• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Prince Harry arrives in Afghanistan to begin tour of duty

Brihard said:
in a situations that poses minimal risk to His Royal Hide.

This kind of "minimal risk" situations ?

HMS Sheffield
hms-sheffield.jpg

HMS Antelope
hms-antelope-006.jpg

HMS Ardent
Ardent.jpg

RFA Sir Galahad
WD4221990@Falklands-War.jpg

HMS Coventry
main.php

Phillip's ship HMS Kelly was dive bombed and sund fron under him...there is a pic floating around of a near own goal from the Falklands of Prince Andrew's helicopter nearly getting hit by a British SAM.  Just saying.

MM

Realistically, today, yes. The Falklands was an outlier.

Please don't mistake me for saying that the Navy is 'safe', because I know that's not true. I have immense respect for the Navy. I am, however, saying that in this day and age it is easy to perceive that for Royals wishing to serve in an operational role, the Navy is still the best bet from a 'least chance of immediate harm' point of view.

If you want to argue that I'm wrong in the contemporary setting I'm willing to discuss it. And I conceded already that in something like the Falklands things change dramatically- but that was then, and today they deal with today. And yes, this could also change on a moment's notice; say, for instance, Iran chooses to close Hormuz. But by and large I think I'm on track. There may also be a traditional part to play regarding the 'senior service', but I think it's more the former.

Am I wrong? I could well be, and I'm fine hearing that I am if so.

Lord Mountbatten lose his ship as well and was machine gunned in the water as well both that was total war against an enemy equipped to fight on the Oceans.

It was Mountbatten who was the captain of HMS Kelly, not his nephew, the present Duke of Edinburgh. The latter did see a lot of active service; his ribbons attest to that.

And King George VI, who at the time was not the man who would be king, fought at the Battle of Jutland.

Lt Wales is carrying on the family tradition. Note that the Royals do not avoid action, at least in part because of a sense of duty and in part because it would be difficult impossible for them to urge others to go in harms way if they would not.

fraserdw said:
Lord Mountbatten lose his ship as well and was machine gunned in the water as well both that was total war against an enemy equipped to fight on the Oceans.

I believe the above deserves an edit, into the English language.  :facepalm:

I like both the boys.  They're a credit to the Service and to their family.  Harry is lucky in that he can be a bit of a wild card and get away with things his big brother would/could not.  I hope that Harry has a good tour and takes care of business as a good Apache gunner should.  I too don't envy the paths that are set out for them in the public eye as a Royal.  It's nice being a nobody.

jollyjacktar said:
I like both the boys.  They're a credit to the Service and to their family.  Harry is lucky in that he can be a bit of a wild card and get away with things his big brother would/could not.  I hope that Harry has a good tour and takes care of business as a good Apache gunner should.  I too don't envy the paths that are set out for them in the public eye as a Royal.  It's nice being a nobody.

Yup... The imminent deployment sort of put things in Vegas into perspective, doesn't it?

Brihard said:
Yup... The imminent deployment sort of put things in Vegas into perspective, doesn't it?
I have no problem whatsoever with him letting his hair down like that, I'm with E.R. in that I wish it was me.  Perspective or otherwise.  Show's he's human and to some respect more in touch with the common man, which is something the Royals are as a rule sadly stick in the mud-ish about showing, if ever.

jollyjacktar said:
I have no problem whatsoever with him letting his hair down like that, I'm with E.R. in that I wish it was me.  Perspective or otherwise.  Show's he's human and to some respect more in touch with the common man, which is something the Royals are as a rule sadly stick in the mud-ish about showing, if ever.

Which was amply demonstrated by the "nude salute" campaign that ran, however briefly, on line. I hope the stuffy old farts in the Royal family, the government, the military and the commentariat took note: the "people" love him, he "connects," it's very valuable for the Royals, including his brother.

Brihard said:
Yeah - I'm sure he's the only Brit officer in his mid- to late-20's who's ever done anything goofy, right?  ;)

That said, nothing like a few extras to keep him in the realm of the other junior officers  ;D

I'm quite sure his mates in Afghanistan will give him a warm welcome and some good ribbing....he'll probably find poker chips in his bed sheets the first night or something like that.  ;D

RDJP said:
I believe the above deserves an edit, into the English language.  :facepalm:

Haha... I was tired last night!  Let's see.....

Lord Mountbatten lost his ship as well and was machine-gunned in the water by the Luftwaffe before rescue.  But that was total war against an enemy equipped to fight on the Oceans.  Had the Germans had surface units there, they would have have quite a Royal prize in having a important Royal POW.

fraserdw said:

Technically Lord Mountbatten lost 2 vessels at sea that were sunk from under him...the second one, a yacht, was bombed by the IRA and resulted in his death.

MM

Well, that certainly didn't take long.  Details here shared with the usual disclaimers.

Journeyman said:
Ooohhh....a Taliban threat.  :boring:

Shooting at an Apache only accomplishes one thing.  It makes it easier for the Apache crew to find their next target.

Back