• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
ModlrMike said:
It's been recognized for a while that Mr Anders needs to be replaced in his riding. I understand from other sources that Mr Anders' riding committee has tried to replace him, but apparently he has a sufficient number of members in his pocket, so no joy there.

And it looks like he is done, according to this article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/rob-anders-takes-second-stab-at-federal-conservative-nomination/article20713279/#dashboard/follows/
gam-masthead.png

MP Rob Anders loses second Conservative nomination bid

BILL GRAVELAND
BROOKS, Alta — The Canadian Press

Published Saturday, Sep. 20 2014

In the end he never even showed up to hear the final results.

Calgary MP Rob Anders, whose controversies spanned the last 17 years, was beaten Saturday in this rural riding east of Calgary where he had hoped to resurrect his flagging political career.

Anders had sought the Conservative nomination in the new riding of Bow River, which covers a big swath of southern Alberta east of Calgary, including the communities of Strathmore, Brooks, Taber and Vauxhall.

He decided to make a second attempt after losing a bitterly fought battle in Calgary Signal Hill, which takes in a large part of the constituency of Calgary West that Anders represented for 17 years.

Former provincial cabinet minister Ron Liepert bested Anders in that race and will represent the Conservatives in the next election set for the fall of 2015.

Anders received permission to run for a second nomination. When he announced he was running he said there was still a lot of work to do in Ottawa including personal property and gun rights, cutting taxes and “family values that need to be fought for.”

Anders was spotted outside the hotel where the voting took place Saturday morning but by the time the dust had settled he was nowhere to be found.

The mayor of the City of Brooks, Martin Shields, who had labelled Anders a “drop-in candidate”, was named the winner.

“I’m absolutely humbled that I’m in this position and thankful for the people who believe in me,” Shields told reporters immediately after the win.

“I believed there were strong candidates within the riding and that people had a great choice within the riding. If someone else comes in that’s up to the voters to determine if that’s a suitable candidate from outside,” he added.

As for Anders’ absence from the final results Shields just shrugged.

“So be it. It’s their choice whether they’re here or not. Three of us were,” he said.

Shields recognized that Anders’ entry into the race sparked a lot of public interest - particularly in the media. But he said that wasn’t what won the nomination.

“I think there was interest sparked in the media but I think that the people in the communities that I talked to were interested if you knew about them,” he said.

“When it came down to buying a membership and going to vote they wanted to look for someone who actually knew about their community.”

Anders is known for his strong social conservative views and gained attention for his sometimes inflammatory statements, including his opposition to granting honorary citizenship to Nelson Mandela, branding the South African leader a communist and a terrorist.

He once compared the 2008 Beijing Olympics to the 1936 Berlin Games, which were held when the Nazis governed Germany.

In 2012, Anders was dropped from the Commons veterans affairs committee after he lashed out at a veterans support group that had criticized him for falling asleep during a committee meeting. He later apologized for saying his critics were NDP “hacks.”

David Taras, a political scientist from Mount Royal University, said Anders had a lot going against him coming into the riding including having already lost in Calgary and being from outside.

“He didn’t have much political strength or clout or much of an organization,” he said.

Mr Anders is not the last of the social conservatives, but he was amongst the most useless and divisive.

Rifleman62 said:
http://epaper.nationalpost.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

National Post - 19 Sep 14

MPs prohibited from visiting bases

Members of Parliament are barred from visiting Canadian military bases except under restricted circumstances. Defence Minister Rob Nicholson’s office says the policy was created by the military, applies to MPs from all parties and is designed to “ensure the resources of the Canadian Armed Forces are used effectively.” Two weeks ago, MP Yvonne Jones, the Liberals’ search and rescue critic, was denied permission from the minister to tour Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt and CFB Comox, both major hubs for the military’s search-and-rescue operations in B.C.

That is an outrageous policy, if the reporting is accurate. If anything, these people need a lot more time on bases and stations, attending exercises, visiting deployments and generally seeing how things work (and break down). I think it is especially essential that they have regular and routine opportunity to witness and experience first hand that the CAF is a professional organization with a serious task assigned  by Parliament, but that it is not taken seriously as it should be by every Parliamentarian of any political stripe. How does the CAF expect that their ultimate political masters are in a truly informed position to understand issues and gain support for necessary improvements? Are we to expect that our MP's consult with Army.ca as an alternate?

