• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officers to the front of the line at clothing?

Pusser said:
His batman then  [:D

4235581.jpg

ueo said:
Batmen went out in 1971 or so.

2 pages on that,

When did batmen fall out of use?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/101984.0

Journeyman said:
Maybe I didn't take my sensitivity pills today, but I can't remotely imagine a CAF where things run so smoothly that that's  the biggest issue I have to address on behalf of the troops.

Wait until we have to start kitting out soldiers for Africa  ;D

While I understand the argument that lineups are a waste of the higher paid help time, isolating them from the friction of the tactical level of everyday logistics and process, will eventually impact their ability to make relevant command decisions that are reality based and are not a source of ridicule by the NCM’s. So the option should be there for officers/SnrNCO’s  that really need it, but there is sometimes a value in having a senior rank standing in the same line, using that time to share in the day to day annoyances and being to get one and one time with the troops.

ueo said:
COs, have EAs, hmmmmm must be the new CF. Batmen went out in 1971 or so.

They may go by other names than "Batman"......Perhaps ......Comd's Dvr........

Colin P said:
While I understand the argument that lineups are a waste of the higher paid help time, isolating them from the friction of the tactical level of everyday logistics and process, will eventually impact their ability to make relevant command decisions that are reality based and are not a source of ridicule by the NCM’s. So the option should be there for officers/SnrNCO’s  that really need it, but there is sometimes a value in having a senior rank standing in the same line, using that time to share in the day to day annoyances and being to get one and one time with the troops.

I am amazed at the information I can pick up when standing in lineups with the troops. Food lineups are pretty hopeless, and the armoury lineups are best as they tend to last the longest and have the most b*tching involved. :)

George Wallace said:
They may go by other names than "Batman"......Perhaps ......Comd's Dvr........

“Performs other duties as assigned.” ?  :)

I'm in Ottawa, so I can't think of a better place for officers to be than standing in line for hours waiting for underwear. Let the NCMs go first if you're concerned with actually getting things done.

That would help keep the officers out of endless O Groups where they get to be good idea fairies, making their mark, dreaming up projects and directives that are out of their AOR, and generally not feasible as per their "vision".

I don't understand why smoking ruins seems to be a good PER point for "leading change". I'd of thought destroying an organization's ability to support operations would result in reprimands for gross incompetence not promotion, but I guess that's why I'm not an officer. I don't have the intellectual ability to see the positive there, being an NCM and all.

c_canuk said:
I'm in Ottawa, so I can't think of a better place for officers to be than standing in line for hours waiting for underwear. Let the NCMs go first if you're concerned with actually getting things done.

That would help keep the officers out of endless O Groups where they get to be good idea fairies, making their mark, dreaming up projects and directives that are out of their AOR, and generally not feasible as per their "vision".

I don't understand why smoking ruins seems to be a good PER point for "leading change". I'd of thought destroying an organization's ability to support operations would result in reprimands for gross incompetence not promotion, but I guess that's why I'm not an officer. I don't have the intellectual ability to see the positive there, being an NCM and all.

The British tradition of a man servant for the officers solved many of these issues.Send him down to fetch kit or anything else,which freed up the officer for more time in the Mess and occaisionally checking on the troops,before returning to the Mess. :D

Hamish Seggie said:
Ever think that maybe officers who are standing in a line up waiting to be issued something or exchanging and item,that their time maybe be better spent on actually doing what they are paid to do?
The troops will complain that the officers don't wait in line, but then will complain when the officers can't meet time lines...when they are waiting in line at clothing, or the OR, CDUs etc.

There has to be a balance. A Commanding Officer should not be expected to wait in a line to exchange a shirt. He has far more important things to do. Just my two cents.

Like making up policies about skipping lines.  >:D

We are all busy.  Actually now that I think about it, sitting in line would probably be a nice break from the chaos at the Sqn.

