffering PTSD

Frostnipped Elf said:
Have you tried discussing the common experience with them to understand their recollections

I find I can open up more with others who have been than with some text book 'guru'.

If any of the Lads are around from my tour, I will stay late just to hang out, have a few grog and a laugh. I sure miss those times in so many ways.

I had a girl recently ask me what my Combat Badge was for, I told her it was for 'kind of being at the wrong place at the wrong time,' ha!

Kiwi99 said:
Whatever 48th, different views again. Ya know whats strange, all the experts and health officials that say they can diagnose PTSD just from talking to a person.  How can soldiers come back from firefights in Astan  with no issues, but an air force guy working in Trenton has PTSD from watching the caskets coming off the plane.  Tell me I am wrong all you want, 48th and others, but I am still a firm believer that the PTSD title is thrown around far too commonly and quickly, and is all too easy to fake.

Oh Kiwi,

Let's not start this all up again.  We made our peace, why do you have to rattle the chains again.

You know you don't mean any of that, so let's not go there, okay?

dileas

tess

Kiwi, are you a mental health professional?  Are you the kind of guy that doesn't understand why some people found certain subjects at school nearly impossible when it was so easy for you or the type of person that doesn't understand why people can't run 15 km without difficulty when you can?

Please!  Get some empathy!  The guy carting off the bodies from the aircraft probably figured that, by flying a plane, he'd never get stuck in the middle of things and have to deal with stuff like that.  Whereas the grunt on the ground expected the blood and the gore and could mentaly prepare himself for it (as much as possible anyway).

Do I have issues?  You bet.  Have I dealt with them in some way?  Sure, but they still affect me today.  But when I see someone freaking out who's gone through similar circumstances, especially to a lesser degree, do I scorn them because they can't "deal" with it?  NO!  BECAUSE EVERYONE REACTS TO THINGS DIFFERENTLY!!

This thread is full of judgement...and is one of the main reasons that often keep soldiers from seeking the attention that they may need.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  Who are we to judge if someone is suffering or not.  Last I heard PTSD did not have any boundaries regarding rank or what a person has to endure being feeling adverse affects.  Who is to say that the current methods of treatment are actually working for everyone.  This is something that will take time to measure the success of treatment.  At least the CF is taking the steps in the right direction.

Everyone reacts differently to situations.  I was a changed person when I returned from Kandahar.  Am I going to climb a clock tower wearing a rubber lobster suit and take pot shots at people - NO!!! But I did change the way that I look at common everyday situations and at times it is a change for the better.  Is it PTSD - NO, but that is my opinion.  Someone else may think differently.  

If someone in Trenton is suffering because he has adverse effects from seeing coffins returning, well I personally will not judge him any differently than someone who has endured a tour of firefights and IEDs.  Everyone has to live with the decisions that they make at the time.  

Just my two cents worth  

Am I going to climb a clock tower wearing a rubber lobster suit and take pot shots at people - NO!!!

Well, better than going up naked.  Thanks for the chuckle.  The mental image I just got from that is now going to keep me awake tonight.  ;D

After a night in 28 CSH Baghdad, next to a IED survivor with some 3rd degree charring (and worse blast/frag injuries), I thought that was bad enough. On my BBQ in the back yard the first few days back in Mar 07, firing up that BBQ, with the fat from a previous session, well that smell took me back to 21 Sep 06 instantly. Even now when I BBQ, I think of that. I still like BBQs though, just certain smells, even the odd song on the radio tweaks memories, good and bad.

The song by GnR Civil War, blasting out of our stereo on the roof of one of our buildings, overlooking Saddam's courthouse, when he was there, still alive. That was the 89th anniversary of the charge at Beersheeba on 31 Oct 06. What a night to remember.

Strike said:
Please!  Get some empathy!  The guy carting off the bodies from the aircraft probably figured that, by flying a plane, he'd never get stuck in the middle of things and have to deal with stuff like that.  Whereas the grunt on the ground expected the blood and the gore and could mentaly prepare himself for it (as much as possible anyway).

A very valid point - leading to another example for you.  Years ago, one of our guys took evidence shots of an incident in Africa.  Getting them developed, one of the photo techs freaked out, and her sergeant had to have a talk with us, passing on that in future we needed to warn her and her people about what was going to be on the film being developed in the future.  Afterwards we looked at the pictures and saw nothing to get upset about, but they were still distrubing enough to bother the tech. 

Wesley  Down Under said:
On my BBQ in the back yard the first few days back in Mar 07, firing up that BBQ, with the fat from a previous session, well that smell took me back to 21 Sep 06 instantly. Even now when I BBQ, I think of that. I still like BBQs though, just certain smells, even the odd song on the radio tweaks memories, good and bad.

Smell and memory are very closely linked: It's Right Under Our Noses.  Scroll down to Smell and Memory.

Having been down the long dark mental health rut during the last 10 years, I think it is better to be safe with a diagnosis of PTSD/OSI/Depression/whatever it takes to make sure that the individual gets some help rather than to be doing an autopsy on that soldier or others who pissed him off by telling him to suck it up once too often.

Frostnipped Elf said:
Having been down the long dark mental health rut during the last 10 years, I think it is better to be safe with a diagnosis of PTSD/OSI/Depression/whatever it takes to make sure that the individual gets some help rather than to be doing an autopsy on that soldier or others who pissed him off by telling him to suck it up once too often.

here here,

That is the post that best describes the way a helping hand can be the way troops should treat one another.

Not back hand them when they seeks help.

dileas

tess

Hopefully this will help out.

Vancouver getting stress treatment clinic for soldiers, RCMP

Pamela Fayerman
Vancouver Sun

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

VANCOUVER - The federal government said it will open a stress treatment clinic in Vancouver later this year for Canadian Forces members, their families, veterans and the RCMP.

Greg Thompson, Minister of Veterans Affairs, said the clinic will see up to 150 patients a year who are dealing with post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, depression or addiction.

"The Government of Canada is committed to those Canadians who have served this country, which is why we are investing in this new Vancouver clinic to ensure local quality services can be provided," he said in a news release.

"Our government has been building our network of operational stress injury clinics across the country since 2006, to better serve these important Canadians and their families living with mental health conditions," he said.

The new Vancouver clinic is a joint project funded by the federal government but operated by Vancouver Coastal Health. It is part of a national network of operational stress injury clinics.

The Vancouver clinic will cost about $140,000 to set up and will have an annual operating budget of $1.3 million. The clinic will have the capacity to treat between 100 and 150 clients a year.

Lorna Howes, an official at Vancouver Coastal Health, said in a press release:

"Vancouver Coastal Health is already home to the Canadian Forces Trauma Training Centre West, and the addition of the new ... clinic will only serve to strengthen the services we provide to Canadian Forces and Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) members and Veterans, and their families."

The Vancouver clinic will provide specialized mental health services to Canadian Forces members, RCMP members, veterans, and all of their family members living with service-related stress. It will include services such as assessment, treatment, prevention and support, in addition to educational programs.

Individual, group, and family counselling services will be available to clients.

Article Link

Back