• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Non-MD health workers - what would you change about your job?

Scarf Face

Inactive
Reaction score
This thread is meant to start a discussion on the professions of medics, paramedics, nurses, PAs, and other health industry workers who are not doctors. What do you dislike about your job? How would you change it for the better? How would you like the trade to work so that YOU can do your job better?

This is NOT meant to be a bitch session about how your boss sucks and the hours are long. If you bring up a negative point, suggest a solution that you think will work not only for your benefit, but for the patient's as well.

Contributions are welcome from both civilian and military sides.

I am also interested to hear from people who have worked in the health industry and left it, and what made them do that.

Scarf Face said:
the professions of medics, parademics,

"Parademics?! hahaha It's funny, because it's true!  ;D
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/258/tems.jpg

Why exclude doctors from your post?  We are a single service.
what do you mean "health industry"?  Are you looking for something beyond the scope
of CFHS ?

old medic said:
Why exclude doctors from your post?  We are a single service.

I am interested in the entire field, yes, but I feel including doctors would make this discussion too broad. I welcome input from doctors, of course, but only if it relates to their interaction and experiences with the people who support and assist them.

old medic said:
what do you mean "health industry"?  Are you looking for something beyond the scope
of CFHS ?

Yes, I'm looking for all health-related experiences, whether in a field unit, a hospital in downtown Toronto, or an office in a small town in northern Manitoba.

Scarf Face said:
This thread is meant to start a discussion on the professions of medics, paramedics, nurses, PAs, and other health industry workers who are not doctors. What do you dislike about your job? How would you change it for the better? How would you like the trade to work so that YOU can do your job better?
Contributions are welcome from both civilian and military sides.

I'm sorry no one answered your question, Scarf Face. I'm glad I joined the Department when I did. You may find this hard to believe, but I can't emphasize enough how much good that first year of apprenticeship in the funeral home did me. Learning how to treat grieving families, and assisting in the restoration of their loved ones. People tend to forget that the Funeral Service is a Health Science. Even our Chief today worked his first three years at the funeral home. However, by 1975 those days were over. With retirements there are very few left from the Old School. 
I certainly miss the Cadillac ambulances! 500 cubic inch engines with massive air intakes. They were pure luxury. Adjustable air-ride dampened the suspension and acoustic insulating panels allowed you to hear a heartbeat. The low centre of gravity made lane changes and maneuvering easy. Patients used to tell us it was like "floating on a cloud"! They were called "Lifeliners" and had climate control, fishbowl windows all around and privacy curtains.
This is an example of one of the old ( retired, of course ) Packards down at Nathan Phillips Square that somehow survived, alongside one of the old Bonnevilles:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3581/3344913346_d82458040c.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3454/3352782452_4dddf9870c.jpg
Nobody had PTSD back then, because we were busy and having too much fun. Just you and your partner out cruising around the city. Nobody was in charge, everything was 50-50. That might be what I liked best about the job. If you had a good partner, like I did, you had it made.
Back then, Metro had height and weight requirements. They had to have them, because it wasn't till about 1985 or so that we started seeing firemen on our calls to help lift.
I hope this helps.

Thanks mariomike, that sounds like a great experience!

If nobody is willing to just randomly ramble about their job, perhaps you can start off by answering some of these questions:

What was it that attracted you to the field? Did you get what you expected out of it?

What were/are some of the issues on the job that were a surprise to you, or that were impossible to foresee?

How well did your training prepare you to do your job?

Back