Clothing shouldn't have preferential lines - like ESQ the Halifax clothing stores likes appointments if it is a major important transaction or urgent (e.g. DAG, deployments, etc) - they have phones for a reason.  My time is busy, but when I go to clothing I expect to wait in line like everyone else regardless of rank and make the allotment for it (if exceeded, the attempt is aborted and I carry on).

Now the BOR at STAD... whe conducting my own personal admin - I get the f*** in line and sign the register like everyone else.  It is a little different when I got unit-wide pers admin as an XO that requires urgency; I am not waiting in line for 30 mins for the front desk junior Cpl just to ask for the Sgt or the BOR CO who chose not to answer their phones or respond to emails. This will be alleviated when I eventually get a clerk posted in - they can deal with BOR's horseshit and file juggling.  Lately my boss has been jumping over their heads and calling NDHQ (e.g. Sea pay retro, pension) - helps when most LCdrs know each other.

tomahawk6 said:
The British tradition of a man servant for the officers solved many of these issues.Send him down to fetch kit or anything else,which freed up the officer for more time in the Mess and occaisionally checking on the troops,before returning to the Mess. :D

They were replaced by radio operators. But I'm pretty sure that I made more meals in the field for my Pl Signaler than he ever did for me...

donaldk said:
Lately my boss has been jumping over their heads and calling NDHQ (e.g. Sea pay retro, pension) - helps when most LCdrs know each other.

You have any insight on the Sea Pay Retro stuff?  My file apparently got missed on the first pass, and I've been told to wait for the CANFORGEN....

I'm not on a ship, and I'm not in financial hardship, but I know I'm owed at least 9-10 months from when we pulled MON out of the ditch in 2013-2014, and possibly a couple of other ships from 10-15 years ago too (CHA, STJ).

NavyShooter said:
You have any insight on the Sea Pay Retro stuff?  My file apparently got missed on the first pass, and I've been told to wait for the CANFORGEN....

I'm not on a ship, and I'm not in financial hardship, but I know I'm owed at least 9-10 months from when we pulled MON out of the ditch in 2013-2014, and possibly a couple of other ships from 10-15 years ago too (CHA, STJ).

Also waiting for my MOM ditch-time retro sea pay. All 16 months of it!

Seem to remember COs (and all officers) had both a driver who  took care of driving related tasks and a batman who took care of uniforms, cleaning, meals etc. Someone with much more exposure to "bat persons" might dispute that tho'. Don't know much about today.

mariomike said:
A two-page discussion on Batmen, if interested,

When did batmen fall out of use?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/101984.0

That's the second time you've posted the link to that thread, in this thread, in the last day.

Now you're just padding your post count!

::)

Lumber said:
That's the second time you've posted the link to that thread, in this thread, in the last day.

I intended to remove the first, but was unable to as it had just passed the 24-hour deadline.

So, how about I remove the second one instead. Would that make you happy?  :)

I'd say there's a difference between a CO/RSM and a junior officer when it comes to being so busy they can't wait in line.

Yes there is... a junior officer is probably 10x busier. If you dont believe me just check the parking lots at 4pm.

Our CO has his veh crew which is always fully manned. They run errands for him among other things. I see no problem with that, being part of 9er Tac is a well-known "good go" for a reason. We are all one team and contribute in different ways at various times. Its no different than one person cooking the rats for everyone else while the rest are doing the other things that need to happen.

I briefly had a course Warrant Officer that used his storesman to run all kinds of errands like getting me cleared in and out of the unit, etc. It did give me a lot more time to run the course better and work with the candidates more, and I'm not sure they had many better things to do to support the course. When they did I trust the WO wasnt putting a uniform exchange ahead of getting a haybox delivered.

That said, I generally am not in this situation and my kit gets destroyed until it fails in the field and the CQ ends up exchanging it on his daily runs or I find a lull 2 months later to go wait in line. If its a high priority to exchange / take care of then I'll just end up working three hours after the CO/RSM leave instead of one.

Lumber said:

Re: Batman:

10514.jpg

NavyShooter said:

CANFORGEN is pending signature for release...  that is all I overheard.

Back