• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PO2 Douglas Craig Blake, KIA 4 May 2010

• Thread starter jollyjacktar
  • Start date
J

jollyjacktar

Shared with the usual etc etc.  Mods. feel free to move if already posted, did not see it.

My deepest condolences to PO2 Blake's family, FDU(A) and comrades in TFA.  Sad sad news on our birthday today.  May you be the last Sailor to pay the full price there.  :salute:

Canadian killed by IED in Afghanistan
Father of two had just disabled another bomb
Last Updated: Tuesday, May 4, 2010 | 5:43 AM ET Comments16Recommend19CBC News
Petty Officer 2nd Class Douglas Craig Blake, 37, of Simcoe, Ont., was killed by a roadside bomb Monday near Kandahar city. (DND)
A Canadian senior non-commissioned officer in Afghanistan was killed Monday by an improvised explosive device near Kandahar city.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Douglas Craig Blake, 37, was killed Monday afternoon while working in the Panjwai district, approximately 25 kilometres southwest of the city.

Brig-Gen. Dan Ménard, the commander of Canadian troops in Afghanistan, said the Simcoe, Ont., native was returning to camp after successfully disposing of another IED when the blast went off.

Blake was serving with the Fleet Diving Unit Atlantic, based in Halifax.

"A navy clearance diver, Craig was most comfortable working under water, yet he effortlessly adapted to the rigours of land operations," Ménard said in a statement.

"Incredibly fit, with a backbone of steel, Craig put 100 per cent into everything he did."

Blake, married with two children, was a hockey coach and triathlete, Ménard said.

His death brings to 143 the number of Canadian troops who have died in the Afghan mission since it began in 2002.

"On behalf of all soldiers, airmen, airwomen, sailors and special operators of Joint Task Force Afghanistan, I offer my sincere condolences to his friends and family," Ménard said.

With files from The Canadian Press

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/05/04/canadian-soldier-killed.html#ixzz0mxB9NTk2

My thoughts are with PO2 Blake's family and friends.  Deepest condolences.  RIP PO2 Blake.

RIP Craig. It was a pleasure and an honour to have worked with you over the years....

Condolences to the family, colleagues and friends of the PO.... :salute:

CF statement:
One Canadian Forces member was killed after an improvised explosive device detonated during a dismounted operation, about 25 kilometres southwest of Kandahar City, in the Panjwayi District, at approximately 4:40 p.m. Kandahar time on 3 May 2010.

Killed in action was Petty Officer Second Class Craig Blake a member of Fleet Diving Unit (Atlantic), based in Shearwater, Nova Scotia. He was serving with Task Force 1-10.

We are all thinking of the family and friends of our Canadian fallen comrade during this sad time. The commitment and sacrifice of our military and their loved ones are helping to make a difference in the lives of the people of Kandahar Province.

Together, Afghan National Security Forces and Joint Task Force Afghanistan continue to maintain the initiative in Kandahar Province. Canada in partnership with the Afghan government and ISAF remain committed to improving the security situation in order to set the conditions for reconstruction and development in the region.

My condolences to the Blake family. :salute:

EOD PRAYER

Lord of power and might,
whose mercy is everlasting,
guard and guide those who
place their lives in the balance
to ensure the safety of those nearby.

Look with favor upon those with
the prowess and skill to disarm
explosive devices, render them safe,
and remove from others the threat of harm.

Bless those who have been set apart
by this hazardous duty, and give support to
their families and loved ones
who wait through each tense call.

Receive into eternal rest those
who have given their lives
and bring healing to those who mourn.
Grant that in the EOD Family
there may be unity of spirit
for the well being of all.
To your glory with grateful hearts
we thank you loving God.

Amen,

Rev Carl Bergstrom
Past National Chaplain, DAV

NFLD Sapper said:
Shitty news to wake up too........

RIP

:salute:

Ditto - I work with clearance divers alot, so it'll be pretty somber at FDU(P) for a bit.

RIP.

MM

News Room
Statement By The Minister Of National Defence On The Death Of Petty Officer Second Class Craig Blake
NR - 10.035 - May 4, 2010

OTTAWA - The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, issued the following statement today on the death of a Canadian Forces member:

"We deeply mourn yesterday’s loss of a dedicated Canadian Forces member who died in Afghanistan. Petty Officer Second Class Craig Blake was killed after an improvised explosive device detonated during a dismounted operation. I extend my heartfelt sympathy to his family and friends.

Petty Officer Blake served bravely and with pride alongside his comrades to help build a better and brighter future for Afghans. His tragic passing illustrates some of the risks that the selfless men and women of the Canadian Forces face every day in carrying out their duties.

Canada’s participation in this United Nations-mandated NATO-led mission is a true reflection of the Canadian values of helping those in need and defending the interests of those who can’t yet defend themselves.

I am truly proud our men and women of the Canadian Forces as they courageously risk their lives to bring peace and security to the people of Afghanistan.”

- 30 -

Killed in action was Petty Officer Second Class Craig Blake a member of Fleet Diving Unit (Atlantic), based in Shearwater, Nova Scotia. He was serving with Task Force 1-10.

Statement by the Prime Minister of Canada
4 May 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued the following statement today on the death of a Canadian Forces member:

“I am deeply saddened by the loss of Petty Officer Second Class Craig Blake, who died after an improvised explosive device detonated during a dismounted operation.  On behalf of the Canadian people, I would like to extend my deepest sympathies to his family and friends during this difficult time.

Petty Officer Blake was a brave Canadian who made the ultimate sacrifice while proudly serving his country. Thanks to Canadian Forces members like Petty Officer Blake, we are making progress in Afghanistan in creating a better future for the Afghan people.

Canada is in Afghanistan at the request of the democratically elected Afghan government and as part of a United Nations-mandated, NATO-led mission, helping the Afghan people rebuild their country and its institutions. Our Canadian Forces members face this difficult task, in an extremely harsh environment, with courage and honour, and serve as a representation of Canadian values to the world.

This is a loss for Canada and the Canadian Forces – but it was not in vain. With the help of the international community, Afghans are rebuilding their communities and improving their lives.

Let us never forget Petty Officer Blake, who died trying to make life better for others.”

Fallen Canadian Forces member
May 4, 2010

Message from Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, on the death of Petty Officer Second Class Craig Blake

OTTAWA—My husband, Jean-Daniel Lafond, and I have just received the tragic news of the death of a Canadian Forces member in Afghanistan. Petty Officer Second Class Craig Blake a member of Fleet Diving Unit (Atlantic), based in Shearwater, Nova Scotia, was killed by an improvised explosive device during an operation 25 kilometres outside of Kandahar.

Petty Officer Second Class Blake, like all of his comrades deployed to Afghanistan, demonstrated extraordinary commitment in providing assistance to the Afghan people and helping in the reconstruction of this devastated country. He offered the best of himself and we salute his tremendous courage, his generous spirit and his commitment to excellence in the line of duty.

Our thoughts are with his mourning parents, his fellow sailors and his friends. We can only imagine their great suffering and grief. On behalf of all Canadians, we offer them our sincerest condolences. We mourn the loss of a fellow Canadian whom we held in the highest esteem. We shall not forget him.

Michaëlle Jean

-30-

Media Information:
Marie-Ève Létourneau
Rideau Hall Press Office
613-998-0287
meletourneau@gg.ca
www.gg.ca

My sincere condolences.

There's a special place in heaven for those who knowingly walk TOWARD a bomb.  RIP diver.

Back