• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer occupations – Which one should I choose?

JMei001 said:
You didn't get an email notifying you if you passed/qualified or failed?

I haven't heard of ANYone receiving an email explicitly stating if they were successful or not on their CFAT. Your best advice is to, yes, inquire with your CFRC.

I applied to join the reserves last year in March though because of various issues, such as my living in the UK previously, the medical test didn't clear until this March. Is there a time limit on when my application expires? After checking into the recruitment office in March, I haven't gotten any word in regards to my application since, and as the position is still vacant on the recruiting website, I would like to know if I either have to redo anything that may have expired in the meantime or redo the recruitment process altogether. I know the process takes a long time, but I'd just like to be sure I have everything covered.

jwb said:
I applied to join the reserves last year in March though because of various issues, such as my living in the UK previously, the medical test didn't clear until this March. Is there a time limit on when my application expires? After checking into the recruitment office in March, I haven't gotten any word in regards to my application since, and as the position is still vacant on the recruiting website, I would like to know if I either have to redo anything that may have expired in the meantime or redo the recruitment process altogether. I know the process takes a long time, but I'd just like to be sure I have everything covered.

Your best option, as always, is to contact your local CFRC. You should be calling in once a month to check the status of your application just to be safe.

I had to fix up my background check because of my extensive travel (vacation purpose) history, it took up 3 pages (15 entries) of the vacation section since I'm 16! (7 years,), they said as soon as its been checked off and completed I can call and book my medical/physical/interview since I've already passed and qualified for my trade. How long does this take around? (Other than my travel history, I've been at the same address in the past 15 years, and don't hold dual citizenship, no criminal record, just very basic information.

JMei001 said:
I had to fix up my background check because of my extensive travel (vacation purpose) history, it took up 3 pages (15 entries) of the vacation section since I'm 16! (7 years,), they said as soon as its been checked off and completed I can call and book my medical/physical/interview since I've already passed and qualified for my trade. How long does this take around? (Other than my travel history, I've been at the same address in the past 15 years, and don't hold dual citizenship, no criminal record, just very basic information.

Mariomike will probably be in here with some links but he will tell you like everyone else to use the search function on the forums as there are dozens of threads on the things you're asking and noones file/application is the same. The first time I joined the forces it took maybe 2 months back in 2010. Now that I am applying again its been around 5 months and probably another 2 to wait.

Thank you for taking your time!

1.) Any position for me will do, what is the usual acceptance rate? I've heard last year, 4,500 out of 40,000 applicants were accepted, that is a lot lower than I thought.

2.) What is the usual wait time from the time you apply to the time you enroll? (Assuming they accept you)

3.) I've been living abroad for more than 14 years now, and most of my family lives abroad too. What are the chances I need a Clearance Pre-Assessment?

4.) Since it'll be the Clearance Pre-Assessment taking the most time(6-18 months), can I complete this step abroad, and before all the other steps(e.g. aptitude test, medical exam...)?

Thank you again!

dtcs15 said:
Thank you for taking your time!

1.) Any position for me will do, what is the usual acceptance rate? I've heard last year, 4,500 out of 40,000 applicants were accepted, that is a lot lower than I thought.

2.) What is the usual wait time from the time you apply to the time you enroll? (Assuming they accept you)

3.) I've been living abroad for more than 14 years now, and most of my family lives abroad too. What are the chances I need a Clearance Pre-Assessment?

4.) Since it'll be the Clearance Pre-Assessment taking the most time(6-18 months), can I complete this step abroad, and before all the other steps(e.g. aptitude test, medical exam...)?

Thank you again!

All of this has already been asked, use the search bar in the forums to find your answers...or call your local CFRC.

EpicBeardedMan said:
Mariomike will probably be in here with some links but he will tell you like everyone else to use the search function on the forums as there are dozens of threads on the things you're asking and noones file/application is the same.

No, I would never do that.  :)

I've been searching on the forums for something maybe mariomike can point me to a thread that specifically talks about this but I haven't had any luck and i've tried a bunch of search strings.

If Comms Rsrch Op is my number 1 choice and MP is my second choice, will I be put on the competition list for Comms Rsrch Op even though I haven't done the interview with the MP Sgt that is required for MP or do I have to complete the process for MP before even being put on any competition list?

Cheers.

For a definitive answer, probably best to wait for our Recruiting moderator: Buck_HRA.

