• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ORCA has passed her first test!

Ok, I've been keeping in touch with this thread since its conception on August 10 and have been doing a little bit of my own research. But now it's time to admit defeat.

For the love of Jona, what the heck is an Orca?

The ORCA is a new class of ship (Canadian) that is being built, with the first one just in the water this past week.  You might find more information here too: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/42855.0/all.html

300px-Navorca-1.jpg

http://www.lookoutnewspaper.com/archive/20060814/index.shtml

Here is the story in today's Lookout

First Orca training vessel nearing completion
Melissa Atkinson
Lookout Editor
August 14, 2006

Last Tuesday, RAdm Roger Girouard rapped his knuckles on the hull of the first Orca Class vessel being built at Victoria Shipyards. The ping of metal that resounded was a reminder the 33-metre training vessel will soon replace the antiquated, wooden hull Yard Auxiliary General (YAG) 300 series.

Victoria Shipyards won the $67.9-million contract to build six Orca class vessels. The small ceremony on the Public Works graving dock jetty, complete with the smashing of champagne on the hull, was a lead up to the Orca being launched the next day. While the first Orca will not be ready to hand over to the navy until November, it needed to go waterside to make room on the jetty for the next vessel.

In attendance were dozens of shipyard workers; Malcolm Barker, General Manager of Victoria Shipyards; Capt(N) Bill Truelove, Commander Maritime Operations Group Four; Cdr Kurt Salchert, Commanding Officer of the Naval Officer Training Centre, Venture; and three junior personnel: Sea Cadet Cory Thomson, A/SLt Melissa Knight and MS Tyson King.

“The young officers, cadets and reservists are going to have a hull and capability that is leaps and bounds ahead of its predecessor,” said the Admiral to the crowd.

The new training platform, primarily for regular and reserve junior officers, has a large, enclosed bridge that is four times bigger than the YAG. Three consoles for navigation, propulsion and damage control will provide the means for Maritime Surface and Subsurface (MARS) officers to hone their bridgemanship and navigational skills.

A/SLt Knight’s eyes lit up when she toured the Orca. She completed her MARS III training in the YAGs, but wished she had a chance to train in the new vessel.

“This is going to make MARS III training phenomenal,”she said. “It has everything we need. The YAG was so disjointed. The radar was below and the bridge was open.”

She says having the radar readily accessible aids in getting the overall marine picture quickly and more accurately, and reflects what she’ll find on the bridge of a warship. Having an enclosed bridge with an unobstructed 360-degree view will greatly add to crew comfort, allowing them to focus on the job of navigating, she added.

MS King described it as “going from a steam ship to a frigate, from old age to state-of-the art.”

The Orca can reach speeds over 18 knots with its twin Caterpillar engines; that’s almost double that of the YAG. It has an endurance of 660 nautical miles before the fuel tank hits “E”. The decks are lined with a fire retardant and acoustic dampening substance.

But the most noticeable difference between the Orca and YAG are the accommodations. With accommodations for 20 personnel (four crew plus 16 students) in three crew cabins and three larger student cabins, the improvement in comfort levels is impressive. Compared to the YAGs’ lone toilet and lack of showers, the Orca boasts five “heads”, five showers, and five washbasins, split between male and female sailors.

For decades the 50-year-old YAGS have served as a training platform for MARS officers and sailors in the early stages of their training. But high maintenance costs and outdated equipment have forced them into retirement. Over the next three years, each YAG will be replaced by a new Orca.

(In the article they state 6 Orcas, I have seen documents that state we have picked up the option for the other 2 for a total of 8.

Is that, is that a (gasp)  :eek: FIREARM of some sorts on the Fosc'le????  Snotties could poke someone's eye out with that thing.  Or horrors of horrors shell another innocent hardware store....hehehe.

Honestly, she looks to have nice lines.  I hope they do the kids proud, about bloody time.  As for her still floating, well that just goes to show that Irving did not have their mucky paws in the deal.

Thanks Navymich, she sure looks pretty.  New gear is always nice.  About time we got support from the Feds.

