• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2013

Journeyman said:
We'll have to agree to disagree. 

I'll listen to CBC Radio for music and interviews, but their TV is news is absolute garbage

For international news, I get much more balanced reporting from al-Jazeera English  (That's NOT sarcasm;  al-Jazeera is a very credible international news source, since they're going out of their way to be seen as objective.)

I don't usually watch their news that much, as I don't watch TV very often. I read their web news every AM, and listen to their radio news while out in the car.  I've been listening to "Ideas", "As It Happens" and "Cross-Country Checkup" for about 30 years now.  I haven't looked at Al Jazeera yet (maybe I will...) but I do look at BBC and, for comic relief, Pravda.

pbi said:
Yes: I heard their spokeswoman on the CBC today.

BTW, the CBC is actually not a tool of Satan. It clearly isn't Fox News, or the Sun, or even the National Post, but I don't find that it nearly lives up to the rep it gets around here.

You are correct, and that was not my implication. I was quite surprised that they were critical of JT....

I also read the CBC web news on a daily basis, along with others from all ends of the spectrum.

Larry

Journeyman said:
We'll have to agree to disagree. 

I'll listen to CBC Radio for music and interviews, but their TV is news is absolute garbage

For international news, I get much more balanced reporting from al-Jazeera English  (That's NOT sarcasm;  al-Jazeera is a very credible international news source, since they're going out of their way to be seen as objective.)
I agree with this 100%. And I like the BBC.

pbi said:
I don't usually watch their news that much, as I don't watch TV very often. I read their web news every AM, and listen to their radio news while out in the car.  I've been listening to "Ideas", "As It Happens" and "Cross-Country Checkup" for about 30 years now.  I haven't looked at Al Jazeera yet (maybe I will...) but I do look at BBC and, for comic relief, Pravda.

I have CBC Radio going almost all the time. I have learned to shut it down any time Evan Solomon or Terry Many Letters are on - too much blood pressure.

I have a digitial subscription and weekend delivery of the Chronicle Herald. They have gotten much more balanced, IMO, and have a couple of guys who can flat out tell a story, one of whom I know personally. Bruce MacKinnon is always a plus as well.

I read BBC online since starting work in the UK good for updates on wrecks over there, or the everlasting debate on the Aberdeen Airport Bypass - and pissing off Donald Trump ;D

For me it's the
Financial-Times-Logo.jpg
for news ~ of all sorts, not just business/economics, analysis ~ again of all sorts, and opinion. I find it: balanced, focused, literate and sensible.

It's a mistake to take anything away from reportage except the basic facts: something happened, somewhere, somewhen.  Anything resembling interpretation is untrustworthy.

How often does anyone write accurately about something concerning the CF?  And why would you imagine any other reporter covering any other beat to be any better?  People writing the news are not the best and brightest in the university system, often have nakedly clear political preferences, and not many these days seem to work very hard to become reliable beat reporters.

;D

National Post

Andrew Coyne: Justin Trudeau’s gaffes reveal the gulf between his intellectual reach and grasp

Not everything that comes out of Justin Trudeau’s mouth is simple-minded prattle, though you could be forgiven for thinking so. The Liberal leader has long made a habit of sticking his tongue into the nearest electrical outlet, and shows no sign of giving it up. It is harder and harder to see this as a refreshing candour, or even a dangerously loose lip. Rather, we seem to be tapping directly into the workings of a cluttered and undisciplined mind.

Michael Den Tandt: Trudeau’s gaffes undermine his political strengths
Justin Trudeau entered politics buoyed by reserves of public goodwill that no other Canadian leader today can match. Whether he can hang onto it remains to be seen. Based on the evidence of the past four days, a fair-minded person would have to say the jury is out.

Three factors underlie the Liberal leader’s enduring popularity, which has his party steadily above 35% in public support, with the Conservatives languishing at 30% or below, and the New Democrats mired in the low-to-mid 20s.

The first is, obviously, name-recognition. Warm feelings towards the father, Pierre Trudeau, tinged by nostalgia, are conferred upon the son. This got his foot in the door. It continues to shield him, like a Harry Potter spell, from the kinds of mistakes that would lay other politicians low. More on that in a moment.

