• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Op IMPACT: CAF in the Iraq & Syria crisis

Tuan said:
I am not saying it did nothing, but just keep bombing and bombing and bombing isn't necessary.  Of course, when you have a real-time intelligence about a high value target you can act on it but just keep bombing like what Russia and France are doing right now, will not work.

Instead, (IF you really want to obliterate them) you have to study, collect, analyze and identify on which the terrorist's survival depends on: the lifeline of ISIS and its infrastructure; such as weapons and munitions supply, local and foreign recruitment base, communication, propaganda, and publicity avenues, food and water supply, oil and power resources, financial, trade, transport and banking resources., etc.. and simply eliminate them.

What western intelligence needs to do is, collect, analyze, assess and disseminate real-time tactical intelligence. I feel that the international intelligence agencies have a bigger role to play, than just being the eyes and ears of any nation, with feet of clay, when faced with an enemy of many different faces. Recommendations for an appropriate "tradecraft" to achieve such a role are the need of the day!

It is easier said than done, because terrorists will blend in to the mass and shift into non-operational defensive mode and later would reorganize again!

And AGAIN I will say you keep assuming none of the things you mentioned above are not happening.  Just because something isn't in a news article doesn't mean it is not happening. 

E.R. Campbell said:
Good intelligence services are Taoist ...
those_who_know_do_not_speak_car_bumper_sticker-rf904b952e9ea49b59593359b0c69deef_v9wht_8byvr_512.jpg

Agree with you! The wise man keeps silent and the more he kept silent the more he heard! You don't kiss and tell, no true professional talks, (except beating around the bush  ;) ) because after having spoken, he becomes a non-entity; but what IF he is already a not-entity?

jollyjacktar said:
Naturally.  I'd want to go with the local SME who have the TI on the continent.  Twenty five years ago, Rhodesian veterans would also have been an excellent source of  fairly recent SME in my opinion too.
Meh, SME? whatever, not much more than our guys. They are pretty good and lots of experience but Angola and Zimbabwe are as different from Mali and Nigeria as Afghanistan is to Honduras.
The real difference is ROE.

Nice and clear, UN sponsored action with nice and clear Rules of Engagement.

Your service Justin......

Security Council calls for eradicating ISIL safe havens in Syria and Iraq

20 November 2015 – The United Nations Security Council this evening called on all countries that can do so to take the war on terrorism to Islamic State-controlled territory in Syria and Iraq and destroy its safe haven, warning that the group intends to mount further terror attacks like those that devastated Paris and Beirut last week.

In a unanimously adopted resolution, the 15-member body declared the group’s terrorist attacks abroad “a global and unprecedented threat to international peace and security” following the “horrifying terrorist attacks” it perpetrated recently in Sousse (Tunisia), Ankara (Turkey), over Sinai (Egypt) with the downing of a Russian plane, and in Beirut and Paris.

It warned that the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), or Da’esh as it is also known, “has the capability and intention to carry out” further strikes and called upon “Member States that have the capacity to do so to take all necessary measures, in compliance with international law, in particular international human rights, refugee and humanitarian law” on its territory.

Condemning “in the strongest terms” ISIL and other terrorist groups in the region such Al-Nusrah Front, the Council Member States “to eradicate the safe haven they have established over significant parts of Iraq and Syria.”

It called on Member States to intensify efforts to stem the flow of foreign terrorist fighters to Iraq and Syria and to prevent and suppress the financing of terrorism, and reaffirmed that those responsible for terrorist acts, violations of international humanitarian law or violations or abuses of human rights must be held accountable.

It cited “the continued gross, systematic and widespread abuses of human rights and violations of humanitarian law, as well as barbaric acts of destruction and looting of cultural heritage” carried out by ISIL.

The resolution also expressed deepest condolences to the victims of the terrorist attacks and their families and to the people and Governments of Tunisia, Turkey, Russia, Lebanon and France, and to all Governments whose citizens were targeted in these attacks and all other victims of terrorism.

“By its violent extremist ideology, its terrorist acts, its continued gross systematic and widespread attacks directed against civilians, abuses of human rights and violations of international humanitarian law, including those driven on religious or ethnic ground, its eradication of cultural heritage and trafficking of cultural property,” ISIL constitutes “a global and unprecedented threat to international peace and security,” the Council stressed.

It also cited the group’s its control natural resources in Iraq and Syria and its “recruitment and training of foreign terrorist fighters whose threat affects all regions and Member States, even those far from conflict zones.”

