• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Personal car at Basic, or other courses? [MERGED]

Proud Canadian said:
Your car will come in handy for visting the following on your weekends out

http://www.stripclublist.com/y.asp?s=QU

Seems Hollywood Bar - St Jean sur Richelieu was the choice when I did my BMQ but there are better ones in downtown Montreal.

Happy Holidays

I hear Crossover's, Misty's and Silver Star are good in Barrie if you are headed to Borden..

Never been there myself of course.. ;D

I havn't gone over the details with my file manager yet, I was busy at work and could only tell her I accepted the offer, but she did mention they don't advise driving your vehicle and parking at Saint-Jean.

What's the problem?  She said something about a lack of space or having to move it around in the winter or something but i didn't quite follow.  I know my vehicle will be unattened for some time at the beginning so it might be a target for theives.  (I know my truck is a favourite among car theives in Montreal). 

What's the deal?  I hate public transportation and would like to a have a vehicle handy for that first weekend of leave I get.  I live near Ottawa so it's not that far of a drive.

Driving there was not even an option for me. My contact said NO I am not allowed to take my car. I feel the same way as you, I'd like to drive home (to Ottawa) on my first available weekend as well. He told me there are some serious parking issues going on there right now.

Cold.  Can't plug it in.  You may be allowed to go out one night a week to start and run it.  
Snow.  Snow accumulates and is cleared.  Base commander doesn't like random snowbanks on his parking lot.  
Space.  Some of the parking lots are closed during winter.
Permission.  If you ain't given it, you ain't got it.

Gotcha.

Like I said, I havn't been told either way whether I was allowed or not.  Only that they didn't advise it.

I may look around to see if there's some kind of parking lot rental place around there. 

Then again, I may say screw it.  But it would be nice.

I will be there starting Oct. 16, and I was told no cars allowed for the first four weeks. After that if we get leave, we are allowed to return with a car. Still not sure if I will bring mine, I guess I'll wait till I get leave first.

Nice, I'll ask my recruiter about that. I'm just not a big fan of taking a bus home every time. The issues about the snow removal make a lot of sense though, I never though of that. There would be cars everywhere that do not move for weeks, which would make it kinda hard to clear the snow.

I was told by my recruiting officer not to bring my car to bmq because there wasn't much parking, but when I got there and talked to a few recruits who said that they had no trouble parking, so on week 4 I brought my car back. At no point during the rest of my stay there did the lot alloted for recruits reach even half full.
If everyone were to bring their cars however, the lot would fill up easily. If you bring your car, you do take the risk that if the lot is full, you'll be stuck having to find some place to park your car for the rest of the week as you're CB all week.
Also, depending how far from St. Jean you are, there is the slight risk that if you're car breaks down on the way in and you're late, then you're AWOL (I know of at least one instance where this happened).

I'll think I'll get dropped off at first and scout out the situation and then grab my truck the next available leave (if possible).  I really don't need to deal with having a vehicle stolen in the middle of Basic though and my truck is a popular target for Montreal theives.

Whos gonna steal a car off the base. The mps are constintly back there and cruising the base. And depending what side of the building u are at u can see the lot.
58820022.jpg

I just assumed that since it would be common knowledge that some vehicles would be sitting for weeks at a time unattended that they might be favourable targets.  Also the fact that high end late model trucks have a habit of dissappearing in Quebec (in my experiecne).

Were you there during the winter months?  Because the issue of snow removal still seems like a big one.

That pic just made me throw-up a little bit :blotto:

I was there from sept to dec. My other buddies were there and they had no probs with snow removal they just did infront of the cars thats it.

This pic you will love.:p
00590019.jpg

JDMCRX

Welcome to the Warning System.  You have been sent the following via PM at least two times.  You have failed to pay attention to them.  Perhaps it is time that you read these, and welcome to your Verbal Warning:

As you have failed to pay attention to your PM's, you can find out here how to read up on the Warning system.

Army.ca Conduct Guidelines: MUST READ - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24937.0.html

MSN and ICQ "short hand"http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/33247.0.html

Regarding the use of "MSN speak" versus the employment of prose which is correct in grammar, spelling and punctuation, please see: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/34015/post-260446.html#msg260446

FRIENDLY ADVICE TO NEW MEMBERS - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24937/post-259412.html#msg259412

Search page - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search;advanced

Army.ca wiki pages - http://army.ca/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

To summarize. Welcome to Army.ca, start reading. 

I hate my car.  Don't get me wrong... I like having a car; they are useful.  I just hate my car.  (Hate is not the most accurate term to use here, but as I am new to the board, I choose not to push my luck by speaking my mind.)  Also, when* I attend BMOQ in May, I will be taking a significant pay cut for a while.

These two facts create an interesting opportunity:  Perhaps its an easy thing offset this by being rid of the car altogether during the months of AEC training ahead of me.  This will save cash and good measure of frustration.  Naturally, I will replace it with a younger, more attractive car afterwards.

So, my question is: Will I have less trouble adapting to life without a car during training than I would in civilian life?  I have become disgustingly dependent on the mobility in daily life, but I have no idea what expect in the forces.  I'd like to hear from anyone who has made the transition, even if only temporarily.

cheers,
bc

*this is still technically an 'if'.  (still waiting anxiously on an official offer)

During BMQ, you're not going to use your car - if you're even allowed to bring it, you'll have to keep it in storage.

Afterwards, it depends on your trade and training program, but you'll probably be living in the shacks for a while, in easy marching distance to your classes; getting around during evenings and weekends depends on where you get posted.

You'll make enough money to get to and fro to the bars. Don't worry about it!

lacqui said:
During BMQ, you're not going to use your car - if you're even allowed to bring it, you'll have to keep it in storage.

Not true. At least, not true for St. Jean. There is parking for your car, and while you will be confined to base for the first month or so, having a car to hit Montreal on weekends you get off will make you very popular with your platoon.
  Lacqui may be right about other bases or courses, but at St. Jean you're allowed a car.

Actually I have been wondering this myself, as I have been pondering on making a CT to Medtech, and seeing as how a very large portion of the course is going to be in B.C., I was wondering if should sell my car before going on course.

bcrawford said:
Perhaps its an easy thing offset this by being rid of the car altogether during the months of AEC training ahead of me. 

You'll be so busy on course, especially during the week, that you won't have too much time to go out anywhere.  There really isn't a need to anyway.  CFSACO in Cornwall has most amenities.  I've seen people never leave the place their whole time there!  And if you do have to go to the mall or anywhere, there is a bus stop right outside the main door.  It doesn't run on Sundays, but other then that, it's fairly reliable.  Besides, there is always someone on course that has a car and is willing to do a trip to town once in awhile for gas money.  Or you share on a cab for a night out.

My advice, sell the car (especially as you're not happy with it anyway).  Then wait until you finish training and get posted.  In the meantime, put aside the money that you would have been spending on a vehicle (payments, gas, insurance etc) into a separate account and you've got a nice fund to get started for new wheels when you get settled.

Back