Continue reading…

Consider the latest such episode, his musings on the virtues of the Chinese dictatorship, delivered in the course of a “ladies only” fundraiser in Toronto that was itself the subject of controversy, not least for the leering overtones in the promotional material. (Has any Canadian politician been so frankly marketed as a sex object since, well, since his father?) Asked “which nation’s administration” he most admired, outside of Canada, Mr. Trudeau took a moment to think, then offered up the following:

“You know, there’s a level of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime and say ‘we need to go green fastest … we need to start investing in solar.’”

If you watch the video, it’s clear he’s serious: that prefatory “actually,” the way his voice drops on “China” suggests he knows he’s saying something that will sound surprising to the uninitiated, but will be explained in the next phrase. Only then, perhaps aware of the limb he has put himself out on, does he start trying to scramble back:

“I mean there is a flexibility that I know Stephen Harper must dream about” — heh, heh — “of having a dictatorship that he can do everything he wanted that I find quite interesting.” But by then it’s too late. He can’t erase that first passage: China’s “basic dictatorship” and its ability to “turn their economy around” — not to mention their environment — “on a dime.”

The point is not that Mr. Trudeau would, if he became prime minister, impose a communist dictatorship across Canada. His approach to China would be unlikely to differ greatly from that preferred by much of the political and business class, which is that you should cluck about its abysmal human rights record, but not so loudly that it notices.

It’s just … weird. He was not challenged to “say something positive about China,” to which he might have replied with the standard hope that “prosperity and trade with the West will in time lead to a relaxation of the regime’s grip” or a backward glance at “the success of the market-oriented reforms that have lifted so many Chinese citizens out of poverty” or even, if he wanted to be edgy, a rueful “we might not like it but you have to admit their dictatorship has a certain brutal efficiency that poses a challenge to the democracies,” which would be mostly wrong but not completely crazy.

But when the question is to name the government you most admire on this Earth, and your first choice is … China? (His second choice: the Territories — Nunavut, Northwest Territories, Yukon — which is almost as strange.) Who says such things?

The type of person who could tell an interviewer that he would take up the cause of Quebec independence if he thought Canada were really “the Canada of Stephen Harper.” The type of person who could complain to another interviewer that “it’s Albertans who control our community and social-democratic agenda — it doesn’t work.” The type of person who could make a perfectly defensible statement — that we should try to understand what makes a homegrown terrorist tick — sound vaguely silly, simply by running on at the mouth for too long.

These are not gaffes of the type defined by the American journalist Michael Kinsley, “when a politician tells the truth” — not really gaffes at all, in other words, except in the topsy-turvy world of politics. Neither are they the sort of slips that anyone might make when they’re tired or off guard, insulting or impolitic remarks they either didn’t mean or wouldn’t have said if they did.

Rather, the Trudeauvian gaffe generally involves a quite deliberate statement, presented not flippantly or off-hand but in a determined effort to sound provocative or profound. If they instead strike the listener as ill-judged, it is because he seems to have invested so little actual thought in them. It is in the gulf between his intellectual reach and grasp that his reputation as a ninny has been earned.

Does it matter? Much too much is made of gaffes generally. Was it really enough to rule out Howard Dean’s bid for president that he got a little too enthusiastic at a rally? Was Bob Stanfield’s inability to squeeze a football — in one of dozens of shots taken that day — really evidence of his unfitness for prime minister?

On the other hand, there are gaffes of a kind that tell us much. Ted Kennedy’s inability to answer a simple, obvious question — why do you want to be president — was all too revealing of the empty sense of entitlement at the heart of his 1980 campaign. They tell us, not so much of a candidate’s thoughts, but his thought process. They are less about his platform than, much more important, his judgment.

The next election is nearly two years away. There will be many more chances to take the measure of Mr. Trudeau, who will have many more chances to demonstrate his capacity to grow and mature. One gaffe does not disqualify him from office, nor even do four or five. But the more evidence they are given of his flightiness, the less willing Canadians will be to hand him the keys to the car.

S.M.A. said:
One gaffe does not disqualify him from office, nor even do four or five. But the more evidence they are given of his flightiness, the less willing Canadians will be to hand him the keys to the car.
This presumes that Canadian voters reflect sufficiently at all on what these gaffes indicate about Trudeau himself, rather than just chalk it up to some form of a Harper-esque media conspiracy designed to unfairly embarrass the anointed one.

Journeyman said:
This presumes that Canadian voters reflect sufficiently at all on what these gaffes indicate about Trudeau himself, rather than just chalk it up to some form of a Harper-esque media conspiracy designed to unfairly embarrass the anointed one.

