• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Op IMPACT: CAF in the Iraq & Syria crisis

I don't have a fighter background (I'm Tactical Helicopter), but I suspect that it is because the aircraft (a/c), i.e. the F-18s, are parked in the hangars with the wings folded in order to save space and fit more a/c into each hangar.

We sometimes do this in the Tac Hel world as well with the Griffon, but rarely.  We can "fold" in two of the four blades so that all blades are running length wise to the fuselage.  This enables us to squeeze more helos into a hangar. 

Update:  yup, as per SuperSonicMax's post.

LCol Moar is one of the best commanders I had the pleasure to serve for.  I have tremendous respect for him as a military officer, a fighter pilot and as a person.

Wing Fold: if you put all the jets in the hangars at night, you need to fold wings if you want them all to fit.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I just finished watching the interview of Lcol Moar on the CBC's National.
If you missed it live on TV, you can watch it online here (~20 minute CBC video) or here (YouTube of same int'view) - enjoy!

Concur, LCol Moar was an excellent CAF/RCAF representative, and spoke well and was indeed adept at refusing to play along with Peter Mansbridge's relatively obvious traps.

:salute:

Regards
G2G

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I just finished watching the interview of Lcol Moar on the CBC's National.

I think kudos are in order: Did a very nice job of talking up the Iraq/Syria mission of the CF-18's he commanded over there, all the while avoiding the traps that Peter Mansbridge tried to set him up for. An excellent demonstration of how operators can be your best PR people.

And our thanks should also go to him and all of his pilots for a job very well done over there.  :salute:

Just one small question from an ignoramus such as I: After he came back from giving a little back seat ride to Mansbridge (without, apparently giving him a taste of the "G"s) the plane is parked on the tarmac with wings folded. Is that a common practice on an airbase, even though you have all the room in the world to park aircrafts?

Saw the back seat ride interview. Very strange and awkward situation to my eye.
Guy in the back seat continuously babbling at you as you are flying the aircraft, keeping situational awareness and trying to respond to questions with an appropriate answer.

I'll echo the comments ref the 'video game' question; when you're on the stick it doesn't feel like Xbox. 

BZ to the '18 skipper, pilots and crews.

346a50b7ef9fd79f6159fbd6f8812526.jpg

Peters flight lasted probably 20min from chalk out to touchdown. Doubt they did any hard manouvers as Peter looked very frail and old in person.

They're finally awarding the roto 0 medals to individuals. Most of us are getting ours next week in Winnipeg. Better late than never...

Eye In The Sky said:
I know a few folks who've done 3 roto's...no ninja star yet.
Sounds like a Squadron failure.  JTF/ATF is awarding GSMs in country to those deployed - flying dets are most probably on their own to nominate and award.

The whole of ROTO 0 sort of got 'forgotten' about...there was a CANFORGEN out this year about them/us.  It is easier for the GSM; no log book to submit copies of.

AFAIK, the direction was put out to the Sqn(s) late Nov/early Dec from the WOR for log book requests, etc.

At this point I could care less about my GSM as I'll most likely get my monies first. Medals don't pay the mgt.

No amended T4 yet for 2014 or 2015?

I signed my 'form I can't remember the name of' for the amended 2015 T4 in late March.  I got my paper copy in the mail a week ago...taxes filed and return will be in the bank in a day or 2    :cheers:

Same here. Not sure if it's different for those waiting on 2014 T4s but I was deployed there from Oct 15 - Mar 16 with the jets. Amended T4 for 2015 was released on EMAA mid-Apr therefore I re-filed a few weeks ago and refund came a week after that. Also had a negative income tax deduction on the mid-April pay statement of about -2000 which resulted in that pay being almost triple what it usually is. I never went to the WOR to sign any kind of form as there was no direction to do so in Cold Lake. (At least none that I'm aware of)

I did find some of the young guys who are not familiar with emaa did have their amended t4s despite being under the impression they did not. When they clicked on the "my income statement" tab all they correctly saw was an attachment labelled 2015 T4 and, expecting there to be both a 2015 and "2015 Amended" attachment,  assumed it was the original t4. Had they opened the link they would have seen the old T4 gone and a new T4 labelled "Amended" with the extra amount in Box 46. (Most of them knew nothing about taxes beyond handing them to HR Block. In fact, some were looking for an amount of Zero in the "Income Tax Deducted" box.)

I don't have access to EMAA but the CRA website still only shows the original T4s for 2014 and 2015...  And the OR here is being less than helpful in finding information...

SupersonicMax said:
I don't have access to EMAA but the CRA website still only shows the original T4s for 2014 and 2015...  And the OR here is being less than helpful in finding information...

Max,

I just checked CRA and still no updated T4 posted there either for me. Having said that, received it on EMAA and in the mail in early-mid March. I've long since filed and had the funds deposited into my account.

Get onto EMAA =D

EITS:  I did, they don't have acces to my pay anymore...

BobSlob:  I am with the US Navy, I don't have DWAN access anymore.

Good2Golf said:
If looked at not as a flag (with its basis for argumentation of political statement), but a positive identification with friend in the theatre (think PID), it could make sense.  :dunno:
PuckChaser said:
Or they are wearing it because the Kurds wear it, and it shows solidarity with the private soldier ...
Yes, and yes, according to the Info-machine's answer to Al Jazeera ...
... A spokesperson for the Department of National Defence told Al Jazeera the Kurdish flag is being used to ensure troop safety.

"Our members are wearing the flag of the Iraqi Kurdistan Region to enhance cohesion with partner forces and to ensure easy visual identification, which contributes to force protection," Daniel Lebouthillier said in an email.

"Canada remains committed to a unified, stable and secure Iraq." ...

Back