• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Peoples Attitudes changed when stated I was joining

As a person going reg force within the year...

I have a girlfriend, have for quite some time. I know I will be ending it in the next few months so I may move on, I could never ask her to leave her life behind and come with me. My family think I'm abandoning them essentially. My friends are either civilians or reservists with no intentions of going to the regs, won't see alot of them for a while if ever.

But? I'm doing what I want to do with my life, and thats enough.

Hey Guys,

The thing I ave learn with my experiance with the force so far is that support is very important.
The fact that you want to join and leave everthing behind is sometime appealing (leave your trouble behind and start fresh) but you will need support

I know I start to my journey last november 2006 .. i am still in the medical part as u all know.. ;)

My wife was a great supporter and and close famally also... Losing the weight and get in shape was a big deal for me and they help me out thought it...
I know during BMQ I will need those memory of encouragment and support that they have provide me to go trougth it.... 

My advice to anyone who want to join is to surround yourself with people that support you.. if your famally dont ... find a friend or support group or talk to people like here at army.ca   people who are going to the same thing...

That my 2 cent for the day !!!

later guys..

I'm going to come off sounding insensitive here, but Jeebus Cripes!!  No doubt BMQ and WhateverthehellelseQ everyone is going for, will be tough, probably the toughest thing you've ever done. But, and here's the important part, YOU WILL GO THROUGH MUCH TOUGHER THINGS LATER ON.  It's a couple of months out of your life, and doesn't really require cheerleaders, therapists, or any other emotional support team back home giving you an ego stroke every time the big bad Sergeant yells at you, or you didn't get that last lime jell-o at lunchtime (I know, the army NEVER runs out of lime jell-o).  Put your head down at git 'er done.  It's not easy, but it's not the life shattering, soul destroying ordeal everyone here seems to think it is.  As for peoples attitudes, are you joining for them, or for you?  grab yourself a pair, you'll need them later....

Rant off

I love having support.

My mom is great for it, so far she's been with me 100% of the way through this re-process, and was more pissed at my VR'ing originally than i was lol, but than again, she was married to a marine and her father was a WW2 vet, so she knew what i was going through. She's so supportive of it that she's even joined every Canadian Army support group on Facebook lol.

My brother? He understands whats going on in this world, but he's the computer type geek that loves his job helping other geeks, but he's still supportive too as is my gf. Havent met anybody thus far in this period of my life that hasnt liked my decisions, including all my friends who think its crazy good that im gonna be a soldier.  ;D

I guess I've had it pretty lucky with regards to peoples opinions of me joining the forces (navy to be exact).  My immediate family has been the greatest especially my mom and my middle sister who is a navy wife so understands the life well.  My biggest supporter has actually been my ex-fiancee at least while we were together, she was the one that pushed me to finally put my paperwork in after years of procrastinating.  she was there after all my interviews, testing and medical to congratulate me.  unfortunately her and I broke up 3 days before I got my offer of employment and even though we broke up she was the first I told.  Unfortunately she had gotten in with certain a group of friends that put doubt into her head about what I was doing and came she came to the conclusion that she couldn't marry a person who's only job was to "kill people".  Oh well no matter how grateful I am for her support during my enrollment process, all I can say is good riddance and I've found a girl that is completely understanding and supportive of the life that I am about to make for myself and my future family.  As for friends and relatives support I have had nothing but positive comments as they know that it is something that I have wanted for a long time (17 years by my reckoning).  there is the odd comment made out of arrogance but they are very open to everything I have to say about my choice to join the navy.  Even people I meet at work and they ask about my belt buckle(I have a tri-service buckle) are very positive and I have heard very few negative come from anyone.  I think I heard more negative comments when I was a cadet,  I got called every name under sun and then some that I had never heard before.  And so ends my rant.   

A piece of advice that has come across a few times would be : " Don't work too hard, you'll look like a man". That really pees me off because it is completely stereotypical.

Best feeling in the world was when a week after I told my parents my decision, I came home and my dad already had 2 'Support the Troops' magnets on his Jeep, 1 on the SUV and a pin on his Police uniform.  Made me feel great to know they are supporting me, even though you can see my moms eyes fill up whenever I talk about it.

All my friends are supportive and they all support the troops and the mission in Afghanistan with exception of one not supporting the mission; but he still supports the troops for what they do.

Hardest person to get through to was my Grandma, she was always negative but just last week she came for a visit and was a lot better about it, asking questions and seemed more interested and understanding.

Other than a few "you're crazy!" or "why would you want to do that?!" from college friends or family which I can always slam back good rebuttals too, it's all gravy.

It may take some time but eventually they will realize it's your dream and will support you.  If not then it will be the biggest mistake of their lives.