The voters who believe that Mr Harper controls the MSM are already convinced of Mr Trudeau's divinity. Much better to focus on the ones who aren't.

This ruling, by the Court of Appeal for Ontario, "Ontario court rules mandatory minimum sentences for gun crimes unconstitutional" is a blow struck for law and order.

The CPC have proposed and passed poorly drafted laws and the courts are overturning the most egregious errors.

No one doubts, I hope, that those who use deadly weapons, including firearms, during the commission of a crime should be locked up for a long time - I'd say ten years. But, as Ontario's top courts noted: "The law as written could capture anyone from a person keeping an unloaded restricted gun, with ammunition accessible, in their cottage when their licence requires it to be in their home." The court also noted that its "ruling has no significant impact on sentences for people engaged in criminal conduct or who pose a danger to others, saying they should continue to receive sentences to emphasize [both] deterrence and denunciation."

I am persuaded that the bad drafting has two sources: politicians demanding draconian measures and civil servants intentionally sabotaging the legislation - knowing appeals courts will strike it down.

E.R. Campbell said:
I am persuaded that the bad drafting has two sources: politicians demanding draconian measures and civil servants intentionally sabotaging the legislation - knowing appeals courts will strike it down.

I would respectfully agree with the first part and disagree with the second.  That law was rammed through the system as an omnibus bill with little to no committee work done on it and debate on the bill was severely limited by the government.  It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that it would be challenged and likely declared unconstitutional.  While the intent might seem good the execution wasn't.

Here's a National Post article in regards to that: http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/03/02/omnibus-crime-bill-rushed-through-senate-liberal-senators-say/

Modified to add source.

Common law has within it the ability to deal with specific circumstances, mitigating or aggravating.  Minimum sentencing takes this flexibility away.

Infanteer said:
Common law has within it the ability to deal with specific circumstances, mitigating or aggravating.  Minimum sentencing takes this flexibility away.

Exactly: judicial discretion is an advantage almost all the time - but in a few, a very few, instances judicial decisions are hard to fathom, especially by a detached general public and then politicinas feel compelled to weigh in.

But, the CPC's "law and order" agenda is there to appeal to a distressingly (to me) large share of the Conservative base.

E.R. Campbell said:

Bad drafting on my part ...

I'm not suggesting that civil servants are deliberately sabotaging legislation out of partisanship, rather I'm suggesting that they just throw their hands up in the air, in the face of obtuse political direction, and say, "Well, OK, if you say so ~ we'll just wait for the courts to confirm that you're wrong."

Sometimes you just have to let the wheel fall off in order to get it fixed properly.

E.R. Campbell said:
.... LGen Leslie must, first, convince voters to send him to parliament ~ something his grandfather failed to do.
And here's where that convincing may happen ....
Retired general Andrew Leslie is looking for an Ottawa riding in which to run for Parliament and is leaning toward Ottawa-Orléans.

Leslie, who was chief of the land staff and then chief of transformation for the Canadian Forces, left the military in 2011 to become a private consultant and signed up as an adviser to Liberal leader Justin Trudeau last September.

It’s not a secret that he’ll likely run in the next federal election but he hasn’t said where.

“I’m trying to figure out the best fit,” he said in a short interview Friday. “Ottawa-Orléans is certainly the most attractive that I’ve seen.” It’s a complicated, growing riding with a large francophone population and a major military presence, he said, of Canadian Forces members who mainly commute downtown.

Conservative MP Royal Galipeau has won the riding three times — ending a long, long period of Liberal dominance — but has never run away with it ....

milnews.ca said:
It’s a complicated, growing riding with a large francophone population and a major military presence, he said...
He'll fit in well as a  politician -- being out of touch with reality and all -- if he thinks a military-populated riding is a benefit.  Many of us know him too well to ever vote for the self-aggrandizing menace; maybe he should back away from his mirror and press-clippings for a bit and reconsider his campaign strategy.

Journeyman said:
He'll fit in well as a  politician -- being out of touch with reality and all -- if he thinks a military-populated riding is a benefit.  Many of us know him too well to ever vote for the self-aggrandizing menace; maybe he should back away from his mirror and press-clippings for a bit and reconsider his campaign strategy.
No need to sugar coat it, tell us what you REALLY think  ;D

It's also heavily populated with public servants.  Given the showdown with the PS he might actually benefit as most people outside of the Army really don't know much about him.

Edited for phrase structure

Back