• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pay - Reserve BMQ

Bernieman said:
Hi everyone, I hope that I am posting this is the right spot. This is my first post.

I have heard that when a 1st year Private Reservist is doing their BMQ during the Summer, that you get paid for every day of the month.  That would be $96.06 for every day of the month, even weekends when on leave.  Is this true? (Doesn't sound right but...)

Also, is there some kind of allowance of $17.30 per day? Do you get that when at the BMQ?

Thanks

Yes, you will get paid $96.06 for all of the days you are away on training.

$17.30 per day for Incidentals which is to cover things like haircuts, hygiene products, razor blades.

You will also get CLDA (Casual Land Duty Allowance), approx. $12/day for each day spent in the field.

Bernieman said:
Hi everyone, I hope that I am posting this is the right spot. This is my first post.

I have heard that when a 1st year Private Reservist is doing their BMQ during the Summer, that you get paid for every day of the month.  That would be $96.06 for every day of the month, even weekends when on leave.  Is this true? (Doesn't sound right but...)

Also, is there some kind of allowance of $17.30 per day? Do you get that when at the BMQ?

Thanks

Yes, sort of.
You have mixed pay and benefits with your questions.

You will receive your pay for BMQ $96.06 gross (before deductions) for every day of your "contract", including annual leave (vacation) days.
Your pay will be direct deposit to your bank account.

The $17.30 per day are for Incidental expenses, LunchMeat gave examples.
This benefit is tax free and is part of your Temporary Duty claim. You will normally be given a small advance on this claim before you depart for BMQ, with the rest paid out after your return to your unit from your course.

And yes, that pay will include weekends and vacation days off (you earn two of those per month). It basically approximates being on salary where you’re paid a fixed amount per month/year.

Thanks for the quick replies!

The reason that I am asking this is because my nephew, who is only 16 yrs old and still in high school, joined the Reserves a week before BMQ started this Summer and was only paid for the weekdays and did not get a $17.30 allowance. 

He should've been on a Class "B" contract for reservists, right? (According to www.cafconnection.ca: students who work full time during the summer months are on a Class “B” contract and return to being Class “A” during the school year. Class “A” Reservists work part time. They may work as little as 3 hours per month or as much as 12 full days per month. Class “B” contracts can be as short as 14 days or as long as 3 years.)

I am thinking that maybe they kept him as a Class "A" in the pay system and that's why he didn't get paid as much. Make sense? 

Who should he see about this, the Orderly Room? Is there something specific that he should get them to check? For example, would they have a Class "B" Contract on file? I would hate to see him get under paid because of an admin error. Any suggestions?

Thanks again

Bernieman said:
Thanks for the quick replies!

The reason that I am asking this is because my nephew, who is only 16 yrs old and still in high school, joined the Reserves a week before BMQ started this Summer and was only paid for the weekdays and did not get a $17.30 allowance. 

He should've been on a Class "B" contract for reservists, right? (According to www.cafconnection.ca: students who work full time during the summer months are on a Class “B” contract and return to being Class “A” during the school year. Class “A” Reservists work part time. They may work as little as 3 hours per month or as much as 12 full days per month. Class “B” contracts can be as short as 14 days or as long as 3 years.)

I am thinking that maybe they kept him as a Class "A" in the pay system and that's why he didn't get paid as much. Make sense? 

Who should he see about this, the Orderly Room? Is there something specific that he should get them to check? For example, would they have a Class "B" Contract on file? I would hate to see him get under paid because of an admin error. Any suggestions?

Thanks again

Was he actually sent away somewhere full time for the summer? Did he actually do his BMQ training? Was it through a high school co-op program where he did BMQ as part of his school time?

When we work during the training -year (generally corresponds with the school year) we normally meet an evening or two a week and get a half day's pay. That's called 'Class A' service, generally we sign in on a pay sheet each time (I'm simplifying). Class B service is when you're working full time for a span of generally two weeks or more. A course like BMQ if done full time generally runs a month, and then yes you would be on Class B.

There is a limit to how many full days of Class A service a soldier can be paid for in a month. I think it's 16, I know it's close to that. It's to prevent abuse of Class A when troops should in fac tbe on Class B because they're functionally working full time.

The $17.30 daily allowance applies when you are sent away from your normal place of work for overnight / extended travel. It's 'incidentals' allowance, which is intended to cover for the fact that when away for home you incur extra costs (laundry, items you need and would normally have at home but must buy, etc). As a general rule of thumb, if you're sleeping at home, you don't get that.

Thanks Brihard,

Just wanted to reply - yes he did BMQ full time this Summer. He was away from home staying/sleeping on Base. But he did go home for one weekend.

Bernieman said:
Thanks Brihard,

Just wanted to reply - yes he did BMQ full time this Summer. He was away from home staying/sleeping on Base. But he did go home for one weekend.

The answers to these questions should have been taught to your nephew on his BMQ, it's part of the course.
Going home for one weekend is his "off hours" and does not affect pay.

The best person to ask these questions is your nephew going to his unit's Orderly Room (OR).
Something can easily have been missed.

It's his career and he should be asking for answers.

You're right, it's his career! Yes, HE will have to inquire to find out what happend. Now that I have an idea of how it works, I will encourage him to go back and ask.
Again, I appreciate the help with this. Cheers!

Unless the claim process has changed, he'll need to bring his route letter back to his unit, in ordered to actually be paid the TD. You don't get paid it until you return (unless you ask for an advance).

Back