• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pay: Statements, Backpay, Benefits, Deductions (Taxes, T4), Deployed ect... [MERGED]

DAA said:
Your Monthly Pay Statement will only show Fed Tax.  Just the way it is done.  But rest assured, a portion of what you see, does go to your respective province.  The pay system takes into account your "province of employment" and adjusts itself accordingly.  Even the RPSR (Res F) Pay Statements do not show provincial tax, so I would not be worried about it.

:nod:    The pay statements for civil servants don't show provincial tax either (at least, for those working outside Quebec).  There's a spot for it, but no amount listed.  The feds send that money to the province once you file your fed & provincial taxes (generally at the same time - but again, it's different in Qc).

bridges said:
. . . . . The feds send that money to the province once you file your fed & provincial taxes (generally at the same time - but again, it's different in Qc).

Actually they "send that money" to the province of employment throughout the year.  The feds make 48 installments a year (4 times a month) to the provinces.

Blackadder1916 said:
Actually they "send that money" to the province of employment throughout the year.  The feds make 48 installments a year (4 times a month) to the provinces.

OK - thanks.  That's good to know. 

I guess for the OP, the important thing is that the feds settle the account as a result of the filing of taxes - as opposed to your employer sending the taxes directly to the province.  Again, exceptions for Quebec.

Well, I have a tax related question that may belong here since it's on topc:

I just got posted to Alberta from the beautiful province (aka La Belle Province aka Quebecistan) and I payed a lot of taxes last year so I asked the pay office in QC to take an extra $50 off my pay.  It is under "other deductions" and titled "extra quebec income tax".

I do not live there anymore so I do not need this deducted anymore.  I went to my BOR and we weren't quite sure of how to remove the allotment.

I was given a TD1 slip to fill out but the only option that looks like it fits what I want to do is on the second page and is a box to have "additional tax to be deducted".  I doubt this is the right place because that is theortically what is already happening. I want to reverse it.

Any ideas?

Submit the new TD1 without the "Additional Tax" box filled out.  Make sure the clerk knows that there is a change to your reqeust for additional tax.

That should take care of it.

Makes sense to me..

I was wondering though, I never filled that form out when I started it...  Is that a good or bad thing?

I was thinking of putting a -$50 to counteract but will follow your wise advice. Though I suspect a sticky note attached would help any questions?  or highlight the block?

Bzzliteyr said:
Makes sense to me..

I was wondering though, I never filled that form out when I started it...  Is that a good or bad thing?

I was thinking of putting a -$50 to counteract but will follow your wise advice. Though I suspect a sticky note attached would help any questions?  or highlight the block?

No sticky note - it will just fall off.  Either write your request right on the form, or write "see attached memo" and then attach a memo.   

Strictly speaking, the former pay clerk should not have added the +$50 for deductions without the form on file - it must have been your charming personality and good looks...

Did your T4 indicate the extra $600 at the end of the year? It sounds that by making it an other deduction, more work would have been required by the Pay staff, rather than adjusting it correctly in the pay system to automatically deduct the increased tax amount.

Maybe someone was getting a $50 a month bonus in their pay account >:D

Will the fact that this is "extra QUEBEC income tax" matter?

We have provincial taxes to pay separately.

Bzzliteyr said:
Will the fact that this is "extra QUEBEC income tax" matter?

We have provincial taxes to pay separately.

Of course, QUEBEC always matters! [/sarcasm]

You may not remember filling out a TD-1 to have extra "Quebec provincial" tax deducted at source because the TD-1 has nothing to do with that province.  They have their own form to "Request to have additional tax deducted at source" (TP-1017-V ?).  Since Quebec is no longer your province of employment (or residence) all tax/QPP remittances to La Belle Province from your pay should be automatically stopped.  "Should" is the operative word; perhaps you should check, but it shouldn't require any new forms to cancel the additional amount.

That's the issue for me.  Is this really an "official" deduction?  I mean, wouldn't I be seeing it somewhere else if it were the case?