Continuously educating and informing democratically elected representatives about the CAF should be a strategic objective, not a restricted pony show. I hope the article is inaccurate.

E.R. Campbell said:
Mr Anders is not the last of the social conservatives, but he was amongst the most useless and divisive.

I wonder if his ouster will serve as a lesson to others that the party has moved more towards the center. Move with it or get left behind.

So, leSoleil reports that the federal NDP is leading the federal Liberals in Quebec. The report says (my translation) that:

"The New Democratic Party's (NDP) Mr. Mulcair and the Liberal Party of Canada's (LPC) Justin Trudeau have exchanged the lead in the polls over the last month. The NDP climbed from 32% to 36% and
      the PLC were down from 38% to 34%. For their part, the Conservatives and the Bloc Quebecois remain "marginalized" with 13% each. The Green Party is at 5% ... Stephen Harper, fared poorly in the
      category of "best prime minister of Canada." He only gets 10% support, while Justin Trudeau wins 25% and Thomas Mulcair leads at 31%. The best news for the Conservatives in Quebec is that even
      if the total vote is small, it is particularly concentrated in the Quebec City region, where they attract 24% and are likely to win a (very) few seats."

I will reiterate, Justin Trudeau's route to 24 Sussex Drive, even, indeed, to Stornoway, runs, in my opinion, through Quebec. If he cannot displace Thomas Mulcair in Quebec then I doubt he can do well enough in Ontario, much less sweep it as Jean Chrétien did in the 1990s, to gain power. The real  battle in 2014 and in 2015 is between Messers Mulcair and Trudeau, not between either or both of them and Prime Minister Harper.

whiskey601 said:
That is an outrageous policy, if the reporting is accurate. If anything, these people need a lot more time on bases and stations, attending exercises, visiting deployments and generally seeing how things work (and break down). I think it is especially essential that they have regular and routine opportunity to witness and experience first hand that the CAF is a professional organization with a serious task assigned  by Parliament, but that it is not taken seriously as it should be by every Parliamentarian of any political stripe. How does the CAF expect that their ultimate political masters are in a truly informed position to understand issues and gain support for necessary improvements? Are we to expect that our MP's consult with Army.ca as an alternate?

Continuously educating and informing democratically elected representatives about the CAF should be a strategic objective, not a restricted pony show. I hope the article is inaccurate.

Likely it is. I used to be able to talk directly to an MP's office, that is long gone. Everything has to get cleared by HQ and many high approvals.

E.R. Campbell said:
So, leSoleil reports that the federal NDP is leading the federal Liberals in Quebec. The report says (my translation) that:

"The New Democratic Party's (NDP) Mr. Mulcair and the Liberal Party of Canada's (LPC) Justin Trudeau have exchanged the lead in the polls over the last month. The NDP climbed from 32% to 36% and
      the PLC were down from 38% to 34%. For their part, the Conservatives and the Bloc Quebecois remain "marginalized" with 13% each. The Green Party is at 5% ... Stephen Harper, fared poorly in the
      category of "best prime minister of Canada." He only gets 10% support, while Justin Trudeau wins 25% and Thomas Mulcair leads at 31%. The best news for the Conservatives in Quebec is that even
      if the total vote is small, it is particularly concentrated in the Quebec City region, where they attract 24% and are likely to win a (very) few seats."

I will reiterate, Justin Trudeau's route to 24 Sussex Drive, even, indeed, to Stornoway, runs, in my opinion, through Quebec. If he cannot displace Thomas Mulcair in Quebec then I doubt he can do well enough in Ontario, much less sweep it as Jean Chrétien did in the 1990s, to gain power. The real  battle in 2014 and in 2015 is between Messers Mulcair and Trudeau, not between either or both of them and Prime Minister Harper.

CBC News (Éric Grenier of ThreeHundredEight.com) suggests that M. Trudeau still leads both M. Mulcair and Prime Minister Harper in a couple of key measures on a national basis, in this article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tom-mulcair-s-polls-dilemma-canadians-like-him-but-will-they-vote-for-him-1.2780301?cmp=rss
cbcnewslogo.png

ANALYSIS
Tom Mulcair's polls dilemma: Canadians like him, but will they vote for him?

Justin Trudeau sees disapproval ratings rise, but poll suggests most don't think he's 'in over his head'

By Éric Grenier, CBC News

Posted: Sep 28, 2014

Liking a political leader and wanting to vote for him or her can be two very different things.

