• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-murphy-alberta-b-c-clash-just-the-latest-result-of-petrophobes-war-on-the-oilsands

Rex Murphy: In pipeline wars, Trudeau stands as always with Paris, never Alberta - 9 Feb 18

"Lengthy posts and fully quoted articles are posted here."
https://milnet.ca/forums/threads/127408.0.html

Written by somebody who lacks knowledge of how firearms function, but did his best (reporters cannot reasonably be expected to know everything about everything):

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/gerald-stanleys-magical-gun-the-extremely-unlikely-defence-that-secured-his-acquittal

Gerald Stanley’s 'magical gun’: The extremely unlikely defence that secured his acquittal

For Gerald Stanley’s version of events to make sense, two improbable things had to occur simultaneously

"No firearms expert has been able to fully explain or reproduce the “freak accident” that Gerald Stanley claims caused his gun to fire unexpectedly into the head of Colten Boushie.

"The result is what David Tanovich, co-editor of Canadian Bar Review, said was a case of a “magical gun.”

Stanley’s acquittal hinged on a claim of hangfire, an extremely rare scenario in which a cartridge discharges several seconds after it is struck by the firing pin.

"Even then, Boushie should still have survived if not for a second extremely specific malfunction that could not be replicated by experts testing Stanley’s gun."

Trudeau promises new legal framework for Indigenous people.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-speech-indigenous-rights-1.4534679  :facepalm:

e: Already posted.

Once again Canadaland spouts all farmers are racist and the 5 people in the car are blameless in their actions.

http://www.canadalandshow.com/podcast/patrick-brown-vs-reputation/

http://torontosun.com/news/national/malcolm-half-of-prospective-boushie-jurors-were-aboriginal-says-member-of-jury-pool

MALCOLM: Half of prospective Boushie jurors were Aboriginal, says member of jury pool

Candice Malcolm

Published: February 13, 2018
Updated: February 13, 2018 7:40 PM EST

"The person estimates that more than half of the Aboriginal people were granted permission by the judge to be exempt from the trial and free to go home.

"As the prospective juror describes, some of the remaining 45 or so were vocal in expressing their bias and signalling to everyone in the room they were unfit to serve on the jury.

"“You could audibly hear some of them talking amongst themselves, discussing how they were going to hang Stanley, or they were going to make sure he gets hung, or that if they don’t get the results they want, that they were going to handle it themselves,” the person said of the Aboriginal people who remained. This account comes from one individual who spoke with the Sun, and has not yet been corroborated by other witnesses.

"“The thing that was the most shocking to me was the fact that they were so audible from where I was sitting (across the room) and there were police scattered throughout the room. No one stopped them.”

"Of the remaining potential jurors, “everyone was assigned a number and they literally pulled numbers from a bucket. It was totally random,” the person said, whose own number was not selected."

http://edmontonsun.com/opinion/columnists/after-boushie-case-are-we-headed-for-gladue-2-0/wcm/95447d0e-6ceb-4ad9-948e-1600e3d5dd68

GUNTER: After Boushie case, are we headed for Gladue 2.0?

Lorne Gunter

Published: February 13, 2018

Updated: February 13, 2018 2:09 PM MST

"In the spring of 2016, when the sexual assault trial of former CBC host Jian Ghomeshi failed to produce the verdict the Trudeau government wanted, the government decided to change the law to make it even harder for men to defend themselves against rape allegations.

"Canada at the time already had one of the toughest “rape shields” in the world – a set of laws and judicial precedents that made it difficult to raise a woman’s past sexual behaviour in court, thereby making it harder for a defendant to establish the alleged victim had given consent.
I wouldn’t trust Ghomeshi around my wife or daughter, but that’s not the point.

"Because his defence lawyers had used his accusers’ emails and texts to expose serious inconsistencies between the accusers’ post-attack behaviour towards Ghomeshi and the claims they were making to police and prosecutors, the Trudeau Liberals changed Canadian law to make it very difficult to introduce an alleged victim’s electronic communications “of a sexual nature” or “for a sexual purpose.” This made it even harder than it had been for an accused to establish he had reasonable grounds to believe the alleged victim had consented.

"The underlying message of the amendments was: Due process and reasonable doubt are unimportant next to social justice for women. Therefore, it’s justifiable to stack the deck to make sure that when men are accused, they are found guilty.

"Now in the wake of the Gerald Stanley verdict in Saskatchewan, are we headed for a similar Liberal deck-stacking against those accused of crimes against Indigenous people?"

Sounding more and more like a Liberal hit job. I hope that's proven quickly to clearly indicate how crooked the ON Liberals are.

