• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Paying Compliments (Saluting, Verbal Address)

Bzzliteyr said:
The thing to remember is that you are saluting the Queen (i.e. the "commission") therefore if the officer hasn‘t been commissioned, then coming to attention will suffice as paying respects to that officer.  Here at CTC gagetown, it‘s rare that we salute anything that is an Ocdt. or 2Lt.

Bzz

Last time I checked, a 2Lt. holds a Queen's commission...not saluting them is just plain wrong :eek: Whether they've been a 2Lt. for 10 mins or 10 yrs., one must remember the act of saluting is to demonstrate ones alliegance and loyalty to the Sovergien, and not so much as to the individual officer in question.

basically if an NCO greets you or walks past you outside, they must salute you, and you can return the favour; that is, if the NCO is in uniform.
I beg to differ on that, if an officer is saluted, they must return the compliment, it's not an issue of 'can'.

Soon2binfantry said:
You salute to your superior officers, every provincial flag and especially the Canadian flag.

(Edited by Moderator, compliments are not paid to provincial flags.)

You salute the Canadian flag if it passes by you on parade, or if it's being raised or lowered, but otherwise not (e.g. you don't salute the flag if you're walking by a flagpole from which one is flying).

Habitant said:
Can anybody explain saluting to me?

How? When? Who to Who? Under what circumstance? Finally, why?

I know this might be an easy question, but I searched the forum and it isn‘t already answered.

I am to be sworn in tomorrow as a 2Lt. and am a but nervous about the whole thing!

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about it because:

1)  You likely haven't been issued a uniform yet and thus won't have the proper dress to do one.
2)  You likely have not been formally taught how to do it, thus it won't be expected of you.

I suggest just standing at attention with the best posture that you can and act as professional and as curteous the officer as you possibly can.

J. Gayson said:
I wouldn't worry about it because:

1)  You likely haven't been issued a uniform yet and thus won't have the proper dress to do one.
2)  You likely have not been formally taught how to do it, thus it won't be expected of you.

I suggest just standing at attention with the best posture that you can and act as professional and as curteous the officer as you possibly can.
I wouldn't worry either....you are commenting on a post that is three years old and either he has learned all about saluting or has failed that PO/EO and is now a Retired Service Member (RSM).

The Fighting 47th said:
Last time I checked, a 2Lt. holds a Queen's commission...not saluting them is just plain wrong :eek: Whether they've been a 2Lt. for 10 mins or 10 yrs., one must remember the act of saluting is to demonstrate ones alliegance and loyalty to the Sovergien, and not so much as to the individual officer in question.
I beg to differ on that, if an officer is saluted, they must return the compliment, it's not an issue of 'can'.

I know where you are coming from, but it is very impractical in a training environment (with a very large population of 2nd Lt's) to salute every one that you see. I know I may burn in hell for this, but I know I don't. There is also an "attitude" (if you will) that until that 2nd Lt is trained (ie finishes his/her Phase 4 or equivalent) they aren't "worthy" of a salute. And, apparently, in the day an officer wouldn't get their 2Lt's until they were fully qualified, but it seems to have changed due to the various policies that have changed since then.

I'll put it this way, when I see a 2Lt wearing only the Armour fist (indicating that they are still in training) I, as a general rule, don't salute them. I do, however, when I see them struggling with an armful of books, or are carrying something in their right hand. I'm kidding about those examples, but not the following: there are some 2Lt's that I know that "deserve" to be saluted, whether it is because they have Been There Done That as a soldier, or they are someone I particularly respect (through actions that I have witnessed). Is that right (to be selective)? Probably not, but c'est la vie. I haven't been charged yet (for my selective saluting), and don't imagine I will be anytime in the near future.

Al

You are showing respect for the commission, not the experience of the person carrying it.....

Great concept to carry and put forward Al.......

dileas

tess

We've been down this road before. The regulations are there and it is up to the professionalism of serving officers and NCOs to apply them as intended, without personal editorializing.

Locked.

I asked the moderators to unlock this topic so I could contribute my 2c ....

This oldtimer has served with many nations (as a CF soldier), in many countries, on many bases. A professional soldier will salute all national flags, period! Will salute all officers, all the time, period, if in doubt because of lighting, uniform, nationality ... salute anyways.

On the UN bases around the world (I've been to) everybody salutes everybody (beats learning all the rank structures of every UN military). It is a greeting, even Canadian nco's, privates, corporals ... salute each other.

Some units & HQ's have a once in the AM once in the pm policy, which got me thinking: " have I seen him today yet ?" Nobody, except old tired SrNCO's are gonna give you a hard time if you salute them and you shouldn't have (ok I've done that too). In which case an appology is usualy accepted  ;)

End of my 2c ...

Neill McKay said:
You salute the Canadian flag if it passes by you on parade, or if it's being raised or lowered, but otherwise not (e.g. you don't salute the flag if you're walking by a flagpole from which one is flying).

What's the reference for this - I'd like a definitive answer.  I was under the assumption, as the last poster is, that the Canadian flag is always saluted when you walk past it.

National Défense
-AD-200-000/AG-000
THE HONOURS, FLAGS AND HERITAGE STRUCTURE OF THE
CANADIAN FORCES
(BILINGUAL)
(Supersedes A-AD-200-000/AG-000 dated 1988-09-28)
Issued on Authority of the Chief of the Defence Staff

OPI: DHH 1999-01-04

CEREMONIAL PARADES AND OCCASIONS

34. Only the following Canadian flags may be carried on parade:

a. consecrated Colours (see Chapter 5);
b. official commemorative (Royal) banners (see Section 7, paragraphs 1 and 2);
c. the National Flag;
d. the CF Ensign; and
e. command flags.