I have applied to reenlist as well! My application is an ongoing process that has become bogged down in the excessive waiting period! In the time that I have submitted my application up to now, the forces have suffered most of the 66 fatalities, which has turned all of my references completely around and are now completely and utterly against my joining. What does one do in this situation? I want to join and have not changed my mind since, and I have done everything asked of me, but now have come up against this! :brickwall:

People were proud of me for wanting to join the army. However, some people tried to talk me out of it. Of course people are going to give you weird reactions. Joining the army is a weird thing to do. The pay is crap, its boring, its hard to make plans or have any kind of life, and you get jerked around for everything. Why would anyone want a life like that?

When I told my parents I wanted to join as either a pilot or a radop (way back when). They went absolutely nutters. I mean ballistic! They told me that I would be throwing my life away, and that I would be shot down over some godforsaken country or be left to die in the middle east (Gulf War I had ended a few years ago and they thought it would start right back up). I told them to get bent (I was 14 at the time, and majorly pissed that they did not support me after they said that they would support any career I chose). Things simmered down after a while and they thought that I would never follow through with it. When I graduated, I told them that I would be joining right after I got a degree (which I planned to do at the RMC). They offered to pay my tuition for UBC in full, on the promise that I did something "productive, not destructive" with my life. Their idea of productive was sitting at a desk 24/7 being a slave to my cellphone, fiddling around with stock options, or sitting in a cubicle for 33% of my adult life tinkering with lines of code on a computer. I graduate in '09, and I plan on joining either as an LCIS tech, a Sig Op, or a Pilot (I still haven't decided  :-\). The only person that has been supportive is one of my friends and my grandmother. I fully intend on keeping my family's military history intact (1 RCAF, 1 RCN, 1 army during WWII), even though it has been largely forgotten by a majority of its members. My mom still say I'm going to get killed and be forced to be one of Bush's kill-bots (flower child in the '60s  ::)) and my dad still says he'll write me out of the will (which isn't an empty threat). Doesn't matter to me. There is no higher honor than serving your country proudly. That in itself is worth all the tense family reunions I see in my future :mad:.

Suck on that, flower children!

:salute: :cdn:

fullmetalparka said:
When I told my parents I wanted to join as either a pilot or a radop (way back when). They went absolutely nutters. I mean ballistic! They told me that I would be throwing my life away, and that I would be shot down over some godforsaken country or be left to die in the middle east (Gulf War I had ended a few years ago and they thought it would start right back up). I told them to get bent (I was 14 at the time, and majorly pissed that they did not support me after they said that they would support any career I chose). Things simmered down after a while and they thought that I would never follow through with it. When I graduated, I told them that I would be joining right after I got a degree (which I planned to do at the RMC). They offered to pay my tuition for UBC in full, on the promise that I did something "productive, not destructive" with my life. Their idea of productive was sitting at a desk 24/7 being a slave to my cellphone, fiddling around with stock options, or sitting in a cubicle for 33% of my adult life tinkering with lines of code on a computer. I graduate in '09, and I plan on joining either as an LCIS tech, a Sig Op, or a Pilot (I still haven't decided  :-\). The only person that has been supportive is one of my friends and my grandmother. I fully intend on keeping my family's military history intact (1 RCAF, 1 RCN, 1 army during WWII), even though it has been largely forgotten by a majority of its members. My mom still say I'm going to get killed and be forced to be one of Bush's kill-bots (flower child in the '60s  ::)) and my dad still says he'll write me out of the will (which isn't an empty threat). Doesn't matter to me. There is no higher honor than serving your country proudly. That in itself is worth all the tense family reunions I see in my future :mad:.

You go man! I think you may find they will come around once you're in and they see some of the positive stuff happening in your life. If not...hey it's your life to live and you only get one of them...live without regret.

fullmetalparka said:
They told me that I would be throwing my life away, and that I would be shot down over some godforsaken country or be left to die in the middle east

and my dad still says he'll write me out of the will (which isn't an empty threat). Doesn't matter to me. There is no higher honor than serving your country proudly. That in itself is worth all the tense family reunions I see in my future :mad:.

well... If you do get shot down in a blaze of glory, being written out of the will will be the least of your concerns :)

09 is a long way off and you may go through several career decisions by then.

Military is a excellent lifestyle and I commend your desire to join.

My two daughters were considering the military, both are Engineer's. One is a Structural Engineer and the other is a Civil Engineer.

When they got their degree's, they decided against the military and the fantastic signing bonus.

If the military is in your blood than sometime in 09 you will be posting to this site, informing us of your progression through training.

Good Luck.

