• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer occupations – Which one should I choose?

BeyondTheNow said:
You don't know unless you try. Users here, even ones in Recruiting, can only offer an educated guess based on the info you provided.

It's my understanding that there are several variables/factors that make up how successful an applicant may be. What trade(s) are you interested in? Each trade has its own level of competitiveness. Hopefully you would be contacted to write the CFAT and complete the subsequent steps, in which case, how you score on those coupled with other elements earns you an overall 'applicant score' that may or may not be enough to get you merit-listed and put you in the running for the job you want.

Length of time for contact, time-frame between each step during the recruiting process etc., varies greatly. There are some terrific threads detailing what I've mentioned in length.

If you weren't 'thrilled' with the recruiter you spoke to, don't be afraid to try again at a different RC or simply a different member. I walked away feeling very discouraged when I initially spoke with a recruiter in 2006. You might feel better after giving it another shot. Best of luck!

Thanks for the info. I applied for the boatswain position and sonar operator. I also however wanted to apply for armoured soldier but the online application only allows you to choose navy, air or army at one time. The recruiter told me however this is something you bring up during the interview and that your choices on the online don't matter too much until the interview. I was told boatswain and armoured soldier are both open as of right now as those would be my first 2 choices. So generally I just have to wait and see and hope?

...wait and see and hope?

Unfortunately, I'd have to say yes. That's about all one can do once they've submitted their application. Hopefully you know you have, at least, the minimum requirements for each--and of course, it always helps to have a little more than the minimum regardless of where one is applying. If you don't have the minimum requirements, you won't be processed further and depending on your trade, the minimum might not get you processed at all.

If you haven't heard anything within about 8 weeks regarding whether or not your application is moving forward, I'd give them a call. Absolute worst case IMO, is you might have to wait until next year (or next hiring for your trade(s)--whichever comes first) if for whatever reason you don't get processed this time around.  I submitted my app in the month of October and didn't hear anything until April. But I also applied when my trade wasn't open. Every file is different.

Howdy everyone,  I'm currently undergoing the recruiting process and would like to know what I can do with the situation I find myself in. I've applied for Reg Force, through CFRC Toronto. I've just received my email, telling me to come in and bring my paper work, book CFAT etc.. But, I've decided to finish my university education as I have three years left, and I'm moving to Ottawa in September. I would still like to join the forces, but I think for the time being as a reservist. I have looked into the units in Ottawa, and made my decision. My first question, to have my application changed from REG Force to Reserve do I simply call CFRC Toronto, or should I go in and do it in person. My second question being should I try and finish my application through CFRC toronto, i.e the CFAT and Medical or do I have the application changed to Ottawa and finish everything up in Ottawa in the fall. My third, after I finish school I would like to serve in the Regular Force, how difficult is it to transfer from Pres. Reserve to Reg. Force? I mean, I understand that's in a few years, assuming I'm even selected for the reserves but just wondering. Anyways thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Alex

BeyondTheNow said:
Unfortunately, I'd have to say yes. That's about all one can do once they've submitted their application. Hopefully you know you have, at least, the minimum requirements for each--and of course, it always helps to have a little more than the minimum regardless of where one is applying. If you don't have the minimum requirements, you won't be processed further and depending on your trade, the minimum might not get you processed at all.

If you haven't heard anything within about 8 weeks regarding whether or not your application is moving forward, I'd give them a call. Absolute worst case IMO, is you might have to wait until next year (or next hiring for your trade(s)--whichever comes first) if for whatever reason you don't get processed this time around.  I submitted my app in the month of October and didn't hear anything until April. But I also applied when my trade wasn't open. Every file is different.

Well wish me luck and hopefully when I hear some good news one day ill be able to proudly post my join date

KerryBlue said:
Howdy everyone,  I'm currently undergoing the recruiting process and would like to know what I can do with the situation I find myself in. I've applied for Reg Force, through CFRC Toronto. I've just received my email, telling me to come in and bring my paper work, book CFAT etc.. But, I've decided to finish my university education as I have three years left, and I'm moving to Ottawa in September. I would still like to join the forces, but I think for the time being as a reservist. I have looked into the units in Ottawa, and made my decision. My first question, to have my application changed from REG Force to Reserve do I simply call CFRC Toronto, or should I go in and do it in person. My second question being should I try and finish my application through CFRC toronto, i.e the CFAT and Medical or do I have the application changed to Ottawa and finish everything up in Ottawa in the fall. My third, after I finish school I would like to serve in the Regular Force, how difficult is it to transfer from Pres. Reserve to Reg. Force? I mean, I understand that's in a few years, assuming I'm even selected for the reserves but just wondering. Anyways thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Alex