Take the example of Canada's three federal leaders.

Justin Trudeau's approval ratings are high and he tops the polls on who would make the best prime minister. But his chief rival on that latter question is not Thomas Mulcair, who boasts similarly impressive approval ratings, but rather Stephen Harper, who has ratings no incumbent leader should envy.

Harper's approval ratings have been relatively consistent for some time. A simple average of polls conducted since mid-May gives the prime minister an approval rating of just 34 per cent, compared to a disapproval rating of 58 per cent.

While that is an improvement on his average numbers from earlier in the year, when his approval rating was around 31 per cent, it is lower than the 37 per cent Harper was able to manage in the latter half of 2012.

It is also considerably lower than the approval ratings of his two main opponents on the other side of the House of Commons. Over the same period of recent polling, Mulcair has averaged an approval rating of 43 per cent and Trudeau 45 per cent. Their disapproval ratings, at 32 and 39 per cent respectively, are also superior.

Yet Mulcair is not as competitive on the question of who would make the best prime minister. An average of recent polls suggests about 17 per cent of Canadians would select the NDP leader, compared to 28 per cent for Harper and 31 per cent for Trudeau. And Mulcair's numbers have been worsening — he was polling at around 20 per cent earlier in the year.

That trend is somewhat contrary to Mulcair's improving approval ratings. Before the Senate scandal re-ignited last fall, the NDP leader's approval rating averaged about 34 per cent, with equal proportions disapproving or having no opinion. After the scandal broke, and Mulcair received rave reviews for his performances during question period, the number of Canadians saying they had no opinion of the NDP leader dropped by about 10 points.

Virtually all of those people who finally formed an opinion of Mulcair liked what they saw.

But that has not translated into higher support, as Mulcair continues to lag on leadership polling and his party remains stuck in third place.

Familiarity a factor, good and bad

Trudeau, on the other hand, has remained ahead on both measures despite his growing disapproval rating. His approval rating has been generally consistent since he became leader of the Liberal Party. However, in the first three months of his leadership his disapproval rating averaged 27 per cent, with 29 per cent undecided. For the remainder of 2013, those undecideds fell by about 10 points.

But the number of Canadians who said they disapproved of the Liberal leader also increased by about 10 points. Nevertheless, this has yet to hurt his party in the polls.

One factor holding Mulcair back may be the lack of familiarity Canadians have with him. A poll by Abacus Data, conducted Aug.15-18 and interviewing 1,614 online panelists, found 51 per cent of respondents either had a neutral impression of the NDP leader or did not know what kind of impression they had of him. This compared to just 34 per cent for Trudeau and 28 per cent for Harper.

The challenge for Mulcair, then, would seem to be to get more Canadians to get to know him. The polls suggest that in the past this has worked well for the Official Opposition leader, at least on a personal level. This may explain the recent NDP campaign to roll out policy proposals and to contrast Mulcair's experience with that of Trudeau.

But it may not work. The same Abacus Data poll asked respondents if Trudeau was "in over his head," borrowing an attack-ad line from the Conservatives. The survey found that a majority of Canadians said that he wasn't, or that if he was he could "learn on the job."

It would appear that Canadians are giving Trudeau the benefit of the doubt, while Harper retains a solid base of support. Unless Mulcair can turn sympathy into votes, it leaves him and his respectable approval ratings in the lurch on the question that matters most.

The Abacus Data poll asked the following questions: “Do you think Justin Trudeau ‘is in over his head', as Conservatives have been saying?” and “Do you have a positive or negative impression of the following people? Prime Minister Stephen Harper / NDP Leader Tom Mulcair / Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau”. As the poll was conducted online, a margin of error does not apply.

This article reviews trends in national public opinion surveys. Methodology, sample size, and margin of error if one can be stated vary from survey to survey.

Rifleman62 said:
Cdns appear to want an Obama North. Don't understand it.

I do. I well recall that circa 1967 Canadians wanted our own JFK ... we got PET.

3284FF93BD6F4D1EE621979F13ABC.jpg

(I received a vitally important political science lesson back around then from a somewhat ditzy (but gorgeous and 'friendly') blond girl. I explained to her that both John G Diefenbaker and Lester B Pearson were men of some substance, gravitas, bottom ... "Ugh!" she said, "they wear boots! I couldn't vote for them." "Boots?" I asked, puzzled. "Yes," she said, "have you never looked at them? They wear boots!" Sure enough, they did, now and again, just like both my grandfathers, wear dress boots, sometimes even with spats. But, to her, boots equated to "out of date," not relative to her concerns. Other people voted for Pierre Trudeau for other reasons - but there was no really good reason to favour Trudeau over, say, Paul Martin Sr or, especially, Robert Winters, for Liberal leader, or, in general elections, the old 'Chief' or Robert Stanfield. But Canadians did, and "boots" was probably as well reasoned as any other factor.)

