• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Our North - SSE Policy Update Megathread

You mean you can't do a weekend jaunt from Toronto to Vancouver in a rental car?

Ask me about the accountant in Peterborough that wanted me to follow up a $200 dunning letter with a face to face collection call. Apparently Resolute was close enough to Calgary for his purposes.

Now, see, if I'd been a different person I could have added Resolute to my scrap book. I really screwed the pooch on that Samoan opportunity though. :LOL:

While the world remains fixated on Russia's war in Ukraine, Moscow is strategically expanding its influence globally. With a firm foothold in the Middle East supporting Iran and sending support to the Houthis, and growing involvement in Central Africa, Russia's next strategic objective appears to be the High North and the Arctic. This ambition, coupled with increasing collusion with China, presents a new and complex dilemma for NATO, forcing the alliance to adapt to evolving threats in a region of increasing geopolitical importance.

Russia’s Arctic Ambitions​

Driven by a desire to control vital transit routes, exploit vast natural resources, and project military power, Moscow's aspirations in the Arctic are multifaceted and alarming. This manifests in several key ways:

Hybrid Threats​

Russia is employing a range of hybrid tactics, including cyberattacks, disinformation campaigns, and the use of proxies to conduct surveillance and sabotage critical infrastructure in the High North.

You mean you can't do a weekend jaunt from Toronto to Vancouver in a rental car?
We used to train Dutch Pilots. We had a bunch on my Primary Flying Course (Beechcraft Mouseketeer) in Portage in January-March 1979. Dutch guys always bought the biggest cars available. One could always identify a Dutchmobile as it floated down the highway, especially from behind, not only by its huge size, but also by the six visible heads.

One of the other fellows noticed a few of them poring over a whole-of-Canada road map in the student lounge one day early in the course, while discussing their planned weekend (a regular weekend, not a long weekend) road trip.

"Where are you guys going?"

"Montreal."

"Do you know how far that is?"

"Yes. It's this (finger indication) far on the map."

"Do you realize that that is about the same distance between Amsterdam and Moscow?"

We used to train Dutch Pilots. We had a bunch on my Primary Flying Course (Beechcraft Mouseketeer) in Portage in January-March 1979. Dutch guys always bought the biggest cars available. One could always identify a Dutchmobile as it floated down the highway, especially from behind, not only by its huge size, but also by the six visible heads.

One of the other fellows noticed a few of them poring over a whole-of-Canada road map in the student lounge one day early in the course, while discussing their planned weekend (a regular weekend, not a long weekend) road trip.

"Montreal."

"Do you realize that that is about the same distance between Amsterdam and Moscow?"
Nobody ever looks at the map scale. Same with the Ontario road map. Southern Ontario on one side and the north on the other - but the scale is different.

To them, "scale" is depicted by how close towns are together on the map.

"Montreal."

In a related vein, I remember talking to a Brit soldier in CFB Suffield once who mentioned that it took longer for them to fly from Gander to Calgary then it did to fly across the Atlantic.

In a related vein, I remember talking to a Brit soldier in CFB Suffield once who mentioned that it took longer for them to fly from Gander to Calgary then it did to fly across the Atlantic.

Which is one reason I keep harping on about Nordkapp, Spitzbergen, Thule and Alert.

They are a lot closer to each other than Trenton is to anywhere.

Which is one reason I keep harping on about Nordkapp, Spitzbergen, Thule and Alert.

They are a lot closer to each other than Trenton is to anywhere.
An Englishman was sending his young daughter to stay with his brother in Vancouver for a couple of weeks.

He was less than pleased with the cost of the flight, so booked her to Toronto, then telephoned his brother and asked him to pick her up there.

The brother responded, "Why don't you pick her up? You're closer."

Back