Recruiting for the reserves is made only by the reserve unit you are applying to, not through CFRC. I think the best thing to do would be to go to CFRC Toronto and have a chat with them, tell them what you have decided. They will be able to tell you what to do about your application  (I've been through a similar process, but nobody seemed to be sure what to do... opinions were different from one person to another). They will also be able to tell you which units are recruiting in Ottawa, and what trades are open there. But you will have to meet the recruiters from the unit you choose in Ottawa, and from there, fill the application for the reserves. You will most likely have to call North Bay and cancel you application for the Reg Forces (or so I've been told to do in my case).

But really, CFRC can be of help when making such decisions, and they will be more than likely to be able to give you more informations about trades that are open in the reserve units in Ottawa. Hope this can help! Good luck!

Sorry if my English is crappy, I'm not used to explain such things about recruiting in English. :) 

I write the CFAT next week, followed by the medical on the same day. Can anyone tell me if I should expect to meet with my file manager after these appointments? What I would like to know is when the interview is normally scheduled. Will it be the same day following my tests, or by phone sometime after?

Thanks

BYFROMSCHOOL said:
I write the CFAT next week, followed by the medical on the same day. Can anyone tell me if I should expect to meet with my file manager after these appointments? What I would like to know is when the interview is normally scheduled. Will it be the same day following my tests, or by phone sometime after?

Thanks

There is no correct answer to this question. Some have it the same day, some like myself have waited a month so far to be scheduled for an interview. They would of already told you if your interview was the same day I believe.

Thanks Cbbmtt and George,

I read back in this thread, and even used the search function! I do have a better idea now, which is to say I have no idea whatsoever. Seems Cbbmtt is right; interview scheduling is arbitrary. I'll just play it by ear.

BYFROMSCHOOL said:
I read back in this thread, and even used the search function! I do have a better idea now, which is to say I have no idea whatsoever. Seems Cbbmtt is right; interview scheduling is arbitrary. I'll just play it by ear.

There is NO rhym or reason as to why each CFRC does things differently.  Some people will have their CFAT, Medical and Interview on entirely different days, some will do the CFAT and Interview the same day and some will do all three on the same day.

Consider yourself lucky if you get all three done relatively quickly.

Hey everyone!
I applied to the CF 2 weeks ago. I sent my paperwork in last week and I am waiting on the file to be transfered to my local CFRS here in london. I figure since I have been reading all of the stories on this thread - CONGRATS LOSTLY and everyone else who made it this year - I would post my story as it unfolds.

My civi career is a heavy equipment operator with 2 years experience and a highly accredited college course in the HEO field.

My only question thus far is do I print off and fill out the reliability screening forms on step 2 on the forces.ca website and send them in or do I wait until my file is received at my local CFRS and theyve contacted me?

I hope to fast track this any way I can, even though its impossible to say how long it will all take. Enjoy my journey as it unfolds!

Trade choice 1- Armoured soldier
Trade choice 2- Artillery
Date applied - August 14, 2013
Documents at NB - August 23, 2013
File sent to CFRS - ...
Reliability screening - ...
Medical - ...
CFAT - ...
Interview - ...
Job offer - ...
Swearing in - ...
BMQ - ...

steiner0400 said:
Hey everyone!
I applied to the CF 2 weeks ago. I sent my paperwork in last week and I am waiting on the file to be transfered to my local CFRS here in london. I figure since I have been reading all of the stories on this thread - CONGRATS LOSTLY and everyone else who made it this year - I would post my story as it unfolds.
My civi career is a heavy equipment operator with 2 years experience and a highly accredited college course in the HEO field.
My only question thus far is do I print off and fill out the reliability screening forms on step 2 on the forces.ca website and send them in or do I wait until my file is received at my local CFRS and theyve contacted me?
I hope to fast track this any way I can, even though its impossible to say how long it will all take. Enjoy my journey as it unfolds!
Trade choice 1- Armoured soldier
Trade choice 2- Artillery
Date applied - August 14, 2013
Documents at NB - August 23, 2013
File sent to CFRS - ...
Reliability screening - ...
Medical - ...
CFAT - ...
Interview - ...
Job offer - ...
Swearing in - ...
BMQ - ...