Rifleman62 said:
Cdns appear to want an Obama North. Don't understand it.

Unfortunately if we get Obama of the north we dont have the comfort of knowing that he's limited to 8 years. If the dauphin is elected he could be in a loooonnnnngggg time so long as he maintains his popularity.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
If the dauphin is elected he could be in a loooonnnnngggg time so long as he maintains his popularity voters and media maintain hatred of Conservativism and the Harper boogyman

....regardless of whether either group's dislike is based on rational thinking or simply a matter of "boots"      :dunno:

Speaking of boots, I have been told numerous times over the years, by numerous people/Harper haters that it is because of his "eyes". In fact last week, didn't a female repeater for the G & M say Harper's sardonic eyes or some such?

Journeyman said:
....regardless of whether either group's dislike is based on rational thinking or simply a matter of "boots"      :dunno:

Agreed. I think a large part of the problem for the conservatives is that they are equated with the republicans. Ipso facto US media influences Canadian politics through their portrayal of right vs left, which is, I would say, much more biased than Canadian media.

To me, John Stewart and John Oliver have a greater influence on Canadian politics than the CBC, Globe and Mail, and National Post. They reach more viewers in key demographics than do the traditional media (18-30) and they present their side with humour and sarcasm, which is more relatable than traditional news sources. So, the "boogeyman" to me is from the southern US and Canadians equation that Harper=Bush.

Just my  :2c:

The Abacus Data poll asked the following questions: “Do you think Justin Trudeau ‘is in over his head', as Conservatives have been saying?” and “Do you have a positive or negative impression of the following people? Prime Minister Stephen Harper / NDP Leader Tom Mulcair / Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau”. As the poll was conducted online, a margin of error does not apply.

I wonder how the results would have appeared if the questions had been asked these ways:

“Do you think Justin Trudeau ‘is in over his head', as Conservatives have been saying?

Do you have a positive or negative impression of the following people? Prime Minister Stephen Harper / NDP Leader Tom Mulcair / Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau

Do you have a positive or negative impression of the following people? Prime Minister Stephen Harper / NDP Leader Tom Mulcair / Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau”

Party affiliation and recognition vs name recognition vs anti-conservativism (progressivism).

Especially on the first question, the fact that the Conservatives said anything is enough to convince much of the population to take the opposite stance.

With respect to Trudeau - I am currently reading Bernard Cornwell's "Excalibur" where Arthur's armies are led to battle by the salted corpse of a virgin prince - I think many of the old-time trudeaumaniacs would be just as happy to follow a similar banner.  The fact that their totem walks and occasionally talks is a bonus.  Although maybe he should confine himself to walking.

Now, the AG's office doesn't quite "get" Senators' work well enough to audit them?
Senators, who are undergoing the most stringent probe of their expenses in the history of Parliament, are questioning whether Auditor General Michael Ferguson’s auditors have an adequate understanding of the roles of Senators to review their expenses. But a leading academic says Senators are trying to pre-empt any potential embarrassing news that could come out in the final audit report, expected early next year.

“I am concerned that a number of these auditors don’t really understand the role of a Senator,” said New Brunswick Liberal Senator Joseph Day (Saint John-Kennebecasis, N.B.), chair of the powerful Senate Standing Committee on National Finance and a member of the National Security and Defence Committee, in an interview with The Hill Times.

Sen. Day declined to get into specific details of his concerns and spoke only in broad terms, but other Liberal and Conservative Senators offered their comments on the subject, but only on a not-for-attribution basis because the AG’s Office has advised them in writing not to publicly discuss the details of how the audit is being conducted.

The audit on his office has just started and Sen. Day said he had only one meeting with auditors who explained how the audit will be conducted. Without elaborating, Sen. Day said although Michael Ferguson’s auditors were briefed on the role and the nature of the work of Senators, he said he was not sure if that training was sufficient ....

