• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Parliament to consider changes to "O Canada"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets make it completely gender neutral and remove all references to God, before we offend a radicalized Islamic homophobe and he goes and shoots up a gay nightclub.

Ooops, too late.

To quote Taylor Swift, "Haters gonna hate, hate hate."

All this PC BS is going to achieve is make Canadians look that much awkward at international sporting events because we can't remember the currently acceptable words to our National Anthem.

Don't give a shit about how they change it, I'll continue to sing it as it was taught to me as a child and I have always known.  The Liberals can all get stuffed.

I wasn't born here. It's not my "native land". I mentally substitute "chosen land".

I don't sing anyway, for good reason, but stand at attention, and then give people shit for carrying on their petty conversations while it's been playing.

jollyjacktar said:
Don't give a crap about how they change it, I'll continue to sing it as it was taught to me as a child and I have always known.  The Liberals can all get stuffed.

Growing up in Ottawa for early school years, I actually learned it in French first, then English...then relearned it in English when they changed the words however long ago it was.  Still get messed up trying to sing it bilingually though...I can only really do it in one or the other. 

As for the nature of the thread...PET Jr needs to cure his CRIS ASAP and deal with things of actual national importance. 

Also, to PET Jr if you happen to be reading this - WakeTFU and squash this Bill as a big oopsey, since it's wasting the salary I'm paying you and the time and salary of the other folks we're paying in the Houses of Commons and Senators to argue over something that is in fact politically correct BS because some people think they're more special than the rest of us AND forget they're Canadians, FULL STOP.  That's Canadian without the hyphen of whatever ethnic, religious, or sexually oriented group they belong to.

:2c: Cdn

MM

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/dying-mp-present-as-house-votes-225-74-to-change-o-canada-1.2947565

wish I could say I was surprised.

medicineman said:
Only in Canada...

MM

Well, yeah, where else would you see modification to the Canadian National Anthem made?................

Pretty sure MM meant that only in Canada would we adopt a bill just to make a dying member of Parliament feel good.

Parliament is not the Make a Wish Foundation.

I question why this is such a big deal - it's actually returning the anthem to closer to its original form.

It's a big deal because outside of the HoC most of Canadians are not interested in this happening and did not request it.  This is the HoC being a self licking ice cream cone when there are as far as I am concerned (and I am not alone) more pressing matters they should be spending their valuable time on.  (meeting deadlines for Assisted Dying legislation come to mind).  If it isn't broken, and honestly there is no massive hue and cry that it is, then, don't mess with it.  This same MP has made numerous unsuccessful attempts in the past with what is obviously his pet project to get it passed and into force.  If anything, I am more alarmed at the French lyrics than the English ones.

Well, they're certainly earning their self-awarded 8% pay raise. 

No one can tell me this legislation isn't well worth the $170,400 we're paying each of them (except the PM, who apparently can't afford nannies or his wife's lifestyle on a mere $340,800). 

jmt18325 said:
I question why this is such a big deal - it's actually returning the anthem to closer to its original form.

And most don't even know why it was changed in the first place.  And a generation from now most people won't even realise there was a change made unless it gets changed again or their grandparents are still yelling at clouds.

Journeyman said:
Well, they're certainly earning their self-awarded 8% pay raise. 

No one can tell me this legislation isn't well worth the $170,400 we're paying each of them (except the PM, who apparently can't afford nannies or his wife's lifestyle on a mere $340,800). 

Even Sunny Skies have to have a cloud or two.  I can only imagine how he must wonder how he'll stop living paycheck to paycheck like the rest of us...

jmt18325 said:
Remius said:
And most don't even know why it was changed in the first place.  And a generation from now most people won't even realise there was a change made unless it gets changed again or their grandparents are still yelling at clouds.

The wording is immaterial. It's a big deal because it went against the wishes of a majority of Canadians who said they didn't want it changed. The Libs did change it though, against those wishes, in order to make one of their own happy. In other words, the Libs don't care about consensus, they only care about what, they perceive, is good for the liberal party.

jmt18325 said:
Meanwhile, Tories vilified for returning to original CAF ranks and heraldry.

PuckChaser said:

I like my executive curl and being a member of the RCN, thank you very much, Mr. Harper.

PuckChaser said:

Did I do that?

This bill took zero time that wouldn't have been spent on another stupid private members bill.

Also, where are the stastics showing the numbers for and against (I found the 2013 poll) Further, when have issues of equality been decided by a popular vote?

I can't wait for them to remove God next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back