Can't wait to get my hands on her!  (oops, is that sexist?)

Next week I am taking the Bosn QL5 course on there 3 day navigation phase. We'll be using 10 Boat (maybe for the last time?). Last few years we have been limited by the YAG restrictions, but we hope we'll be able to go farther up Strait of Georgia or even to the Broken Islands once we have the ORCA and her sisters.

I remember the Commodore gave a briefing at Venture a while back and he said that with the Orca's they asked for things that they would like, but were expecting to get cut out in the usual procurement/developmental process. However, they got approved pretty much straight up what they asked for which was a nice surprise.

When sailing around the Gulf Islands on NETP-O and MARS III in the Yags, it was always embarrassing coming alongside into marinas full of all these swanky nice yachts and all. hmm... Nice multimillion dollar yacht next to a 50 year old smelly boat that even the wood rusts on. Pulling up in an Orca will feel good and show a much more professional and tougher face. Though I will probably be back at Venture as a CTO before I get on them.

Say what you will about the YAGs, they've done excellent service for the Navy for a half a century or more.  Just think of how many officers have learned to navigate over the years, how many sea cadets have experienced some seatime, how many crazy yachties have been rescued, how many people have seen the white ensign or the maple leaf flying in a naval vessel, all because of the YAGs.  They weren't designed to do all that, but they did it.

Phrontis said:
Say what you will about the YAGs, they've done excellent service for the Navy for a half a century or more.  Just think of how many officers have learned to navigate over the years, how many sea cadets have experienced some seatime, how many crazy yachties have been rescued, how many people have seen the white ensign or the maple leaf flying in a naval vessel, all because of the YAGs.  They weren't designed to do all that, but they did it.

Absolutely.

I think there's also something to be said about learning the old ways before the new.  I expect the ORCAs will have all the latest and greatest navigational instruments for vessels of their size, but in my opinion a person should be able to navigate by visual fix before being allowed to touch a GPS unit, e.g.

Using a sextant to do Horizontial angles and plotting a position by construction is good for the soul.

What a lot of newbies forget, is that, yes it is nice to use GPS, and other methods, but what do you do when they are not available?

Some of that old fashioned stuff is not only useful (to some people in certain trades) it can also be a fun challenge.  As a loggie I had the pleasure of making a long trip in ORIOLE, and our XO taught us to do all that sun run mer stuff.  I have no use for it in my trade, but it was rewarding to know that two weeks from having seen a normal fix, we were within a few hundred yds of our track using the old methods.  While I put more faith in GPS, it was still worth knowing. 
Eventually, however, even new methods become the old ones.  When was the last time anyone hung a loadstone on a thread to find N, or looked at the sun thru an octant?  tech changes necessitate other changes - namely, in how we do our backup trg.  Eventually GPS will be the "old fashioned way."
For you herbie types, do they still make you do met by comp?

We got to bust out the sextants on MARS IV... lots of fun... More of that sort of thing to come on the sea phase since our CTO is a hardcore navigator. I enjoyed it and it was one of those things that makes you feel extra salty.

Well, does anyone have any more current news on our latest vessel?  Have they untied her from the wharf yet and taken her out to sea?  Has anybody been aboard lately to look at her.  Is she complete yet?  Navymich?  Any news that fit to tell?

They've got one in the water, but she's not moving yet...  Other than that, still waiting for Oct 26 (RUMINT) "launch" date.

Torlyn said:
They've got one in the water, but she's not moving yet...  Other than that, still waiting for Oct 26 (RUMINT) "launch" date.

Actually, her launch has already happened.  That was the event in August that put her in the water.  The Oct event is the official naming ceremony.

Next week they will be starting sea trials. The big event will be when the Navy accepts the first one. Hull two has the superstructure attached and Hull three is being put together. I would assume that hull 4 is being welded together as we speak.

Sounds great!  Nice to hear that things are moving along well as planned.  Do we know what the first one will be christened?  Unofficially of course. ;)

Back