38. Compliments (salutes) shall only be paid to consecrated Colours and the National Flag. They shall not be paid to any other Canadian flag.

CHAPTER
SECTION 4
THE NATIONAL FLAG

1. The National Flag of Canada, commonly called the Canadian Flag, became the country's official flag on 15 February 1965. Its colours, red and white, are the colours of Canada, and the maple leaf is a traditional Canadian emblem.

COMPLIMENTS

10. When the National Flag is being hoisted or lowered at a defence establishment, all military personnel within view shall halt, face the flagstaff and pay compliments as prescribed in A-PD-201-000/PT- 000, CF Manual of Drill and Ceremonial.

11. When carried on parade in lieu of consecrated Colours, the National Flag shall be saluted as for such Colours.

12. The National Flag shall not be dipped or lowered as a means of paying a salute or compliment. (A National Flag worn as a Ship's Ensign shall return courtesy salutes. See Section 3, paragraph 9.)

Im prettyy sure that by regulation, you must salute the Canadian flag is you pass it by.  Most soldiers consider it a nuisance to do so, so dont do so unless someone in authourity is watching, or when the standard is not kept at the unit you were at.  (Yes, it is very shameful, I admit falling into the habit myself on occasion!)

For example, the flag flies in front of 1 CAD HQ but noone salutes it unless it is being raised or lowered (which rarely happens, it is lit 24 hours a day), but is saluted if you are in parade uniform.  The AF also does not salute inside buildings while the Army does in most buildings.  There are numnerous differences like these depending on the unit.

Reference the history of saluting, my reading incicated that the Romans used an pen palm salute to indicate they bore no weapons, which later became the 'visor lift' salute (as another person stated), which staill later became the open palm salute to the forehead after the disappearance of the metal helm, which was changed to a horizontal palm after 1900-1950 (depending on the country involved I think).

Centurian1985 said:
Im prettyy sure that by regulation, you must salute the Canadian flag is you pass it by.  Most soldiers consider it a nuisance to do so, so dont do so unless someone in authourity is watching, or when the standard is not kept at the unit you were at.  (Yes, it is very shameful, I admit falling into the habit myself on occasion!)

Then perhaps you can identify that regulation you seem to remember that makes you "pretty sure."  The above extract is from the current publication THE HONOURS, FLAGS AND HERITAGE STRUCTURE OF THE CANADIAN FORCES and it seems pretty clear.

Centurian1985 said:
Im prettyy sure that by regulation, you must salute the Canadian flag is you pass it by.  
well, I'm pretty sure that the regulation is posted directly above your post.

Geez, Mike! That's three consecutive times, today alone you've beat me to the punch!

And from the Drill Manual:

Canada
National Défense
A-PD-201-000/PT-000
THE CANADIAN FORCES MANUAL OF DRILL AND CEREMONIAL
(Supersedes A-PD-201-000/PT-000 dated 1993-10-27)

1-2-1
SECTION 2
COMPLIMENTS

29. National Flag. When the National Flag is hoisted or lowered at defence establishments, all ranks in or out of uniform within view shall face the flagpole or mast, stand at attention and pay compliments as follows:

a. All who are not part of a formed military group shall salute.

b. Unarmed military groups shall be halted facing the flagpole and the officer or non-commissioned member in charge of the group shall salute;

c. Armed parties shall present arms.

d.  Motor vehicles in view shall be stopped and the occupants shall dismount and pay compliments.

Hehe.. my friend saluted with her left hand once..

And, once, I was standing outside of the armoury, and a second lieutenant walked in front of me, and I wasn't paying attention, I was looking out for my ride...therefore, I didn't salute. Then he said to me, "pay attention to detail." of course, he didn't walk away without being saluted..not only was that disrespectful, I felt pretty bad afterwards.

so, to avoid anything unneccessary like that in the future..hehe, pay attention  ;D!! 

It is spelled like this: "Second Lieutenant"

And yes, attention to detail is a good thing.

<RANT>
Please do NOT say "Thank you" when you are receiving a salute. It isn't a gift (I'll send you a card if you like, or a nice fruit cake at Christmas) but a compliment and a sign of respect for the Sovereign, the comission and all the crap you went through in phase training to earn it.

Thank you
</RANT>

I am in error then; probably a holdover in my head from some exuberant senior NCOs who was also in error. 

Hmm, not to confuse the issue, but I recall during my Cyprus tour that while on sentry duty we were expected to salute every passing vehicle (which we considered only a mechansim for making sure sentries werent asleep), regardless of whether there was an officer present or not.  Anyone else encountered this?  whats the official ruling on that?

Centurian1985 said:
Hmm, not to confuse the issue, but I recall during my Cyprus tour that while on sentry duty we were expected to salute every passing vehicle (which we considered only a mechansim for making sure sentries werent asleep), regardless of whether there was an officer present or not.  Anyone else encountered this?  whats the official ruling on that?
varies from tour to tour, and sometimes from Camp Sgt-Maj to Camp Sgt-Maj. Last time I was anywhere exciting, we saluted everything on wheels.

I recall being asked once what you do when you're marching a column of troops and an Colonel or better approaches...

The reply I gave being "What are you supposed or what would I do? Because personally, I'd just dive into the bushes and wait till he goes by"

Back