• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Our North - SSE Policy Update Megathread

Charlottetown is also a city, but people from Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, etc., don't see tit that way.

I'm not saying Whitehorse isn't a nice place, I'm simply pointing out that most young people want to live in big cities. Regardless of how nice Whitehorse is, it's not a big city.
It's not even a big town...population of 30,252.

That would place it at the 62nd largest municipality in Ontario...in between Orangeville and Centre Wellington.

In the words of the ancient army:

If the army wanted you to have a wife they would have issued you one.

Another reason for short term engagements. 1 year in camp. 2 years in the boonies. 5 years in the reserves.

The careerists can work their remote jobs in the cities.
I can’t even think of any RCAF tech or operator trades where you can get fully qualified in a year, even if there was zero waiting time and annual leave wasn’t a thing.

Canada to acquire MQ-9B SkyGuardian Drones to monitor Arctic Ocean

Day 213: Ocean still wet.

Comox has a lot of newer fleets heading its way, where they getting all that ramp space? Don’t even think about paving that golf course…

Day 213: Ocean still wet.

Comox has a lot of newer fleets heading its way, where they getting all that ramp space? Don’t even think about paving that golf course…
P-8, MQ-9B, CC-295…what else? Of those, the MQ-9B is the only addition.

Charlottetown is also a city, but people from Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, etc., don't see it that way.

I'm not saying Whitehorse isn't a nice place, I'm simply pointing out that most young people want to live in big cities. Regardless of how nice Whitehorse is, it's not a big city.
Mate...

Between Charlottetown and Whitehorse...oooooffffff that's a hard one...

if I was a young person trying to choose between the two, for the amenities or a 'bigger city' kinda feel, I'd be stumped.

desperate women here that will settle for anything
Yup, sounds like my youth.

Charlottetown is also a city, but people from Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, etc., don't see it that way.

Many people from Toronto don't see surrounding communities such as Markham, Richmond Hill or Mississauga that way. Heck, some don't see north of Eglinton Ave that way. They will endlessly complain they can't afford to live or can't find a decent job, but endlessly declare that they won't move and it's all the government's fault.

Mate...

Between Charlottetown and Whitehorse...oooooffffff that's a hard one...

if I was a young person trying to choose between the two, for the amenities or a 'bigger city' kinda feel, I'd be stumped.
Charolttwtown is a one day drive away from Boston, Montreal, Quebec, etc... Whitehouse, not so much. 😉

It's not even a big town...population of 30,252.

That would place it at the 62nd largest municipality in Ontario...in between Orangeville and Centre Wellington.
It goes way up in the summer with all the tourists (lot of Germans due to some kind of Western cowboy wilderness fantasy or something) as well as a lot of Quebec students working there for the summer. Not sure if they still do it, but when I was there for one summer they did a St. Jean Baptiste day celebration.

It goes way up in the summer with all the tourists (lot of Germans due to some kind of Western cowboy wilderness fantasy or something) as well as a lot of Quebec students working there for the summer. Not sure if they still do it, but when I was there for one summer they did a St. Jean Baptiste day celebration.

There's an understatement .... ;)

Teepees, Powwows And ‘Indianer’ Camps: Germany’s Long Fascination With Indigenous Culture​

The obsession started when German author Karl May wrote a series of books featuring an Apache warrior called ‘Winnetou’ in the 1890’s.
Author and playwright Drew Hayden Taylor was living in Dawson City, Yukon when he noticed that large numbers of German tourists were flooding into Canada’s westernmost territory. Demand for tours was so high that a German airline had added a direct flight from Frankfurt to Whitehorse, serviced by a 767 jumbo jet. He was surprised to discover that these German visitors were extremely curious about local Indigenous groups.

But where did these German tourists develop a passion for Indigenous culture? This question would take Taylor and a team of filmmakers to Germany, where they discovered a fascination with North American Indigenous culture that traces back more than a century. That journey is documented in CBC Docs POV film, Searching for Winnetou.

There's an understatement .... ;)

Teepees, Powwows And ‘Indianer’ Camps: Germany’s Long Fascination With Indigenous Culture​

The obsession started when German author Karl May wrote a series of books featuring an Apache warrior called ‘Winnetou’ in the 1890’s.
Author and playwright Drew Hayden Taylor was living in Dawson City, Yukon when he noticed that large numbers of German tourists were flooding into Canada’s westernmost territory. Demand for tours was so high that a German airline had added a direct flight from Frankfurt to Whitehorse, serviced by a 767 jumbo jet. He was surprised to discover that these German visitors were extremely curious about local Indigenous groups.

But where did these German tourists develop a passion for Indigenous culture? This question would take Taylor and a team of filmmakers to Germany, where they discovered a fascination with North American Indigenous culture that traces back more than a century. That journey is documented in CBC Docs POV film, Searching for Winnetou.

So, similar to the flood of Japanese tourists that descend/descended on PEI after Anne of Green Gables was popular over there.

Back