Further to ModlrMike's post, this just published.

http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4535373?__twitter_impression=true

"Lengthy posts and fully quoted articles are posted here."
https://milnet.ca/forums/threads/127409.0.html

Loachman said:
Written by somebody who lacks knowledge of how firearms function, but did his best (reporters cannot reasonably be expected to know everything about everything):

Yet when I search the Internet for Tokarev Hand Gun misfires, I see they are aplenty.
I have my CCJ students working on a proven as fact, assertions not proven, lore and myth, fabrication and fiction project on this entire file. It's good to see young people wake up to all of the distortion fields on such a crucial issue, especially since some will be working in this space. Not making any friends with the SJW faculty though!

"PSE leaders issue statements on Colton Boushie verdict
“I haven't seen a day like this since I've been at the university,” said Laurentian University Interim President Pierre Zundel of the reaction he saw in his university community following the not-guilty verdict in the case involving the death of Colton Boushie. “Laurentian University is committed to reconciliation,” reads a statement from Zundel. “That means we will dig deep and help create a justice system that works for all people, including those it currently fails most consistently, namely Indigenous peoples.” Queen’s University Principal Daniel Woolf also issued a statement of condolence to Boushie’s friends and family, which came in addition to a candlelight vigil held by the school’s Indigenous Law Students’ Alliance and the Office of Indigenous Initiatives on Tuesday night. A number of other schools across the country also released statements and held solidarity events in the wake of the verdict."

As a side note, I was surprised how many of the students own or have used firearms, roughy half of the class even though the sporting club has been banned, including biathlon. (I would have thought that anything starts with Bi would survive, guess not.

Here is what I was talking about earlier, in terms of "the other side of the story", from the SK farming community:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/stanley-verdict-again-raising-concerns-over-rural-crime-1.4535146

One could argue whether this should have been presented earlier, but at least it's out there.

Now, will the PM or a Minister talk with these farmers? Marginalizing them or avoiding them like nuclear waste will only make this problem worse. Its very clear that the CCC doesn't allow us to kill to protect property alone (nor should it), but  obviously these people fear more than just property crimes.

There's a single reason why property rights are not enshrined in the constitution - it makes it easier for government to take it from you.

Whoah, whoah whoah there! Insofar as real property is concerned" "When Aboriginal title is proven it erases the Crown’s assumed beneficial interest in relation to Aboriginal lands."  A victorious outcome for the Tsilhqot’in Nation from the Supreme Court of Canada.

As for why the right to own or possess property for the rest of us was not included in the Charter:

"Despite the responsible and conservative judicial interpretation given the right to property in the Canadian Bill of Rights, there existed among senior Department of Justice officials a deep-seated fear that the juxtaposition of the right to property and "due process" in a constitutional instrument would give rise to an excessively wide definition of the term "property" and result in extreme substantive interventionism by the Canadian judiciary.  The solution frequently proposed to this perceived problem was to recommend the separation of the right to property from the right to life, liberty and security of the person and to qualify the right to property by some expression which has less substantive import than "due process", such as "according to law" or "natural justice".

https://commonlaw.uottawa.ca/ottawa-law-review/sites/commonlaw.uottawa.ca.ottawa-law-review/files/09_18ottawalrev551986.pdf at page 67.

pbi said:
Here is what I was talking about earlier, in terms of "the other side of the story", from the SK farming community:

The Reddit thread that I posted earlier is an eye-opener, although I was already generally aware of the problems in rural Saskatchewan (and other provinces; plenty of crack houses in isolated areas with negligible police presence) from people who live there.

I live in rural Alberta. There is a known chemical lab two range roads over from me. Thefts are through the roof because it's easy to lift something to exchange for drugs.  My house is a 20 minute drive from the nearest RCMP detachment, 15 if they put their foot into it. That's if the lone member on patrol in this county at night is at the det. If not, it can be up to an hour. The suggestion that a guy should take a beating, or worse, while he waits for the law to show up (if they show up, property crimes are low priority in these here parts) rather than defend "just stuff" is revolting. If I'm outnumber 5-2 in a showdown with an unpredictable adversary, is that not reason enough to fear for my life? I wont comment on the verdict, because I wasn't in the courthouse, and I certainly wasn't in that farmyard, but my sentiments are pretty much the norm out here.

More deaths are inevitable unless policing is improved, and courts and governments take legitimate concerns seriously. That includes eliminating the practice of letting indigenous criminals, especially the violent ones, off with lighter sentences because of an unfortunate collective history.

Simultaneously, real improvements to the lives of these communities need to be made, but that absolutely must include some effort on their part, and acceptance of their responsibility for the actions of their members, in return.

Until then, these tensions will merely bubble and churn away out of majority sight until they erupt again, in, most likely, a much worse way.

Both sides deserve better, and need to heal very real rifts. I'd not be surprised one whit if limited open warfare breaks out in the future if that does not happen.

I am not optimistic, especially as our "leadership" is encouraging one side and subtly threatening the other.

