• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Paid Physical Fitness Time?

Pusser said:
On the Reserve side of things, one solution might be to put gyms in armouries.

For those units which do have gyms, the CoC has often made it difficult for off duty class A members to be allowed to come in for a workout. Claiming liability issues.

Pusser said:
On the Reserve side of things, one solution might be to put gyms in armouries.

My unit has one, though it is only open during working hours (0800-1600). It used to be open later but they reduced the hours.  Personally I've never set foot in a gym because I don't know what I'm doing. So I just eat properly and do cardio on my own time.

What is frustrating is that we have a nice parade square, equipped with basketball nets, ball hockey equipment and I believe volley ball nets and it is seldom used outside of unit level PT. Several units share the same armouries and I am fairly certain that there are several nights a week where no one is using it. However I'm paying out of pocket to join a drop in Ball hockey league in my city. I'm fairly certain we could set up a leauge whether it was drop/in or unit vs unit. Definitely have the equipment and people, would just need a group of people to organize and to be authorized to do it..

runormal said:
My unit has one, though it is only open during working hours (0800-1600). It used to be open later but they reduced the hours.  Personally I've never set foot in a gym because I don't know what I'm doing. So I just eat properly and do cardio on my own time.

What is frustrating is that we have a nice parade square, equipped with basketball nets, ball hockey equipment and I believe volley ball nets and it is seldom used outside of unit level PT. Several units share the same armouries and I am fairly certain that there are several nights a week where no one is using it. However I'm paying out of pocket to join a drop in Ball hockey league in my city. I'm fairly certain we could set up a leauge whether it was drop/in or unit vs unit. Definitely have the equipment and people, would just need a group of people to organize and to be authorized to do it..

You literally just described my unit. My building belong to the Naval Reserve Division I work for, but we share the base with 2 Army reserve units. Our building has a beautiful, well stocked gym, the drill deck has basketball nets, fittings for volleyball and badminton, and we have a ton of perfectly good sports gear for baseball, ball hockey, and a whole bunch of other sports. Until I came along and started pushing for ball hockey, no one ever used any of it! We even have Yoga gear!

PuckChaser said:
Thats not on. Any military fitness facility should be open 0530 to 2200 daily. The extra couple hours at $15/h or so per employee is money in the bank when you consider saved costs from a fit military member, even if they are a Cl A reservist.

I hope by "any military fitness facility" you mean an actual dedicated gym. We have a gym in our building that's stocked with enough cardio and weight equipment for probably a dozen people to be working out at the same time, but you will not see this building open outside of regular working hours (0800-1600).

kratz said:
For those units which do have gyms, the CoC has often made it difficult for off duty class A members to be allowed to come in for a workout. Claiming liability issues.

While we definitely haven't had the issue of liability come up, that could be because I've never actually seen a Class A member come use the gym outside of regular Class-A parade nights.

Good lord, Lumber: You're at HMCS STAR!

Don't complain ( [:)) about the facilities. You should have seen what they had before the fire.

Feel free to look up the ship's bell: Both of my son's names are engraved there.  [;)

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Good lord, Lumber: You're at HMCS STAR!

Don't complain ( [:)) about the facilities. You should have seen what they had before the fire.

Feel free to look up the ship's bell: Both of my son's names are engraved there.  [;)

Oh I wasnt complaining  about the facilities, I was decrying the lack of anyone using them!

Back