Senior Liberal insider (I think he's even older than I) Gordon Gibson does some political  :stirpot:  in this article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/for-harper-a-textbook-moment-to-call-a-snap-election/article21046030/#dashboard/follows/
gam-masthead.png

For Harper, a textbook moment for a snap election

GORDON GIBSON
Special to The Globe and Mail

Published Friday, Oct. 10 2014

Gordon Gibson is the author of A New Look at Canadian Indian Policy. ggibson@bc-home.com

The Prime Ministerial nose must be twitching, the spine tingling, dampened finger held in the air the better to test the winds. Is this the time? Arguably, we are at a textbook moment for the calling of a snap election.

This is one of the highest risk/reward chances a First Minister can take. Pauline Marois did it and lost, big time. Kathleen Wynne did it and won, though her hand was forced. My old boss, Pierre Trudeau, did it in 1968 and overwhelmingly swept the country.

Ironically in this moment the stage has been set by Justin Trudeau. His remarks over the deployment of jet fighters to Iraq have revealed again a streak of youthful foolishness and adventurism that we saw in the severing of wise old Senators from his caucus (who would surely advised against this latest folly had they still been in the room) and the wholly unnecessary rousing and partisan cloaking of the abortion issue. The public and even the editorial page of this newspaper are openly wondering about his judgment.

This could hardly be better for Mr. Harper, who is facing a tough electoral quandry. People are rather tired of him, and looking for somebody new and younger. (The Prime Minister is only 55 but has been around for a long time. He has whatever is the ageist component of gravitats.)

The voting intention numbers in the polls have been stubbornly stuck for months at about 40 for the Libs, 30 for the Conservatives, 20 for the NDs and 10 for the odds and ends. Those figures spell the end of a Conservative government if crystallized in an election. And it will obviously take something big to move the numbers. The moment may have arrived.

The issue of Canada joining the likes of the United States, Britain, France, Australia, the Netherlands and some Arab countries in an aerial assault on the forces of the barbarous Islamic State is a big one. Mr. Harper properly called a Parliamentary vote on it, though by convention he didn't have to. Perhaps he was setting a trap? After all he didn’t brief the opposition privately on his reasons, which is the right thing to do in such cases. He just put it to them, which caused Mr. Trudeau to take much offence. But sometimes better to sit there and take it.

Instead he walked into a trap. He caused his party to vote against joining the coalition, even for a very limited time with minimalist exposure of soldiers and military assets. This at a time when, according to one public poll, a full 64 per cent of Canadians want this done. This was a foolish number to ignore, but he did it. Liberal grandees such as former foreign minister Lloyd Axworthy and former leader Bob Rae are appalled. Senior MP Irwin Cotler very pointedly abstained on the vote. The Liberals are currently on the wrong side of history, as most see it.

It takes 36 days to hold a national election. Yes, according to the law it is scheduled to happen only a year from now, but that law has a loophole big enough to flip a CF-18 through. Now, think about how that election might unfold if called now.

The election themes to be set by Mr. Harper, if he could make it stick, is “Our troops must know the people back them no matter what the Liberals and New Democrats say! Fight the most deadly and disgusting and dangerous force in the world which has suddenly appeared in Syria and Iraq and must be stopped!” and, “Canada does not leave it for others to do the heavy lifting. That is not the Canadian way.”

The days and weeks pass by. The jet fighters are slowly deployed to the Middle East, no casualties yet, a few sorties flown. IS atrocities grow more horrific by the day and their ground troops are not rolled back. The resolve of the allies strengthens. All of this dominates the media. (Oh,...all except for new and plausible budget and tax-cut promises in the Fall Economic Statement.)

Poor Mr. Muclcair, who surely must be one of the most frustrated politicians ever in the country given his high hopes and hard work, would run about the country promising a better left wing world and secretly hoping to hold on to a more pacifist Quebec.

Mr. Trudeau would be left with flashing his sunny smile and explaining how a non-kinetic (as the soldiers say) activity like humanitarian aid is really the best way to fight this menace, and besides, have I told you the rest of my program?

This particular Canada-in-the-world concern has the legs to dominate a campaign of just a few weeks. This looks like Mr. Harper's best shot unless he has some very secret platform plans that might compare. Will he roll the dice?

