• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PMJT: The First 100 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.
PuckChaser said:
If that's not a list of BC stereotypes, I don't know what is....  8)

For 'random' interviews in a city where about half the population has a first language other than English, a similar proportion aren't white, only 42% voted Liberal, and nearly a third of eligible voters didn't cast a ballot, ... they sure did end up with an unrepresentative group of white, native English-speaking Liberal voters, even for the downtown core compared to the 'burbs (where many downtown workers actually live...)

It was a jab at the issues they supported, not their skin colour. It's OK, it was only a joke, you didn't miss much.

Altair said:
Hey, let them debate. That's how parliament is suppose to work.

Fact is, even if the loony left of the LPC doesn't vote for it, the CPC will and it will pass.

I rather like that the members of the LPC can speak their mind and speak for their ridings.

To each their own.

That's not the way it works in our, Westminster system, of responsible parliamentary government. She a minister of the crown, part of the executive so she forfeited the right to speak for his constituency when she addresses policy. If she wants to make policy, herself, then she must resign from cabinet and challenge for the leadership ~ otherwise she must maintain absolute solidarity* with the rest of the executive, and, to date, I have read/heard nothing to suggest that the executive's leader, Prime Minister Trudeau, nor any other important minister wants to sign but not ratify the TPP ~ I would be happy to learn that I am wrong.

I repeat: Chrystia Freeland is an irresponsible fool, and Justin Trudeau is an even bigger fool for having selected her and, now, for keeping her around.
_____
* We've only got 300ish years of precedent and practice for that principle.

ERC:

Cabinet is debating the response to ISIL - unlike that nasty efficient chap before.
Trudeau will mediate the pipelines debate so that all sides are heard and cases can be made -
Policies are yet to be clarified

The puck is being ragged and it has only just been dropped.

I'd prefer that JT would sit in Parliament and govern responsibly vice appearing on "The Social".

Hamish Seggie said:
I'd prefer that JT would sit in Parliament and govern responsibly vice appearing on "The Social".

I'm pretty sutre he has a 100% attendance rate for 2016 so far  ;D

Hamish Seggie said:

I saw adverts for that show. So it was pre-recorded and did not interrupt his time in the House of Commons.

For the record, everytime I see that smug smile I want to throw something through the TV! :mg:

I need to purchase a supply of nerf bricks!

Its going to be worse for us than it ever was for the Harper haters.

Harper stayed away from cameras.

FSTO said:
I saw adverts for that show. So it was pre-recorded and did not interrupt his time in the House of Commons.

For the record, everytime I see that smug smile I want to throw something through the TV! :mg:

I need to purchase a supply of nerf bricks!

I can supply you some, $5 a brick

7221et-7222-cut_105.jpg

FSTO said:

Fair enough. However he should be governing by way of Parliament and not on glib, vacuous television shows.

Chris Pook said:
Its going to be worse for us than it ever was for the Harper haters.

Harper stayed away from cameras.
We had to put up with 9 years of harper.

You guys have had 3 months of trudeau. Come on now, you can do it.

Hamish Seggie said:
Fair enough. However he should be governing by way of Parliament and not on glib, vacuous television shows.

It is, actually, very good, very effective politics.

My guess is that you will see a lot more of this. I expect the Liberals to be in "campaign mode" for four years, forcing the less attractive (to TV producers) Conservatives to play second fiddle.

The CPC caucus was smart: Rona Ambrose is very telegenic and a "good" media personality. She's quick, extroverted and "nice," too.

Altair said:
We had to put up with 9 years of harper.

You guys have had 3 months of trudeau. Come on now, you can do it.

I've seen more of Trudeau's mug in the last two years than I saw of Harper in 10.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/26/trudeau-must-be-leader-not-referee-on-pipeline-debate

Trudeau must be leader, not referee, on pipeline debate

By Anthony Furey, Postmedia Network

First posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 10:13 AM EST | Updated: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 10:32 AM EST

On too many issues, Justin Trudeau seems to think his position as prime minister is to be a referee and not a leader.

He’s done this with carbon pricing. He’s doing it with electoral reform. And now he’s doing it on pipelines.

Last week Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre lead a renewed charge against the Energy East pipeline – a major project that would mean greater energy independence for Canada as well as create access to new markets.

Coderre, representing all Montreal municipalities, said “we are against it because it still represents significant environmental threats and too few economics benefits for greater Montreal.”

What are those threats? Is it simply fear-mongering or does he have specific concerns? Because if he does, they can likely be addressed.

Two years ago the National Energy Board gave approval to the Northern Gateway pipeline. Outraged activists would have had you believe the oil companies were being given carte blanche to do what they pleased. But the NEB’s approval was actually conditional. And it came with 209 conditions.

That same NEB will be passing judgment on Energy East. Clearly they’re not against making energy companies jump through hoops. Whatever reasonable concerns Coderre has can likely be met.

It makes no sense to toss out a project that has the support of politicians from across the political spectrum – with firm backing from Alberta Premier Rachel Notley and Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall and expected support from Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne.

Enter Trudeau. On Monday morning he met with Coderre in Montreal. What was his purpose? Was it to champion this national project of economic importance? Was it to sit down and reason with Coderre? Alas, no. The Canadian Press headline says it all: “Trudeau says his job is to bring people together”.

Huh? So it’s not to be a leader. But instead just a mediator; a moderator in a debate in which the PM won’t stake out territory. If he has a firm pipeline policy, he should be working to bring Coderre on side with him. If he doesn't, that's troubling.

He told media “my responsibility as prime minister is to make sure that on national projects we're behaving in a way that both contributes to the economy, to a secure environment, to bringing people together and mostly to creating a better future."

Coderre triggered a national conversation over a major issue. Trudeau met with him for 45 minutes. And this is all he had to say afterwards? Some leadership.

Chris Pook said:
I've seen more of Trudeau's mug in the last two years than I saw of Harper in 10.

Not to mention that it's already feeling like more than 10 years.

jollyjacktar said:
Not to mention that it's already feeling like more than 10 years.
And it felt like Harper had ruled for 20 by the end of his reign.

I feel no pity.

One thing that makes me feel more secure.  Justin does not take after his father.  I absolutely did not like Trudeau senior but he did have b###S.  Justin instead takes after his mother. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back