• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Op IMPACT: CAF in the Iraq & Syria crisis

He might be implying boots on the ground without actually saying it. You can only project so much power into an area, to secure it you need ground forces.

I get the boots on the ground stuff;  I wasn't always a zoomie.  I wish he'd just use plain language, there's enough fluff in the air with the election coming up. 

Personally, I agree with him about 'boots on the ground', I just don't know I believe those boots should come from Canada; the solution should be more local to the problem.  The "west" gets into this one at C7-range, the whole region could 'bond together' against that common enemy (aka "us") and then the fireworks will be on.

Oh - Mulclair...please stop.  Would you take the firefighters away from the fire so they could hand out blankets and knit mittens?  :facepalm:

Absolutely agree. I think he's diving further into politics and poli-speak and anyway from the straight shooter talk that endeared him to his troops.

You are delving too deeply.  My first read had him simply stating that the intervention that we are doing now is the intervention that is needed; at least from Canada's position.  He even stated that the F18s and special forces were the way to go.  I don't see any poli-speak there

It is 6 more than we have there now.  Plus the other assets going.  Comparably, what % of the Army (F Ech types) were deployed to the sandbox at any one time?  Certainly not all, but our contribution there wasn't seen as "embarrassing" right? What % of the Army does the current SOF contribution equal?    While this op will go, there is still the other "stuff" these units do day to day that still must be done.

SOF doesn't work for the Army, so the percentage is 0.

Ghazwan said:
It is 6 more than we have there now.  Plus the other assets going.  Comparably, what % of the Army (F Ech types) were deployed to the sandbox at any one time?  Certainly not all, but our contribution there wasn't seen as "embarrassing" right? What % of the Army does the current SOF contribution equal?    While this op will go, there is still the other "stuff" these units do day to day that still must be done.

Honestly, I read your post and it doesn't make sense.  SAY AGAIN ALL AFTER MUMBLE MUMBLE, OVER. 

'This op' will go?  It's BEEN going for just short of a calendar year. 

Considering it's election night, I got to thinking that both Trudeau and Mulcair want to stop the bombing campaign in Iraq/Syria, while either keeping or sending back the folks on the ground.  However, they don't mention (or I may have missed) anything about the CP-140s or the tankers - maybe since by keeping those assets in theatre, they can still tell the coalition that Canada is doing something? 

Maybe they don't even realize that they are there???

Baz said:

The sad part is I'm not sure whether you're joking or not, and that you may be completely right.

Baz said:

Dimsum said:
you may be completely right.

I think this is likely the case. Tonight will be very interesting, but not as interesting as the next 6 months after we decide who is taking the reigns.

Dimsum said:
The sad part is I'm not sure whether you're joking or not, and that you may be completely right.

Joking, no; sarcastic, maybe...

To be somewhat fair, they have a lot of files they have to think about; this file, at the surface, is "we're over there bombing them..."  The details may not have sunk in.

Trust me, there are CAF members who are working in the location the LRP and Tankers dets are at, working for OP Impact who don't know what the frig the ATF-I is doing.  I am dead serious.  I guess Air Task Force - Iraq as a name and all the news articles did not make it as obvious as we thought it did.  The self licking lollipop JTFSC doesn't seem to realize it exits to support something called "the mission end".  Dobbers.  :facepalm:

Baz said:
this file, at the surface, is "we're over there bombing them..."  The details may not have sunk in.
Good point - from the platform:
We will end Canada’s combat mission in Iraq.

We will refocus Canada’s military contribution in the region on the training of local forces, while providing more humanitarian support and immediately welcoming 25,000 more refugees from Syria.
Not tooooooooooooooo much detail or nuance there - watch and (no longer) shoot, indeed.

If they are going to end the ATF-I part (therefore not needing the JFT-I IMO), the way to do it and save face is to just not extend beyond the current end date.

As a Canadian, taxpayer and directly affected CAF member, if the decision is going to be ""end the mission", I hope that is how it is chosen to be done. 

Eye In The Sky said:
If they are going to end the ATF-I part (therefore not needing the JFT-I IMO), the way to do it and save face is to just not extend beyond the current end date.

As a Canadian, taxpayer and directly affected CAF member, if the decision is going to be ""end the mission", I hope that is how it is chosen to be done.
Here's hoping
fingerscrossed_80.png
someone in the administration makes as much sense as you do.

I wonder what the new MND will think and advise on the issue.  Needless to say I pray it doesn't involve blue berets and/or helmets.  If that is the case, please bring everyone back.  :2c:

Back