There is one potential fly in the ointment: His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston. Although not a constitutional lawyer, per se, he is a distinguished legal scholar and he has the right and, arguably, the duty, to deny the prime minister an election when his hold on the confidence of parliament is so strong. On the other hand,I'm sure HE is all too well aware that the Canadian Constitution is a highly political thing and the weight of constitutional convention (more powerful than any written word) lies with the PM.

milnews.ca said:
Now, the AG's office doesn't quite "get" Senators' work well enough to audit them?

With the senators, it was a self inflicted wound.  Marjory LeBreton lacked the slightest ability to lead through the Senate scandal.  She simply didn't have a clue about all the crap which was going to come down on the government.  The Conservative senators seemed jealous of the attention paid to Senators Duffy and Wallin.  Everyone was so willing to sacrifice Wallin and Duffy that they forgot that everyone was doing the same thing to different degrees.  The Senate should have worked together to come up with new rules and should have made no attempt to apply them retroactively.  That was the problem.  The rules changed.

While His Excellency has the weight of legal scholarship on his side, the Prime Minister could argue (with some justification) that since Canada is becoming involved in a war (and potentially a very long term war- a 30 years war-) there is a need to advance a new agenda and gain the confidence of the Canadian people and the House for the new agenda.

Of course this is a very dangerous course, since many (most?) Canadians would vote for butter over guns until their ISIS was in the city and the neighbour's house was on fire.

Personally, I believe the PM's strategy of going into an election with a balanced budget is probably the sounder course of action, and the idea of a snap election may be more dezinformatsiya spread by the Laurentian elites to muddy the waters and derail the narrative the Conservatives have been creating.

Thucydides said:
While His Excellency has the weight of legal scholarship on his side, the Prime Minister could argue (with some justification) that since Canada is becoming involved in a war (and potentially a very long term war- a 30 years war-) there is a need to advance a new agenda and gain the confidence of the Canadian people and the House for the new agenda.

Of course this is a very dangerous course, since many (most?) Canadians would vote for butter over guns until their ISIS was in the city and the neighbour's house was on fire.

Personally, I believe the PM's strategy of going into an election with a balanced budget is probably the sounder course of action, and the idea of a snap election may be more dezinformatsiya spread by the Laurentian elites to muddy the waters and derail the narrative the Conservatives have been creating.

At least some Conservative insiders agree with you, according to this article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Hill Times:

http://www.hilltimes.com/news/news/2014/10/13/pm-harper-could-justify-calling-an-early-election-say-former-pmo-advisers/39895?mcl=896&muid=28448
hilltimes.jpg

PM Harper could justify calling an early election, say former PMO advisers

By ABBAS RANA |
Published: Monday, 10/13/2014 12:00 am EDT

If Prime Minister Stephen Harper chose to pull the plug early for the next election, he would have no difficulty in making the case for one as the opposition parties have already voted against the Conservatives on Canada’s combat mission in Iraq and the need for a fresh mandate on how to spend billions of dollars in the expected surplus in the next federal budget, say Conservatives.

The next federal election is supposed to happen on Oct. 19, 2015, but in interviews last week, several Conservative insiders and opposition MPs told The Hill Times that they wouldn’t be surprised if one is triggered this fall after the fall economic update or in the spring 2015, chiefly to avoid the potential fallout from the 41-day proceedings of Conservative-turned-Independent Sen. Mike Duffy’s trial scheduled to start on April 7. The fall economic update, which is expected to be released either at the end of this month or early next month, is likely to include announcements of tax breaks such as income-splitting for parents with children under the age of 18, doubling of children’s fitness tax credit and allowing an increase of annual contribution for tax-free savings accounts from $5,500 to $10,000.

“Right after the fall economic update, I can see the Prime Minister saying ‘We need to go to the people because we’ve got the Iraq war, we want a mandate on the Iraq war and we want a mandate to implement the tax changes we’ve put into the fall economic update,” Bruce Carson, former senior adviser to Mr. Harper told The Hill Times and added that although the 2008 election was called in September, Mr. Harper had made up his mind in early summer that he wanted to go to the polls in the fall because of the country’s poor economic outlook at that point and the prospect that then-opposition leader Stéphane Dion (Saint-Laurent-Cartierville, Que.) would grill him day after day on the economy.

So, he said, Mr. Harper by now would have made up his mind whether he wants to go early or follow the scheduled election date.