[quote author=Kat Stevens]  The suggestion that a guy should take a beating, or worse, while he waits for the law to show up (if they show up, property crimes are low priority in these here parts) rather than defend "just stuff" is revolting.
[/quote]

100%

Loachman said:
More deaths are inevitable unless policing is improved, and courts and governments take legitimate concerns seriously. That includes eliminating the practice of letting indigenous criminals, especially the violent ones, off with lighter sentences because of an unfortunate collective history.

In Canada - and most of the Western World - corrections is focused on recidivism, not punitive. Research suggests that longer sentences has a negative affect on recidivism rates.  Where  corrections needs to improve, is to provide adaqute and appropriate programming to aboriginal inmates.

I am not necessarily a fan of lengthy sentences, or of simply caging somebody, unless that person has demonstrated and continues to display uncontrollable violent tendencies from which the public deserves, and must have, protection. Public protection absolutely must be paramount. Rehabilitation, if and where possible, is the next priority, which includes meaningful support in the host community to the maximum extent possible.

New York reduced crime drastically, many years ago, by treating even minor crimes seriously. That discouraged many minor offenders from escalating to bigger crimes. They quickly understood that throwing a stone through a window would result in arrest, a cell overnight, a trial, and an appropriate sentence rather than just a stern talking-to and immediate release following a promise to behave.

Failure to effectively discourage/deter is unacceptable - it helps nobody, especially the offenders, who merely, correctly, and rapidly learn that they can get away with almost anything, often until somebody is seriously hurt or killed.

The carrot (and carrots are infinitely preferable if and when they work) to that stick is meaningful provision of work-related training and job-finding assistance.

Band leaders - too-often corrupt and abusive towards their own people - need to be exposed and held to account as part of that process. I would, if able, eliminate payments to bands and, instead, provide payments to individual adults. Band leaders could then apply taxes to their members to support necessary programmes. Ordinary members would then see how much is being taken from them, and would have more interest in controlling excesses (such as the legendary multi-million-dollar off-reserve Chief's house, if such actually exist).

Kind of like democracy.

I have a long-time indigenous friend who lives off of, but works on, a small reserve, and hear regular tales of the favouritism and outright nepotism and other abuses and problems that abound. There are no apparent off-reserve problems as far as I know, like the reserve at the centre of this conflict.

This is not an indigenous problem. many people of any race or ethnicity, when provided with the bare necessities of life and no incentive to do better, such as many welfare recipients. Payments should not be clawed back dollar-for-dollar for money earned from employment, either, as there is no incentive to work if one ends up with the same amount of money.

People who work have much more self-esteem than those who do not, have more regard for the things that they can buy with earned income, more respect for the rights and property of others, and much less need to relieve their boredom by drinking heavily and harassing farmers or other productive people.

People need hope for better futures, preferably via their own efforts but with assistance when needed. The opposite is despair.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2018/02/15/patrick-brown-says-hes-suing-ctv-over-sexual-misconduct-allegations.html

Patrick Brown says he's suing CTV over sexual misconduct allegations - 15 Feb 18
'My lawyers are talking to CTV' former Ontario PC leader says in Facebook post.

Extract: “In the court of public opinion and among the many journalists I’ve spoken to, these allegations are now seen for what they are — fictitious and malicious,” the former Ontario PC leader posted Thursday on his Facebook page.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/02/15/rcmp-to-investigate-internal-facebook-post-that-said-colten-boushie-got-what-he-deserved.html

RCMP investigating post in officers’ Facebook group claiming Colten Boushie ‘got what he deserved’
- 15 Feb 18
Sources in an APTN report told the network the woman who made the post was an officer.

Extract: The RCMP told the Star that there are no officers with the name linked to the Facebook account, and didn’t confirm whether the woman worked as an officer under another name. Sources in an APTN report told the network the woman was an officer.

“Too bad the kid died but he got what he deserved. How many of us work on or near reserves and are getting fed up with the race card being used every time someone gets caught breaking the law?,” she said. The comment was posted in a Facebook group called “News Stories that Matter to or May Impact RCMP,” which has about 1,200 members.

(“Too bad the kid died but he got what he deserved. How many of us work on or near reserves and are getting fed up with the race card being used every time someone gets caught breaking the law?,” she said.

The comment was posted in a Facebook group called “News Stories that Matter to or May Impact RCMP,” which has about 1,200 members.

“Obviously, this remark is absolutely appalling and unacceptable,” Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said in a teleconference with journalists Thursday.  from the STAR)  What is appalling and unacceptable is the sad fact that it is true.  The kid had been getting away with it for years if news reports are to be believed.  Sadly this time it all caught up with him.  It is too bad he died but if it wasn't him and this time it would have been another next time.  And until Goodale is willing to face and address that sad truth, it will happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back