• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Partisan Political Activity

Nuggs

Reaction score
Apologies in advance, as there are a pile of threads already on this (most of them I read). However most of the existing threads are either regurgitation of the QR&O or personal opinion. Does anyone have a link that expands on / provides guidance on QR&O 19.44 with regards to member prohibitions?

7. No member of the Regular Force shall:
(a) take an active part in the affairs of a political organization or party;
(b) make a political speech to electors, or announce himself or allow himself to be announced as a candidate, or
(c) except with the permission of the Chief of the Defence Staff, accept an office in a municipal corporation or other local government body or allow himself to be nominated for election to such office.

8. No officer or non-commissioned member shall organize or take part in a political meeting on a defence establishment.

7A to me reads a huge catch all and depends on your definition of "active".

Can I (Assuming all done out of uniform in a personal context)?

1. Join a political party
2. Donate money to a party.
3. Vote for party candidates or attend party meetings.
4. Volunteer in a campaign office.
5. Send a letter to my MP (Complicated by the fact that he’s also the MND)

I can stand to be corrected, but I think the answer is yes to all of those, so long as you do not do so while identifying yourself as being a member of the CF.

You are a citizen first, a CF member second. This is normal political activity. You just cannot visibly relate your activity to your day job, such as wearing a uniform, etc. while performing it.

I agree with GAP. As far as I'm aware, that provision only means that you cannot actually hold a position within a political party.

Hmmm.  It seems to me that being a card-carrying member of  a poliical party, participating in its leadership/candidate selection process and working in its campaign offices would be a pretty "active part" in its affairs.

I do beleive there are CANFORGENs that come out from time to time, usually around election time that reiterate this.

IIRC the instructions we used to get from time to time, the answers would be yes to 1, 2, 3A - but not 3B, and 5. No to #B and 4.

By the way, 5: writing to your MP - whomever he may be - is not a partisan politic matter, but rather a fundamental democratic right in our system of government. Any constituent is always entitled to write his MP and let him/her know how they feel about any of the business of the country, regardless of either the MP or the constituent's political affiliation or lack thereof.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
By the way, 5: writing to your MP - whomever he may be - is not a partisan politic matter, but rather a fundamental democratic right in our system of government. Any constituent is always entitled to write his MP and let him/her know how they feel about any of the business of the country, regardless of either the MP or the constituent's political affiliation or lack thereof.
True, as long as you're not writing as a member of the CF (or wearing your military "hat", as it were).

Jim Seggie said:
I do beleive there are CANFORGENs that come out from time to time, usually around election time that reiterate this.

I have no DWAN access currently (On outsource training), I did have a look through the online archives and but couldn't find anything specific. I did have a look through http://www.forces.gc.ca/jag/elections/index-eng.asp as well.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
IIRC the instructions we used to get from time to time, the answers would be yes to 1, 2, 3A - but not 3B, and 5. No to #B and 4.

Any idea where I'd dig up on old copy of those instructions?

As for the second part I was aware, its just an odd situation as he's MND, thus his portfolio and my obligations as a member could be at odds with my personal opinion.

edit: spelling correction

Back