This seems so simple but at the same time might end up complicated.

Bzzliteyr said:
That's the issue for me.  Is this really an "official" deduction?  I mean, wouldn't I be seeing it somewhere else if it were the case?

This seems so simple but at the same time might end up complicated.

I'm confused (which isn't uncommon).  What do you mean by "official" and "seeing it somewhere else"? 

There are standard amounts withheld at source for income tax, CPP/QPP, EI and remitted to CRA (or RRQ for Quebec provincial amounts).  They should be reflected on your paystub monthly in the appropriate boxes and similarly on the T4 slip and the RL-1 (for Quebec provincial amounts).  If the normal amount deducted for Quebec provincial income tax is "x" and you requested to have an additional "y" deducted, then the only indication on your pay statement should be an amount of "x+y" in the provincial tax box.

And that's my point here.  On my pay statement, bottom left, "transaction details", "other deductions" there is a line that says "extra Quebec income tax".

Hi y'all...  Am I reading this right?
I was looking on the Forces.ca website at the payscales (Reg Force DEO officer  vs ROTP), and see something I can't make sense of, please help... I'm coming to the Forces with Science Degree in hand, paid outta my own pocket.  But I see the DEO pay is less than ROTP pay, and that just doesn't make sense to me.

If I understand this right, someone who's already absorbed 4 yrs' salary from the Forces, and had the Forces pay their entire 4-year university costs will be getting paid MORE than someone who's made that SIGNIFICANT investment of time and $$ on their own, without costing the Forces or taxpayers a penny??  (insert subsidized-education argument here! lol)

Reason I ask is because I'm a mature applicant, and would be having to leave a gov't union secure job to serve our country.  I'm not looking to get rich, just don't wanna hafta take a big step backwards $$-wise and bankrupt my family in order to do it!

Can someone tell me if I'm reading that right? 

You are reading that right.  You'll notice several pay scales.  DEO is on the low end.  Those coming from the ranks through a variety of programs are on the high end because of their previous time in and rates of pay at those ranks.

Like any organization, people with 4 years in (even if it is ROTP) will be paid more than people with 1 day in (like a DEO) when they hold the same rank.  ROTP, at 2Lt, makes more than DEO at 2Lt, because they have 4 years service, and presumably, BMOQ/several other courses out of the way already.

Duckman54 said:
Hi y'all...  Am I reading this right?
I was looking on the Forces.ca website at the payscales (Reg Force DEO officer  vs ROTP), and see something I can't make sense of, please help... I'm coming to the Forces with Science Degree in hand, paid outta my own pocket.  But I see the DEO pay is less than ROTP pay, and that just doesn't make sense to me.

If I understand this right, someone who's already absorbed 4 yrs' salary from the Forces, and had the Forces pay their entire 4-year university costs will be getting paid MORE than someone who's made that SIGNIFICANT investment of time and $$ on their own, without costing the Forces or taxpayers a penny??  (insert subsidized-education argument here! lol)

Reason I ask is because I'm a mature applicant, and would be having to leave a gov't union secure job to serve our country.  I'm not looking to get rich, just don't wanna hafta take a big step backwards $$-wise and bankrupt my family in order to do it!

Can someone tell me if I'm reading that right?

These are individuals who have already committed 3-5 years' service and typically commission with some to all of their DP1 complete. Many will also have progressed well into DP2. The DEO applicant comissions with no committed service and no progress towards DP1 and, very rarely, with some progress towards DP2.

Perhaps as a MATURE individual youll see the SIGNIFICANT return on investment the ROTP officer represents vs the DEO candidate who will likely spend most of his lieutenancy in the training system.