Using his majority, in a vote in the House of Commons on Tuesday, Mr. Harper passed a motion authorizing the launch of combat operations in Iraq. The final tally was 157-134 with 13 MPs—six Conservative, three NDP, three Liberal and one Independent were absent. The New Democratic Party and the Liberal Party opposed this motion. Liberal MP Irwin Cotler (Mount Royal, Que.) abstained while Green Party MP Bruce Hyer (Thunder Bay-Superior North, Ont.) voted for and his party leader Elizabeth May (Saanich-Gulf Islands, B.C.) voted against this motion.

In interviews last week, opposition MPs charged that the Harper government handled this vote in “a secretive, hyper-partisan and disrespectful” way to ensure that opposition parties don’t support it. They said that the Conservatives failed to provide all the relevant information deliberately for partisan reasons.

“His whole approach was very secretive and not respectful of Parliamentary procedures or precedence. He’ll have to answer for that. That’s his problem, not ours. We have taken and we’ll continue to take a very solid, principled position based upon the highest and best value that Canada can bring and we’ll be focused on our message to Canadians,” Deputy Liberal leader Ralph Goodale (Wascana, Sask.) said in an interview with The Hill Times last week.

On the fiscal side, for the first time since 2008, the next year’s federal budget is likely to run a $7-billion surplus.

Meanwhile, Mr. Carson and other Conservatives interviewed for this article said that should Mr. Harper decided to call an election earlier than October of next year, it will either be after the fall economic update or prior to the start of the Duffy trial. They said that there are good reasons to go to the polls early for the Conservatives because it will be an uphill battle for their party to win a fourth consecutive mandate. Most importantly, they said, the Conservatives want to avoid the expected political damage from the Duffy trial and also for governing parties, there are always concerns for “more things to go wrong.”

“When you’re in government, you never know what’s going to hit you next,” said Mr. Carson.

“I don’t know what’s going to come out in the Duffy trial, but do you want to take a chance? Whether it’s going to stick or not, Mr. Mulcair and Mr. Trudeau are sure as heck [going to] bring out the mucilage to make sure that it does stick. …Do you really want to take that chance? It’s one of those things: you don’t know what you don’t know. You don’t want that,” said Mr. Carson about the Duffy case in which the suspended Senator is facing 31 charges including fraud, bribery and breach of trust.

Mr. Carson’s trial is also set to start on Sept. 8, 2015 just before the next election. Mr. Carson was charged under the Lobbying Act for lobbying while prohibited and he was already facing influence peddling charges from 2012 under the Criminal Code.

Keith Beardsley, former deputy chief of staff to Mr. Harper, agreed that Sen. Duffy’s trial could turn out to be a serious political headache.

“You can’t control events. You’re really at the mercy of whatever happens [when your party is in government]. There’s nothing you can do to control what’s going to happen. Governments usually go [for an election] when the timing is best suited for them,” said Mr. Beardsley, who now is the president of Cenco Public Affairs.

“It’s [Duffy trial] going to have an impact that’s going to remind people of a lot of stuff. I fully expect that Duffy has stuff that he’s sitting on, that he hasn’t released which may or may not be any different from what’s out there now, but will put a different slant on things and give the media another reason to go full blown on Duffy coverage.”

Most of the public opinion polls in the last year-and-a-half have shown that Justin Trudeau’s (Papineau, Que.) Liberals are leading in public opinion polls. According to an EKOS poll released on Oct. 1, Liberals were ahead of the other national parties with the support of 38.3 per cent of Canadians, followed by the Conservatives with 24.9 per cent support, the NDP at 24.4 per cent and the Green Party at 7.7 per cent. The poll of 1,549 Canadians was conducted via phone and online between Sept. 21-25. The margin of error was plus or minus 2.5 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

Mr. Beardsley said that in his opinion, it will be “foolish” to give the opposition parties more time to get stronger and that it’s also distressing for his party that Mr. Trudeau has been leading in public opinion polls for months.

“Your opponents get stronger every day. There’s a point where you either try and take down your opponent before they become too strong. [Otherwise] You basically set yourself up for failure. I don’t think they’re [Conservatives] going to do that. They’ll move when they feel the time is right,” Mr. Beardsley said.

“If the polls don’t turn around, then the polls become almost self fulfilling. People see this person ahead poll after poll after poll and they begin to shift their [voting preference] or at least become neutral. You have to do something to halt that upward trend,” Mr. Beardsley said.

