• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

'Poor planning' cost NORAD overhaul millions

navymich

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
1
Points
410
Poor planning' cost NORAD overhaul millions

Projected $93-million price tag jumps to $156-million for air-surveillance system originally slated for completion in 2001

GLORIA GALLOWAY

OTTAWA -- Updates to a NORAD radar system in Central Ontario will cost nearly twice as much as forecast, have been plagued by delays and have failed to produce any of the cost savings that defence officials had predicted.

The overhaul of the North American Aerospace Defence system in North Bay, which began more than a decade ago, was estimated in 1997 to cost $93-million and was to have been completed by 2001.

But Auditor-General Sheila Fraser said in a report yesterday that the final bill for the new air-surveillance system, and an above-ground building to house it, will be about $156-million. Because of poor security during construction of the new building, some of the system had to remain in the old underground facilities that have now been declared a heritage site.

The problems have been "poor planning, poor management," Ms. Fraser said at a news conference.

"The people working on the site did not have security clearances, the plans were available publicly and there was no control over access to the site as the construction was ongoing."

Canada and the United States agreed in 1985 to modernize the radar systems at North Bay and share the costs and the decision making. But by October, 1999, the United States halted the work, citing cost projections that were triple the original estimates.

Canada's Defence Department continued alone, arguing that the move to the new above-ground facility from a Cold War underground bunker would save about $16-million a year in operating costs and reduced personnel.

That plan was halted in 2004 when problems developed in the surveillance system being developed in Canada, and the U.S. asked the Canadian Forces to participate in the creation of another system it had been working on south of the border.

The Auditor-General found that decisions were made about the project without any real understanding of how the promised savings would be achieved and that the risks were not adequately portrayed to the decision makers.

The project would have been better managed if it had been designated early on as a large, high-risk project and subjected to more rigorous reporting to government, Ms. Fraser said.

The Defence Department suggested to the Treasury Board in 1998 that the reclassification would be helpful, but it did not happen. And when members of the auditor's staff asked Treasury Board officials for documents related to the decision, they were refused on the basis that it was a matter of cabinet confidence. Then they were told that working papers on the topic simply didn't exist.

Meanwhile, the Defence Department is proceeding with the modernization of its air-surveillance system without ever having an analysis of the risks and benefits - and without making provisions for major disruptions, the auditor said.

"National Defence intends to continue with upgrades to the new system," Ms. Fraser said. "But first it needs to resolve the problems we found in this audit. The government also needs to ensure that these large high-risk projects are subjected to better oversight."
 
But at least the article above knows the location of it, unlike the guy in this commentary:

Wed, May 2, 2007
What a waste
Military assault on taxpayers tops auditor general's quarterly list

By GREG WESTON

In today's episode of Generals in Wonderland, the genius brigade at National Defence is on a mission to modernize Canada's air defence system, a $156-million boondoggle that today is only about 100% over budget, eight years late -- and still isn't finished.

The U.S. military has a Star Wars program; Canada has Spaced Out.

This epic military assault on taxpayers is one of the more expensive bureaucratic snafus described in Auditor General Sheila Fraser's quarterly compendium of government waste, mismanagement and stupidity in high places.

Fraser's tale of fiscal woe begins in 1997 when the Canadian and U.S. defence departments agreed to upgrade the computer systems used by the two countries to monitor North American airspace as part of the 50-year-old NORAD agreement.

It must have seemed like a good idea at the time. Unfortunately, far from North American airspace being made safe from enemy missiles, most of what has been incoming on DND's radar for the past decade is bills.

In 1997, the Liberal government of the day approved total funding of $65 million for Canada's end of the deal, primarily modernizing technologies located at the NORAD tactical command centre in Sudbury, Ont.

Canadian defence officials pledged the project would be complete by 1999, and result in efficiencies that would save taxpayers $16 million annually.

But the auditor general reports within a year of the project launch, costs were already soaring and DND was getting its first warning signs the whole project itself could vanish in thin air.

As it is with all misguided government mega-projects, the solution to so much overspending on a risky proposition was to throw good money after bad. Lots of it.

In 1998, the Liberal government approved an additional $27.5 million, in part to relocate the Sudbury command centre from an underground bunker to a supposedly modest surface building.

The auditor general reports that the feds agreed to cough up more millions after the military brass promised the move would reap huge operational savings.

PIE IN THE AIRSPACE

Alas, it was all just more pie in the airspace. In February 1999, less than two years after the project started and only months from its originally scheduled completion date, National Defence was back.

Fraser reports the generals vowed that for only another lousy $36.7 million -- enough for a good start on a new hospital somewhere -- "the project would achieve operating capability."

Or not. Barely six months later, with the expected cost of the radar system having doubled from $65 million to over $130 million and nothing to show for it, the U.S. abandoned the project as a lost cause.

Undaunted, the Canadian military apparently decided the able cheque-writers at DND didn't need the U.S. to continue their long march into a sea of red ink.

In no time at all, the generals had convinced their evidently brain-dead Liberal masters to increase the budget yet again, this time to $143 million for a truly made-in-Canada solution -- adapting a European radar system to the then existing American-made NORAD technologies.

Three years and $50 million later, the second great Canadian radar project crashed and burned after the Americans began developing a whole new system of their own.

Once again, Canadian taxpayers had spent a fortune for nothing, integrating European technologies with an obsolete American system.

In the end, DND essentially bought a new system from the Americans for $13 million, and apparently it may actually be fully functional some day.

As for that money-saving move from the Sudbury bunker to a new above-ground facility, all is progressing pretty much as one would expect. Federal auditors report the initial $9 million pricetag for the building has passed $26 million, and still the new facility can't be fully occupied due to "flaws in security during construction."

Code red! Incoming bills at 12 o'clock!
 
Thats funny, ....pssst, hey Greg, when taking potshots at the "Generals in Wonderland", try having your own 'six' covered lest you appear to be a "Scribe in Enquirerland"..........
 
I used their report function to send them a blast of shyte.......
 
I am here in North Bay working on the new system now, it is awesome.  It works really well, miles ahead of what we had.  There were problems, the problems were political.  With the schedualled closing of the underground complex, 22 Wg North Bay should have been closed.  There is no need at all for this base.  The original plan was to relocate us to Winnipeg, in the 1 CAD building.  All we had to do was install te new BCS-F system in Winnipeg, when declared operational, we close North Bay and move west. 

That did not happen.  Instead, we decided at the political level to keep North Bay open, build a new buildling at great cost (there was already one in Winnipeg built) and keep a Wing here.  An unnessasary Wing, which menas an MIR, MP unit, BOR, CE, PSP, PMQs, BTransp, etc etc....  Furthur stretching scarce CF resources.....
 
Would have been a damned disaster if you had moved to YWG...i mean, what sense would it make to have the Ops center and the CANAR HQ in the same location !!!


[/rant]
 
At least the micro managers would be in the same room with us ;D ;D  By the way, we have been much better at talking to the CP140 gang with our new radio suite... :cdn: :cdn: :cheers:
 
Back
Top