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=52623#.Vk_MXPmrTWI

Sorry.  All of our UN lines are busy. Fratboy Justin is still basking in the glow of being declared the APEC hottie.  All international questions will be referred to Stephane Dion who considers mythical man made global warming a greater threat than Daesh.  Canada will be acting accordingly and slipping out back when the bill for global security is presented, as it did in the PET years.

This report in the Globe and Mail, headlined "Kurds plead for more Canadian support against the Islamic State," is good news for the new Liberal government. Despite saying that "the Kurds would prefer Canada continue air strikes in Iraq and Syria," the article is, in the main, a prescription for a "beefed up," perhaps even uniquely Canadian, contribution to the anti-Daesh campaign that does not involve quite as much direct contact with either the Syrians or the Iraqis.

I'm sure many Liberals are happy to consider this ... it's an "out" from the bombing campaign and a chance to be seen to be doing something against Islamic State/Daesh.

E.R. Campbell said:
This report in the Globe and Mail, headlined "Kurds plead for more Canadian support against the Islamic State," is good news for the new Liberal government. Despite saying that "the Kurds would prefer Canada continue air strikes in Iraq and Syria," the article is, in the main, a prescription for a "beefed up," perhaps even uniquely Canadian, contribution to the anti-Daesh campaign that does not involve quite as much direct contact with either the Syrians or the Iraqis.

I'm sure many Liberals are happy to consider this ... it's an "out" from the bombing campaign and a chance to be seen to be doing something against Islamic State/Daesh.

Rather like when the Liberals jumped out the'Iraq' frying pan into the 'Afghanistan' fire.

Jed said:
Rather like when the Liberals jumped out the'Iraq' frying pan into the 'Afghanistan' fire.

If, and it's a Big If the government decides to go in that direction, "attacking" Da'esh by providing support and training assistance to the Kurds, then there will be some similarities.

One of Prime Minister Chrétien's aims was to join the ill named "Global War on Terror" without joining in the Blair/Bush invasion of Iraq, which was, even before it started, politically unpopular. There was, back then, a United Nations Security Council resolution (Resolution 1386 (2001)) which established ISAF in Afghanistan and asked nations to support it. There is one today, Resolution 2249 (2015),* asking us to do the something similar in Syria and Iraq.

My sense then was that Prime Minister Chrétien understood the mood of the country, and I think whoever is advising Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, today, to get out of the bombing campaign but stay engaged against Da'esh, also reads the mood correctly. (I know that, at this moment, 60% of Canadians want to keep the CF-18s on station, dropping bombs, but my guess is that number will not hold for all that long.)

_____
* The full text of resolution 2249 (2015) reads as follows:

“The Security Council,

Reaffirming its resolutions 1267 (1999), 1368 (2001), 1373 (2001), 1618 (2005), 1624 (2005), 2083 (2012), 2129 (2013), 2133 (2014), 2161 (2014), 2170 (2014), 2178 (2014), 2195 (2014), 2199 (2015) and 2214 (2015), and its relevant presidential statements,

Reaffirming the principles and purposes of the Charter of the United Nations,

Reaffirming its respect for the sovereignty, territorial integrity, independence and unity of all States in accordance with purposes and principles of the United Nations Charter,

Reaffirming that terrorism in all forms and manifestations constitutes one of the most serious threats to international peace and security and that any acts of terrorism are criminal and unjustifiable regardless of their motivations, whenever and by whomsoever committed,

Determining that, by its violent extremist ideology, its terrorist acts, its continued gross systematic and widespread attacks directed against civilians, abuses of human rights and violations of international humanitarian law, including those driven on religious or ethnic ground, its eradication of cultural heritage and trafficking of cultural property, but also its control over significant parts and natural resources across Iraq and Syria and its recruitment and training of foreign terrorist fighters whose threat affects all regions and Member States, even those far from conflict zones, the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as Da’esh), constitutes a global and unprecedented threat to international peace and security,

Recalling that the Al-Nusrah Front (ANF) and all other individuals, groups, undertakings and entities associated with Al-Qaida also constitute a threat to international peace and security,

Determined to combat by all means this unprecedented threat to international peace and security,

Noting the letters dated 25 June 2014 and 20 September 2014 from the Iraqi authorities which state that Da’esh has established a safe haven outside Iraq’s borders that is a direct threat to the security of the Iraqi people and territory,

Reaffirming that Member States must ensure that any measures taken to combat terrorism comply with all their obligations under international law, in particular international human rights, refugee and humanitarian law;

Reiterating that the situation will continue to deteriorate further in the absence of a political solution to the Syria conflict and emphasizing the need to implement the Geneva communiqué of 30 June 2012 endorsed as Annex II of its resolution 2118 (2013), the joint statement on the outcome of the multilateral talks on Syria in Vienna of 30 October 2015 and the statement of the International Syria Support Group (ISSG) of 14 November 2015,