Prime Minister Harper brought in the fixed date election law in 2007, but chose to ignore it a year later and came back with more seats after the 2008 federal election. The last federal election took place on May 2, 2011, and, according to the law passed by Parliament, federal elections are to be held on “the third Monday of October in the fourth calendar year following the previous general election.”  This means the next election is supposed to happen on Oct. 19, 2015. The fixed date election law does not bar the Prime Minister from triggering an election before the scheduled date.

Some politicos argue that there would be a backlash from Canadians if Mr. Harper broke his own fixed election date again with a majority government. Opposition parties said if he did, they would make it an election issue. But Conservatives said that even if the opposition parties raised this as an issue during the campaign, it would last only for a few days before other issues come up.

“You can call an election whenever you want and you can always justify it. Even if you get beat up in the media for calling one, that lasts about may be a week and at that point various parties are going to [announce] different policies and at that point, the story changes. I don’t think the average Canadian really pays that much attention to it. It’s more the people inside the bubble in Ottawa who are worked up about it,” said Mr. Beardsley.

Traditionally, parties in government call elections when they think they have the best chance of winning. Former prime minister Jean Chrétien who won three back-to-back majority governments called two elections—1997 and 2000—before even completing four years in government, although on each occasion, he had the mandate for five years. Opposition parties at the time raised this as an issue but Mr. Chrétien won majorities both times.

Opposition parties said they are preparing for the next election with the possibility that it could be triggered sooner than the scheduled date.

“Of course, we’re ready because we don’t trust Mr. Harper. He’s broken his own fixed election date law [before],” NDP MP Nathan Cullen (Skeena-Bulkley Valley, B.C.) said in an interview with The Hill Times.

Mr. Goodale also said the Liberals are preparing to ensure that in case of a snap election, all their election readiness should be in place.

“We’ve been operating on a basis that will deal with all eventualities,” Mr. Goodale (Wascana, Sask.) told The Hill Times.

“He’ll [Mr. Harper] choose if he so inclined any pretext that suits his convenience. ... Whatever petty machinations the prime minster might go through, that’s up to him. We’ll be ready, we’ll have a very attractive alternative for Canadians to embrace.”

Ms. May told The Hill Times that she expects Mr. Harper to follow the fixed election date, but should he chose to ignore it, she will highlight it in the campaign.

“We’ll try to be ready for whatever occurs. But I don’t see how it [early election] could be justified. …If he were to do that, we certainly will be completely ready.”

Conservative MP Daryl Kramp (Prince Edward-Hastings, Ont.), in an interview with The Hill Times, said he has not heard anything from the party leadership that would suggest they’re planning on ignoring the scheduled fixed election date next October.

“The bottom line is at this particular point, the government’s been pretty straightforward and committed that we’re just going to go ahead and follow through with the decision that was reached by Parliament and I’m not given any reason to disbelieve that that’s not going to be the case,” said Mr. Kramp.

Meanwhile, Conrad Black, a staunch Conservative and one of the most well-known former media moguls of the country who writes a column for the National Post, wrote recently that if Mr. Harper wants his party to get re-elected, he should step aside and let the Conservatives elect a new leader.

But Conservatives said that the Prime Minister has no plans to step aside and that he will lead the party in the next election.

“Parties make their own decisions. I have complete confidence in Prime Minister’s leadership. I also suggest Conrad Black doesn’t sit in Parliament,” said Mr. Kramp.

arana@hilltimes.com

The Hill Times

I can see several reasons for going now:

1. The Liberals, despite M. Trudeau's missteps, keep getting stronger and stronger because, after 8+ years, Canadians are, simply, tired of Prime Minister Stephen Harper. He, personally, is the Tories biggest 'negative' and it can only get worse;

2. The Duffy Trial isn't until next year;

3. The Iraq air mission has not, yet, gone bad;

4. There is a global financial crisis (but Canada is reasonably 'sound'); and

5. Just Trudeau has not, yet, found his campaigning feet. He's unsure of himself and prone to go "off message" and make verbal gaffes. But he can get better with time.

Two of those factors: Iraq and the global economic stagnation might be enough to ask (tell) the GG that the government needs an election.

“Parties make their own decisions. I have complete confidence in Prime Minister’s leadership. I also suggest Conrad Black doesn’t sit in Parliament,” said Mr. Kramp.

But with respect to the Honourable Member from Prince Edward-Hastings, I would suggest that Conrad Black does sit in Parliament. He just sits in a foreign country's Parliament, although he is currently listed as being on leave of absence from the UK's Upper House, and I'm not sure the last time he's actually participated in any parliamentary business in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back