Good luck, EpicBeardedMan.  :)

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to apply for ROTP as either Pilot or Infantry Officer (my main choices). When I'm applying it asks where do you wanna be (Air Force, Army, Navy) and then you get to choose your occupation. I want to put my occupation as Pilot or Inf. Officer but it wont let me put both at the same time. If I chose Air Force I can pick Pilot but not Inf. Officer and vice-versa with Army. I already went to a recruiter and they were conviced that I was doing something wrong and that I can pick both... I deleted the application twice to see if it was some error but the same thing happens. So can someone enlighten me, what I am doing wrong or if I can even pick both at the same time? Thanks!

TheHaddadz said:
I'm trying to apply for ROTP as either Pilot or Infantry Officer (my main choices). When I'm applying it asks where do you wanna be (Air Force, Army, Navy) and then you get to choose your occupation. I want to put my occupation as Pilot or Inf. Officer but it wont let me put both at the same time. If I chose Air Force I can pick Pilot but not Inf. Officer and vice-versa with Army. I already went to a recruiter and they were conviced that I was doing something wrong and that I can pick both... I deleted the application twice to see if it was some error but the same thing happens. So can someone enlighten me, what I am doing wrong or if I can even pick both at the same time? Thanks!

See also,

TheHaddadz said:
I'm confused on something, how is it possible to apply for Pilot as #1 choice and Infantry Officer as #2? When applying online, Pilot is only given to those choosing RCAF and infantry to those who chose Army. Is this something you let the recruiter know before sending application? Please correct me if I am wrong, thanks

You can see from the attached photo that there is no option for Infantry Officer... I tried getting an answer before hand but it was very confusing because i couldn't see those options. If anyone can advise that would be greatly appreciated, thanks again.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 14.01.31.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 14.01.31.png
    118.2 KB · Views: 141
TheHaddadz said:
You can see from the attached photo that there is no option for Infantry Officer... I tried getting an answer before hand but it was very confusing because i couldn't see those options. If anyone can advise that would be greatly appreciated, thanks again.

Couldn't you apply for one and then when the CFRC initially contacts you, inform them that you'd like to add the other onto your file? Seems to be the obvious fix for this.

Seems my hiatus from being sick has taken a toll on this thread too :)
Some answers...

jwb said:
I applied to join the reserves last year in March though because of various issues...

Although you've been directed to your CFRC, your contact should be with the Reserve Unit that you're wishing to join.  All the CFRC does for files for Reservists is process paperwork, for any decisions in regards to who can join that is purely up to the Reserve Unit (or Brigade for Army Units).

EpicBeardedMan said:
If Comms Rsrch Op is my number 1 choice and MP is my second choice, will I be put on the competition list for Comms Rsrch Op even though I haven't done the interview with the MP Sgt that is required for MP or do I have to complete the process for MP before even being put on any competition list?

Traditionally if you have done everything else (interview, medical, etc) that would enable you to put on the Competition List if you didn't select MP as your 2nd choice your file would still move forward.  With that said CAF Recruiting is reaching that time in the year where files are put on hold in various stages of the process simply because there are people in the process that fill the required numbers.  Your best bet is to contact your CFRC and ask them for a status update on your file.

TheHaddadz said:

As per the suggestion from EpicBeardedMan (good suggestion!), pick your favourite of the two; once your file is sent from CFRG HQ to your CFRC and you contact your CFRC to set up an appointment to write your CFAT ask them to update your file to include your 2nd choice.  The website is what it is, there are plans on coming out with a more user friendly site, but that is still in the works - in the meantime just submit what you can and ask for the CFRC to fix it once you make initial contact with them.

If you've received an email to book Interview and Medical, is this indicative you've passed the pre-assessment clearance? (I've already used the search function)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMei001 said:
If you've received an email to book Interview and Medical, is this indicative you've passed the pre-assessment clearance? (I've already used the search function)

Not necessarily.  The preassessment could still be happening.  Best to contact your CFRC and ask them if you've pass the pre-assessment or if it's still being worked on.

BeyondTheNow said:
JMei001,

I'm sensing a theme here...
Haha ya, the theme that the 'questions about your application' thread is useless and every answer is contact your CFRC [emoji23] got the idea tho

JMei001 said:
Haha ya, the theme that the 'questions about your application' thread is useless and every answer is contact your CFRC [emoji23] got the idea tho

Because you are asking questions that literally noone but your CFRC would know.

Back