• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Oregon College mass shooting - 10 killed

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Sad news.  Condolences for the families and survivors.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/oregon-college-shooting-10-dead-7-injured-1.3252645

Very sad news.

The news I heard on CTV, mentioned that this was the tenth school shooting this year in the US; none of them to this magnitude though.  Very disturbing that schools are targets.

[Edit to add:  CTV 11 pm news report indicated that there were 41 shooting cases in schools this year.]

George Wallace said:
Very sad news.

The news I heard on CTV, mentioned that this was the tenth school shooting this year in the US; none of them to this magnitude though. Very disturbing that schools are targets.

Because they are no gun zones and the lowlifes know that no one will challenge them there.

After the inaction following Sandy hook, nothing will ever move Americans.

Expect this for generations to come.

This school wasn't a gun-free zone.  If you had a conceal carry permit, you were legally permitted to be armed, and there have been reports that there were armed students present.

Altair said:
After the inaction following Sandy hook, nothing will ever move Americans.

Expect this for generations to come.

And what, pray tell, is that supposed to mean?

jollyjacktar said:
He was asking them if they were Christian.

I was worried that would be the case. The article you linked to calls him a "friendless loner" who lived with his mom and surfed dating sites. I hate to give him any publicity, as it looks like he was after some attention, but I'm interested in knowing more about the shooter.

Sadly, you'll get your wish in spades I'm afraid.  This turd will be infamous for the next little bit with all sorts of details about his loser life and death.

jollyjacktar said:
Sadly, you'll get your wish in spades I'm afraid.  This turd will be infamous for the next little bit with all sorts of details about his loser life and death.

While the actual event that happened is the saddest part, the fact that people are so obsessed with knowing everything about the killer deeply saddens me. I have never understood the general population's fascination with with murderers, rapists and the like. People should be more focused on the victims and how to prevent situations like this.

I know that some will mask their need to know about the killer under the guise of wanting to understand motives and how to prevent things like this, but it generally seems like some sick need to know gory details.

My  :2c:

jollyjacktar said:

There is some hope though.  Here is an article that shows that some journalists will cover other aspects of 'the story':

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/10/02/forget-oregon-s-gunman-remember-the-hero-who-charged-straight-at-him.html?source=TDB&via=FB_Page

George Wallace said:
There is some hope though.  Here is an article that shows that some journalists will cover other aspects of 'the story':

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/10/02/forget-oregon-s-gunman-remember-the-hero-who-charged-straight-at-him.html?source=TDB&via=FB_Page

True enough, he's getting mentioned in more than one publication.  Yes, celebrate the heros and flush the turds.

jollyjacktar said:
True enough, he's getting mentioned in more than one publication.  Yes, celebrate the heros and flush the turds.

Furthermore, his name is all over Reddit and he is being celebrated as a hero. Apparently he has had surgery and is doing well, lots of coverage on his recovery. I am impressed.

Loachman said:
And what, pray tell, is that supposed to mean?
Put it this way:

When the USA decided that 20 four and five year olds getting their heads blown off by a legally bought weapon was ok (no one even talks about Sandy Hook anymore) the gun debate ended in the States.

Frankly, if Americans don't care about the death they bring to each-other, why should we? 

I used to care and feel bad for Americans when it came to guns, but when they decided that Sandy Hook was no big deal I stopped caring.

eharps said:
While the actual event that happened is the saddest part, the fact that people are so obsessed with knowing everything about the killer deeply saddens me. I have never understood the general population's fascination with with murderers, rapists and the like. People should be more focused on the victims and how to prevent situations like this.

I know that some will mask their need to know about the killer under the guise of wanting to understand motives and how to prevent things like this, but it generally seems like some sick need to know gory details.

My  :2c:

This showed up in my FB feed today. I'm in no way trying to impose anything on anyone. I'm sharing this because it's about one of the victims who showed incredible courage, I think. It touched me also, because of the mentioning of The Salvation Army, which I was raised in and used to be very involved with.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/10/02/proud-to-be-a-christian-read-poignant-statement-from-family-of-student-killed-in-oregon-shooting/?utm_source=facebook

Altair said:
Put it this way:

When the USA decided that 20 four and five year olds getting their heads blown off by a legally bought weapon was ok (no one even talks about Sandy Hook anymore) the gun debate ended in the States.

Frankly, if Americans don't care about the death they bring to each-other, why should we?

I used to care and feel bad for Americans when it came to guns, but when they decided that Sandy Hook was no big deal I stopped caring.

you be happy to know that gun homicides in the US have been trending downwards since the 90's with most places quite safe. However shootings like this have risen, but another common denominator is the shooters being on anti-depressants.

Altair said:
Put it this way:

He killed the kids with the gun legally bought and owned by his mother whom he murdered and stole the gun from.

The mental health issue, the potentiel effect of anti-depressant drugs and the inability to pass on important information within the framework of their existing laws is what the real issues are. Also reports of people online goading him on to do the deed. I would love to see those people hunted down and charge with accessory to murder. Even if the charges are eventually dropped, the message will be clear to those sh*theads. 

The only way to stop or mitigate the actions of madmen is to be prepared to stop them with your own weapons and skills.

Shrek1985 said:
The only way to stop or mitigate the actions of madmen is to be prepared to stop them with your own weapons and skills.

Or you can use Ben Carson's approach, yell "Hey Everyone, he can't kill all of us so charge him!" and then sneak away while the mayhem rises. >:D

Back