• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Possible medical problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoKe

Inactive
Reaction score
When I was in my early teens, I was diagnosed with mononucleosis.  The recovery for this took a while, to the point where a year later I was still having problems.  I went to a pediatrician and he said that it's possible that I have chronic fatigue symptom, though I'm questioning it now.  I believe he came to that conclusion simply because my mother and grandmother have Fibromyalgia.

My question...if I can meet the requirements (19 pushups/situps, 2.4k run), and the time comes for my medical, so I even mention this?  I feel it would be an automatic fail, and I don't think that would be fair since I don't believe I really have CFS.

So, when the time comes, what should I do?

I'd appreciate any advice, as a long term career in the Army is something I've wanted for a long time.

LoKe said:
When I was in my early teens, I was diagnosed with mononucleosis.  The recovery for this took a while, to the point where a year later I was still having problems.  I went to a pediatrician and he said that it's possible that I have chronic fatigue symptom, though I'm questioning it now.  I believe he came to that conclusion simply because my mother and grandmother have Fibromyalgia.

My question...if I can meet the requirements (19 pushups/situps, 2.4k run), and the time comes for my medical, so I even mention this?  I feel it would be an automatic fail, and I don't think that would be fair since I don't believe I really have CFS.

So, when the time comes, what should I do?

I'd appreciate any advice, as a long term career in the Army is something I've wanted for a long time.

Read through this thread and you will find lots of information on the medical portion of your application.  When you do go in for your medical, do not lie or hold back any information.  The determination for whether you are medically fit for the position that you desire will be determined by the medical board not by the board here.  Good luck.

Absolutely do not lie or leave medical information out when you do your recruit medical.  BUT - be careful about offering something a doctor told you you "might" have if there was no diagnosis.  Now, chronic fatique syndrome is a toughie to diagnose, from what I understand, but still, if the doctor said once that you "may" have it, that's not a diagnosis, and if you're fine now, and otherwise healthy...?

My own experience - I was told when I was 12 that I "might" have asthma, and at that point I guess I stopped listening, while the doctor talked to my mom.  I told the MO on my recruit medical, and was rejected.  Told my mom I didn't get in and she told me that doctor never said I had asthma, but that I just had a bad year with my allergies (they're acutally very mild now that I'm all grown up)...Had to go through a whole big set of hoops to get in after that because of that one non-diagnosis.

Hey... tell the truth... You've HAD mono... that's no great secret... but you do not have it anymore.

"possible" chronic fatigue... hey it's possible (heck probable) that, at some time in the future, I will drop dead - but that hasn't happened and there is no medical information that can substantiate your or my surmise.
when he asks about family medical history - you an relate your family's medical baggage but, no tests have been done and the Doc shouldn't have suggested you have something if he has not conducted his assessment - it's irresponsible.

Don't wiothholdinformation on your medical. Past family history is exactly that and since you are completely syptom free and feel you are capable the go for it. Good Luck..... 8)

The only ones that can answer whether your medical condition will be acceptable or not are the CF Med athourities during the recruiting process. Do not lie during your application. Good luck.

Milnet.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back