Stand by for an B.A. grad's take on the (on average) math: a ROTP candidate spends 4 years as a OCdt earning a yearly average of $19,020 over that time. They finish at RMC/civvy U and are commissioned. Then they spend a minimum of 2 years as a 2Lt and 2 years as a Lt before they can become a Capt, at which time whichever entry program they came in on is moot. Total salary in 8 years = $301,464 or $37,683 annual.
The DEO joins and upon completion of BOTP (which should only take a few months as training often starts a few days after you join) is a 2nd Lt - and was paid like one even as an OCdt, if I remember correctly). If your next courses line up, you could be done in two years, at which point you're promoted to Lt, and need only spend one year in rank before becoming a captain. So within those same eight years, the DEO makes total $505,836/$63,230 per year.
So from my math, it costs an RMC grad just over $200,000 for a degree, and they have to stay in the military long enough to "pay it back" or face financial penalties.
There's other ways that being a ring-knocker pays off, but in the initial years, this ain't one of them...

Ralph said:
Stand by for an B.A. grad's take on the (on average) math: a ROTP candidate spends 4 years as a OCdt earning a yearly average of $19,020 over that time. They finish at RMC/civvy U and are commissioned. Then they spend a minimum of 2 years as a 2Lt and 2 years as a Lt before they can become a Capt, at which time whichever entry program they came in on is moot. Total salary in 8 years = $301,464 or $37,683 annual.
I'm not disagreeing or anything, I'm just wondering where you get this info?  Is 2 yrs at 2Lt + 2 at Lt required time in for promotion to Captain for ROTP grads?  That's news to me.

Primarily to Shamrock...
Sorry you didn't care for my question... no intention of insulting anyone, just asking how this works, and perhaps why? I'm ALWAYS looking to learn something new, have no problem standing corrected, and most of all hate being misinformed...  Hence coming here, to the experts. I sincerely welcome being Set Straight on any topic if I'm wrong, or simply looking at it the wrong way. No need to feel threatened or belittled by someone asking a question or seeiking more info. NOTHING in my original post was meant to be critical of the process, merely inquisitive. Please don't object to someone asking a question, else the purpose of these forums is in doubt...

My life experience and training are thus far significant in the civilian world.  Science Degree, Commercial/Multi-IFR pilot license, advanced First Aid/Defib, Rescue SCUBA diver, Advanced Sailing, Taser (harder to get than firearms license these days!), munitions, Peace Officer, ERT advanced tactics, the list goes on I won't bore you...

...BUT in terms of military I'm a mere "applicant" and don't know your terms of DP1 or DP2, think I get the meaning, tho...  However, I clearly understand your argument that a fresh DEO 2LT has "1 day in" and thus no claims to seniority of any kind, and I don't dispute your point whatsoever that I would likely spend most of my Lieutenancy in some sort of training, given the time scales involved.

BUT...  that's no different than the ROTP grad example you just cited. This person, yes with 3-5 years in, has ALSO been in training the ENTIRE time, taken in approx $150-200k in salary, plus the cost of that 4-yr education  (approx another $25-30k?), and just getting out of University has also provided the taxpayer with zero tangible service by that point. Correct me if I'm wrong, but University students (ROTP or otherwise) don't generally apply their trade until completed? Don't deploy? Don't perform resupply missions, fight, practice medicine, fly, etc?

Yes, you are absolutely correct that in between those 4-5 yrs of school, the ROTP candidate would have completed some of the courses I would be looking to begin on my 'Day 1', but we're talking a couple 7-9 week courses vs a 4-5 year degree.

As valuable as the ROTP program is, just basically wondering out loud why qualified applicants with education and life experience like myself, seem DIScouraged from applying (via payscales) in favor of someone fresh outta highschool with little skill foundation to build upon. Business-wise, seems best to recruit and retain qualified individuals... saves a LOT of time and $$, and our CF are no different than any other gov't outfit in experiencing serious budget pressures.  In my one case alone, CF would be saved 5 years and approx $250k...  and that's if I don't skip Primary Flight Training! (thus saving more time, freeing up a spot for another student, skipping the months of OJT before and/or after, etc)

This post is in no way meant to be arrogant, it's an honest inquiry. No need to squash someone's Profile cuz you disagree...

Back