Once you local CFRC receives your file, they will contact you and then email you the forms that they need to have filled out.  In the mean time, it's a waiting game.

With an HEO Diploma/Crse, you might want to consider Cbt Engr?

DAA said:
Once you local CFRC receives your file, they will contact you and then email you the forms that they need to have filled out.  In the mean time, it's a waiting game.

With an HEO Diploma/Crse, you might want to consider Cbt Engr?

I considered it, but since my older brother who has been in service 10 years has a higher rank than I would is in the combat engineer trade, I would just rather not risk having to take orders from him. :p I know its not very practical that I would have to, I just dont want that to happen. He basically signed himself out of our family as soon as he married his current wife.

steiner0400 said:
I considered it, but since my older brother who has been in service 10 years has a higher rank than I would is in the combat engineer trade, I would just rather not risk having to take orders from him. :p I know its not very practical that I would have to, I just dont want that to happen. He basically signed himself out of our family as soon as he married his current wife.

So what.  If he is of a higher rank and you are under him, he will give you orders; and you will carry them out.  Family relations/feuds have nothing to do with the performance of your duties.  You are already starting out with a "negative attitude". 

George Wallace said:
So what.  If he is of a higher rank and you are under him, he will give you orders; and you will carry them out.  Family relations/feuds have nothing to do with the performance of your duties.  You are already starting out with a "negative attitude".

I have a very positive attitude on joing the forces, in fact, I waited 2 years for my current girlfriend to go along with it.

The reason I dont want to have to take any order from him is he has an extreme superiority complex and infact tried to notion me not to join the forces because 'its not the life for me'. Ive been heart set on this decision for 14 years just couldnt carry it out until now due to physique and relationships. All of my family believes I am the smarter sibling and think a military career could bring me many years of happiness. We all also believe he doesnt want me to join because he is affraid of someone in the family having a more accomplished life than he.

Ive gone through college with honours, Graduated highschool before applying and Im a more dedicated personality than he. However, I feel is if he had any sort of command over me (I believe hes either a cpl or sgt by now since he doesnt really inform his REAL family on any sort of milestones), he would take the command too far.

steiner0400 said:
I have a very positive attitude on joing the forces, in fact, I waited 2 years for my current girlfriend to go along with it.

The reason I dont want to have to take any order from him is he has an extreme superiority complex and infact tried to notion me not to join the forces because 'its not the life for me'. Ive been heart set on this decision for 14 years just couldnt carry it out until now due to physique and relationships. All of my family believes I am the smarter sibling and think a military career could bring me many years of happiness. We all also believe he doesnt want me to join because he is affraid of someone in the family having a more accomplished life than he.

Ive gone through college with honours, Graduated highschool before applying and Im a more dedicated personality than he. However, I feel is if he had any sort of command over me (I believe hes either a cpl or sgt by now since he doesnt really inform his REAL family on any sort of milestones), he would take the command too far.

You make it sound like a competition. I'm more dedicated then him, My family thinks I'm a better and smarter person, I've got a degree with honours.

It doesn't sound like a commitment to serving your country and to yourself and to bettering yourself as a person and helping society by paying it back.

George Wallace said:
If that is true....Again; So What.

Personal preference I suppose. Ill be sure t add Combat engineer to my list of jobs applying for when I call the North Bay office next week (2 weeks post documentation arrival.) assuming I didnt forget having put that in my application.

Daggss said:
You make it sound like a competition. I'm more dedicated then him, My family thinks I'm a better and smarter person, I've got a degree with honours.

It doesn't sound like a commitment to serving your country and to yourself and to bettering yourself as a person and helping society by paying it back.

Its in no way a competition, I simply do not want to serve in my brothers footsteps. I want to be my own person and not give him the impression I am following him. Thats the reason I chose artillery and armour; very related fields, yet not the same.

Im not on here to argue, also. It would be nice if it came off as I was being spoken TO and not spoken AT.

Im sure saying that previous statement will make it seem like im not mentally prepared for BMQ however, Im not in BMQ so I still have a say in how Im spoken to.

It would be nice if it came off as I was being spoken TO and not spoken AT. [/quote]

I read this and felt like hiding under a rock and I didn't even say it.

So you don't want to take orders from him because he has a superiority complex? Or because you don't respect your brother? Because anyone in my opinion of a higher rank than you is going to be superior to you, but maybe not having a complex.

I'm just a recruit trying to get in like yourself so I couldn't tell you what it's going to be like, but you should listen to these guys on here and maybe go purchase some thicker skin.

Back