“1.  Unequivocally condemns in the strongest terms the horrifying terrorist attacks perpetrated by ISIL also known as Da’esh which took place on 26 June 2015 in Sousse, on 10 October 2015 in Ankara, on 31 October 2015 over Sinaï, on 12 November 2015 in Beirut and on 13 November 2015 in Paris, and all other attacks perpetrated by ISIL also known as Da’esh, including hostage-taking and killing, and notes it has the capability and intention to carry out further attacks and regards all such acts of terrorism as a threat to peace and security;

“2.  Expresses its deepest sympathy and condolences to the victims and their families and to the people and Governments of Tunisia, Turkey, Russian Federation, Lebanon and France, and to all Governments whose citizens were targeted in the above mentioned attacks and all other victims of terrorism;“3.      Condemns also in the strongest terms the continued gross, systematic and widespread abuses of human rights and violations of humanitarian law, as well as barbaric acts of destruction and looting of cultural heritage carried out by ISIL also known as Da’esh;

“4.  Reaffirms that those responsible for committing or otherwise responsible for terrorist acts, violations of international humanitarian law or violations or abuses of human rights must be held accountable;

“5.  Calls upon Member States that have the capacity to do so to take all necessary measures, in compliance with international law, in particular with the United Nations Charter, as well as international human rights, refugee and humanitarian law, on the territory under the control of ISIL also known as Da’esh, in Syria and Iraq, to redouble and coordinate their efforts to prevent and suppress terrorist acts committed specifically by ISIL also known as Da’esh as well as ANF, and all other individuals, groups, undertakings, and entities associated with Al-Qaida, and other terrorist groups, as designated by the United Nations Security Council, and as may further be agreed by the International Syria Support Group (ISSG) and endorsed by the UN Security Council, pursuant to the statement of the International Syria Support Group (ISSG) of 14 November, and to eradicate the safe haven they have established over significant parts of Iraq and Syria;

“6.  Urges Member States to intensify their efforts to stem the flow of foreign terrorist fighters to Iraq and Syria and to prevent and suppress the financing of terrorism, and urges all Members States to continue to fully implement the above-mentioned resolutions;

“7.  Expresses its intention to swiftly update the 1267 committee sanctions list in order to better reflect the threat posed by ISIL also known as Da’esh;

“8.  Decides to remain seized of the matter.”

Interesting new tack ....
Canada has a finite number of military resources, and it must be careful not to overstretch those resources in the fight against the so-called Islamic State, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Wednesday.

In an exclusive interview with The West Block‘s Tom Clark in London, Trudeau explained that Canada may not have the ability to increase its training initiatives in the fight against the terrorist group while also continuing to participate in a coalition bombing campaign.

“For six planes we’re talking about 600 people to support those planes in various terms,” Trudeau said. “It’s important to look at how best Canada can be helpful in the fight against ISIL.”

Asked if the decision then boils down to a question of money, Trudeau replied that “decisions on sending Canada’s military into operational theaters will always be made on a case-by-case basis … I think that there is a sense, certainly amongst a number of the people I’ve spoken with — experts — that there are other things Canada can be doing that will be of even greater value (than bombing) to the coalition.”

This marks the first time Trudeau has referred to finite resources in response to questions about his government’s decision to end the Canadian bombing mission. In the wake of the terrorist attacks in Paris, critics had been asking why Canada could not simply continue to participate while also beefing up training in northern Iraq, something Trudeau pledged to do in the lead-up to the federal election ....
I stand to be corrected (and jump in if I'm wrong), but aren't about 600 folks supporting the fighters AND two Aurora surveillance planes AND the Polaris aerial refueller?  If I'm wrong on these numbers, happy to be corrected - if PMJT is, though ....  :facepalm:

milnews.ca said:
Asked if the decision then boils down to a question of money, Trudeau replied that “decisions on sending Canada’s military into operational theaters will always be made on a case-by-case basis … I think that there is a sense, certainly amongst a number of the people I’ve spoken with — experts — that there are other things Canada can be doing that will be of even greater value (than bombing) to the coalition.”

