• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Parking in Ottawa

Greywolf

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's public day parking available around the corner of Bank and Laurier in Ottawa?  If not, are there other parking spots available around there for the day?

Not sure if there is one exactly on the corner of Bank and Laurier but there are quite a few lots you just have to drive around. (Watch your one way streets). Be prepared to put a deposit down as well. There are 2 hour spots on some of the surrounding streets but be warned about the "no stopping" limitations  on the streets signs. (which are usually during the afternoon rush hour 15:00-18:00)

Sorry don't know them off the top of my head. I know there are several. They just want a deposit so bring a twenty.

I googled this:

http://www.finditinottawa.com/app/search/cat-11008/

There is one on Laurier.....

Shamrock Parking Limited
141 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa, ON K1P5J3
(613)238-1355

The thing is I'm going to be driving in from out of town 2 hours away and I have to be at my appointment downtown by 0800. (Bank & Laurier)

Leave lots of time to get down there at 0800 on a weekday.....

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Leave lots of time to get down there at 0800 on a weekday.....

Especially since you'll be coming from Pet. Things can be really slow from the Corel Centre on. (Especially if there is an accident like there was this morning).

Hmm, if I leave at 0500  :boring:, would there be sufficient time to get there...?

If you decide to park in the metered spots along the downtown streets, beware of the signs that restrict paid parking to the hours of 0900-1530 hrs only.  I parked on Elgin about 8 blocks South of Parliament Hill last Monday, and came back to my vehicle with a lovely $40 ticket on the windshield for having been there (meter paid) 10 minutes after the 1530 cut-off.  I didn't see the sign, and was cut no slack despite the obvious rental (eg. tourist) status of the vehicle. 

Ottawa is merciless.  Go for a day-long lot.  It ain't cheap on the face of things, but if the alternative is a $40 basic parking ticket then the day lot is a comparative bargain.

FWIW.....

Mark C

I always park in the Westin / Rideau centre lot.  Expensive, but central.

Dave

If you decide to park in the metered spots along the downtown streets, beware of the signs that restrict paid parking to the hours of 0900-1530 hrs only.  I parked on Elgin about 8 blocks South of Parliament Hill last Monday, and came back to my vehicle with a lovely $40 ticket on the windshield for having been there (meter paid) 10 minutes after the 1530 cut-off. 

That is the "no stopping" by-law I was referring to. I just stuck $2 in a meter and two meter maids hoped out of there cars like cops on a bust. They told me about the fine and I was glad I only lost the $2. Nasty eh? I didn't see that sign either. I bet they make a fortune off of that. There is about one "no stopping" mini-sign for every 5 large parking signs. When you are cutting it close to meeting time you are just happy you found a free spot so you don't even see those.

I didn't see the sign, and was cut no slack despite the obvious rental (eg. tourist) status of the vehicle.
Reminds me of that mastercard commercial:

"I didn't see the sign"
"Hey - he didn't see the sign."
"Really!? You know you hear about this type of thing..."
"GET HIS CAR!"  ;D

I'll try to look for one of those parking lots where I can park for the day.  Meters won't work for me as my appointment takes almost the whole day.  I won't be able to keep running out and feeding the meters. 

you can park at L'Esplanade Laurier (Bank & Laurier), I believe it's $15 for the day, and World Exchange Plaza is a couple of blocks away (O'Connor & Slater) for $12/day I think.  There lots of parking at World Exchange.

Back