• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pathfinder

• Thread starter fortuncookie5084
  • Start date
F

fortuncookie5084

Please tell me what the prerequisites for the Pathfinder course are. What skills are desired and should be developed? Is Pathfinder taught in Canada only at CPC Trenton? Where is the Torch worn on CF‘s?

The prereq. for the pathfinder course are Bacic Para, JLC, Recce, DZ/LZ controller. Freefall is an asset. The course is only taught by the cadre at CPC Trenton and the torch is worn on the left pocket.

Yes officers can do the course provided they meet the same prereq.

What courses would an officer be required to take in place of the JLC and the Recce? Or would these be written off as part of phase training?

:cool: Yard Ape

Must have recce, or better yet, advanced recce. Officers are already "leaders" right?

On the jump smock the torch is worn on the left arm.

on the not of the jump smock what is going to happen to it now that there is cadpat?

JH

It will become obsolete and be relegated to museums and "i love me rooms...". As a matter of fact, in less than 2 years from now, there will be no parachute capability left in the CF... at all !!! It is a shame, but it certainly will make some people happy. :mad:

Jungle, do you have any facts to back up your statement or is just another rumour?

I suspect that the CPC staff will continue wearing the jump smock with green combat pants. It would look strange wearing DPM top and CADPAT bottoms. It;d be unfortunate to get rid of them altogether, it‘s nice to see what your instructors qualifications are(foreign jump wings, pathinder, etc) plus it adds to the ‘Airborne mystique‘ for course candidates. I liked it because if you had a problem or question you could glance around and see whoever was wearing the jump smock.

Does anyone know why they (instructors and riggers @ CPC) don‘t jump in their smock? Is it so it doesn‘t get torn or stained or are they not allowed to?

I may be wrong but I believe that it makes no sense for the goverment to throw away the para capability. What eveidence is there that this will happen. Besides why would they stop para training soldiers when they just spent 2million on a new DZ??

JH

I did not think officers could take the Recce course.

:cool: Yard Ape

Spacemarine, it is not a rumour... as i stated before, i served 2 tours with the Cdn AB Regt, and 5 more years in a jump position in a light inf battalion. The CO said the LIB‘s will start dismantling in the next months, and should cease to exist in the summer of 2003. Now this means the Para coys will disappear, and there are no plans to replace them at this moment. The fate of CPC is not clear, but it will more than likely change mandate, to provide more support to the Air Force in air-drop preparations and training. Now the smock is rarely worn for jumps because it is a traditional dress, and jumped on special occasions. Also, they are not very sturdy and degrade rapidly with heavy use. I agree it is a beautiful piece of kit, and loved wearing it. :cdn:

Where will the troops from the Light battalions go? Will they be moved to the mechanized battalions or will they just get a new role and become a mechanized battalion? It‘s too bad Canada‘s losing it‘s airborne capability, I would have liked to be part of the PPCLI jump coy. Do you think that it would be possible for me to get into a jump coy if I joined the regular force right now (I already have my wings), or would I have to spend time in a regular infantry company first?

Since you were in the Airborne Regiment and later the jump coy I have a question for you, why don‘t the jump coys wear the smock? Was it just so they didn‘t look out of place with the rest of their infantry regiment?

Well, maybe you could serve in a jump coy, but probably not for very long... in any case, i wish you good luck jumper, and soft landings. Now about the smock, when we set up the jump coy in the location i was posted to, we requested permission to wear the smock, and permission was denied. The exact reason ? i am not sure... but it probably has to do with identity to a distinct, special group... hell, some people wanted us to remove the marroon beret !!! There are a lot of anti-airborne people out there... The troops from the LIB‘s will go reinforce the existing mech battalions... i don‘t know how this will make things better... rotations will only come faster!!! :cdn:

the light infantry concept gone? are we the only country to do this?? What will happen to the Princess Pat‘s LIGHT INFANTRY? The para capablity gone altogether? I cannot believe that the Cdn govt is trying to attract troops whie destroying what I think are reasons to join.

my two bits

Like all Reg Force Infantry regiments, the PPCLI is 2/3 mechanised. Don‘t be fooled by the name.

:fifty: Yard Ape

and we‘ll all be wearing black berets in a few years..............

Hey Garrett...err...Sir, you finally decided to crawl on over from SOCNET....

Back