This marks the first time Trudeau has referred to finite resources in response to questions about his government’s decision to end the Canadian bombing mission. In the wake of the terrorist attacks in Paris, critics had been asking why Canada could not simply continue to participate while also beefing up training in northern Iraq, something Trudeau pledged to do in the lead-up to the federal election ....
I stand to be corrected (and jump in if I'm wrong), but aren't about 600 folks supporting the fighters AND two Aurora surveillance planes AND the Polaris aerial refueller?  If I'm wrong on these numbers, happy to be corrected - if PMJT is, though ....  :facepalm:

One could argue that the refueller supports the fighters.  Not sure if the auroras are or not.  Not my lane unfortunately.  How many people does it actually take to support 6 fighters?  I'm asking because I haven't a clue.

milnews.ca said:

The 600 also includes targeteers, C2, logistics, etc

Bird_Gunner45 said:
The 600 also includes targeteers, C2, logistics, etc

Is that an accurate spelling?  If so that is by far the best name for anything airforce.  Hopefully with feathered hats and rapiers.  [:D

milnews.ca said:

The JTF-I composition and role 'hidden' on the OP Impact page.  ;D

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/operations-abroad-current/op-impact.page

Joint Task Force-Iraq

Approximately 600 CAF personnel are deployed as part of Joint Task Force-Iraq (JTF-I), which includes:
•provision of planning and liaison personnel to work with the U.S. and other coalition partners;
•command and control, and logistics; and
•an air task force.

As part of Joint Task Force-Iraq, Air Task Force-Iraq (ATF-I) contributes to coalition air operations against the so-called ISIS.This mission extension and expansion allows the CAF to strike the so-called ISIS targets in both Iraq and Syria. The use of air power contributes to the destruction of the so-called ISIS infrastructure and equipment, denying them the military means to attack Iraqi security forces or coalition assets.

The ATF-I includes:
•six CF-18 Hornet fighter aircraft;
•one CC-150T Polaris aerial refueller to support coalition air operations;
•two CP-140M Aurora surveillance aircraft to contribute to coalition intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance capabilities; and
•aircrew support elements.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
600 total, for "JTF-I complete".  The ATF includes all 3 platforms (9 aircraft total), plus air and ground crews. 

My thoughts that you have to reduce the ATF to increase the SOF component?  IMO, this makes the CAF look...well not good, to say we can't even manage 600 people on an operation.  :2c:    2+2 does not = BOWLING BALL!

the Support Component side is where the fat is.  Too many 'supporters supporting supporters'.  Cut the fat there, leave the ATF and up the SOF.  If the CAF can't maintain a 600 pers JTF...well aren't we in the proper hurt locker. 

Hopefully, this makes the PM realize he MUST increase the CAF budget to 2% GDP if we cannot even maintain a little 600 pers strong task force.  :nod:

Or are we just situating the estimate? 

Remius said:
One could argue that the refueller supports the fighters.  Not sure if the auroras are or not.  Not my lane unfortunately.  How many people does it actually take to support 6 fighters?  I'm asking because I haven't a clue.

Auroras are part of the Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance system for the entire coalition.  So....yes and no.

As for Targeteers, that's a real thing and I don't believe it's necessarily an Air Force member.  From Wiki:

A targeteer is a military or intelligence officer responsible for planning and coordinating bombardment-type attacks. His/her duties include identifying critical elements or vulnerable points, estimating collateral damage, identifying effect and weapon required and presenting/submitting targets that meet the Commander's requirements for the operational plan for approval. Once approved, the targets are passed to the unit conducting the operation (squadron, artillery or submarine) for conduct of the strike. Post-strike, the targeteer is responsible for battle damage assessment (BDA) to establish whether the weapon had the effect desired.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Targeteer

Dimsum said:
Auroras are part of the Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance system for the entire coalition.  So....yes and no.

The ATF complete is part of the coalition and not autonomous. 

milnews.ca said:
I stand to be corrected (and jump in if I'm wrong)[/color], but aren't about 600 folks supporting the fighters AND two Aurora surveillance planes AND the Polaris aerial refueller?  If I'm wrong on these numbers, happy to be corrected - if PMJT is, though ....  :facepalm:

I've mentioned this before, but I'm surprised (or some staffer really hasn't done his/her homework) that there is no explicit mention of the tanker and Auroras when anyone in the Liberal Govt mentions the Canadian contribution.  Putting on a bit of tinfoil headdress, it's either because:

a)  They don't know
b)  They don't care to report the facts
c)  They're purposely not publicizing it so that when the CF-18s get pulled out, people will forget while we still maintain some ISR and tanker support in theatre for others. 

Or perhaps our Allies have signalled that the tanker and the ISR birds are substantially more useful than additional strike aircraft, and the government is following the best military advice that has been offered....

But you guys stick with your interpretation that the PM is a fool, and that the CDS cannot offer coherent advice.  That is easier to swallow than the prospect of a nuanced position based on sage advice

Back