Good on ya, This is going to be the best experience you ever had. For your friends and family they are just worried about you going over seas. Enjoy you are going to have more fun they you ever expected

Unique

'09 is a long way off, can't wait to get the ball rolling. Thanks for the support everyone!  :salute:

Hey fullmetal parka - I'm going to apply in late 2008 or early 2009.  I haven't completely told my parents yet, although I think my father has probably made an educated guess.  He was enlisted and worked as an aeroengine tech with SAR in Summerside, Trenton and Comox.

My goal is to be a military pilot.  That dream was shattered when I got my first pair of glasses shortly after I turned 16.  I knew I wouldn't be content with anything else, so I ignored other military options, checking out the recruiting page every few months to see if there had been any changes.  I went to university, spent a semester in South Korea where I befriended a Lt-Col (ret'd) from the US Military who brought me out for too many nights of drinking, stories and discussion.  Kept checking the recruiting website.  Returned to Canada, threw myself into accounting, accepted a job in Calgary with a prominent firm, started there last September.  I have 32 months from September 2006 of work I need to do until I can qualify for my CA designation.  I write the "big exam" in September 2008, get results in November 2008 and will be applying the week after.  It's going to be hard explaining the "giving up a good job" thing to my co-workers, especially since everyone is so money driven.

I won't tell my employer until/unless I have an offer... but until then?  I'm going to be in the best shape of my life, I'm going to preserve my vision, I'm going to keep volunteering and I'm going to get ready to have the best pilot application possible.  I don't see a lot of posts from other females with similar goals on this website... I want to make sure I'm the girl at St Jean who can play just as hard as the boys!

I'm actually scared to tell my parents, which is why I'm going to put it off.  My friends are generally supportive - once they get over the initial shock.  Some don't believe me at all, and I've only gotten one negative reaction.  That being said, I've maybe told six people!

megsy said:
Hey fullmetal parka - I'm going to apply in late 2008 or early 2009.  I haven't completely told my parents yet, although I think my father has probably made an educated guess.  He was enlisted and worked as an aeroengine tech with SAR in Summerside, Trenton and Comox.

My goal is to be a military pilot.  That dream was shattered when I got my first pair of glasses shortly after I turned 16.  I knew I wouldn't be content with anything else, so I ignored other military options, checking out the recruiting page every few months to see if there had been any changes.  I went to university, spent a semester in South Korea where I befriended a Lt-Col (ret'd) from the US Military who brought me out for too many nights of drinking, stories and discussion.  Kept checking the recruiting website.  Returned to Canada, threw myself into accounting, accepted a job in Calgary with a prominent firm, started there last September.  I have 32 months from September 2006 of work I need to do until I can qualify for my CA designation.  I write the "big exam" in September 2008, get results in November 2008 and will be applying the week after.  It's going to be hard explaining the "giving up a good job" thing to my co-workers, especially since everyone is so money driven.

I won't tell my employer until/unless I have an offer... but until then?  I'm going to be in the best shape of my life, I'm going to preserve my vision, I'm going to keep volunteering and I'm going to get ready to have the best pilot application possible.  I don't see a lot of posts from other females with similar goals on this website... I want to make sure I'm the girl at St Jean who can play just as hard as the boys!

I'm actually scared to tell my parents, which is why I'm going to put it off.  My friends are generally supportive - once they get over the initial shock.  Some don't believe me at all, and I've only gotten one negative reaction.  That being said, I've maybe told six people!

Good for you. It's great to have a dream and follow it through. Are you going to have laser surgery for your eyes? I'm pretty sure they are still pretty strict about the 20/20 rule. Good luck and God bless you as you prepare for a great adventure.  :cdn:

IN HOC SIGNO said:
Good for you. It's great to have a dream and follow it through. Are you going to have laser surgery for your eyes? I'm pretty sure they are still pretty strict about the 20/20 rule. Good luck and God bless you as you prepare for a great adventure.  :cdn:

They're actually accepting people who wear glasses for "moderate vision correction".  I actually booked an eye appointment for the day after I spoke with the recruiter so that I would have an idea of whether I require a "moderate correction" or not.  The optometrist said I would qualify to be a police officer and that my eyes, when working together, are approximately 20/25, which he would "definitely classify as a low correction."  Further searches on this website have identified (a few times) that vision category V2 is what pilots now need to be... and I seem to surpass that category by a wide margin.  My worst eye is about 20/50 or 20/60...

Laser surgery is still unacceptable, based on the lack of long-term studies.  There are also theories that having laser eye surgery could be problematic for the ejection seat since the surgery involves slicing a part of your eye.

I'm so excited now.  I just feel so motivated - and I really feel like I've been dragging a bit since entering the corporate world after graduation.

Back