• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Prince Harry arrives in Afghanistan to begin tour of duty

I still don't envy the Captain.  Sure he's in an Apache, sure he's well protected.

But how many officers go to sleep at night knowing that they've made bigger targets out of everyone around them, simply because of who they are?

I give him a lot of respect.

RDJP,  how exactly does he make everyone a bigger target?

Not sure if your "I give him a lot of respect" is sincere, or sarcasim givin the above sentence.

-Skeletor- said:
RDJP,  how exactly does he make everyone a bigger target?

Not sure if your "I give him a lot of respect" is sincere, or sarcasim givin the above sentence.

Sincere, not sarcastic.  And how would the Taliban trying to specifically attack him, not make the others around him more likely to be targeted as well? I suppose it might be possible that they could pull off some kind of surgical strike, but I would think that they'd try something more general that would affect others around him as well.

Kudos up to Prince Harry  :salute:.

RDJP, is correct when he speaks about the increased danger Prince Harry's deployment, or any senior military personnel/ diplomat/ celebrity puts on those around them. These are not my words - http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2007-04-30-harry_N.htm

A while ago, I had heard of a British general. I've tried finding it on youtube, but haven't been successful. This officer categorically stated that it was not an easy decision to put the lives of so many soldiers in danger, including the Prince.

Just more or less picking at the wording "bigger target"  IMO it just sounds weird. 

Yes the chances of increased attacks against British forces is there,  but it's not like they will ignore the Americans in Helmand and focus solely on the British.  As for Taliban threats saying they will kill/capture him,  well Taliban threats are nothing new...  There may or may not be more focus on trying to shoot at Apaches,  but that could just as easily end up as more dead insurgents.  Also,  I wouldn't doubt that security/restricted areas in Camp Bastion may or may not be put in place to ensure his(and others) safety there.

-Skeletor- said:
Just more or less picking at the wording "bigger target"  IMO it just sounds weird. 

Yeah, it was a little awkward....should have worded it differently.  :nod:

Yes the chances of increased attacks against British forces is there,  but it's not like they will ignore the Americans in Helmand and focus solely on the British.  As for Taliban threats saying they will kill/capture him,  well Taliban threats are nothing new...  There may or may not be more focus on trying to shoot at Apaches,  but that could just as easily end up as more dead insurgents.  Also,  I wouldn't doubt that security/restricted areas in Camp Bastion may or may not be put in place to ensure his(and others) safety there.

True, but it also depends on what kind of "reward" they can convince some idiot radical to take a shot at him with.  I don't underestimate the stupidity of some of these people.

I can bet that any and every two-bit Jihadee is going to get himself an RPG or a heavy caliber rifle to try and take a shot at any appache. The arms makers at Darra Adam Khel are sure going to be earning some good coin. These are just my guesses.

Allgunzblazing said:
I can bet that any and every two-bit Jihadee is going to get himself an RPG or a heavy caliber rifle to try and take a shot at any appache. The arms makers at Darra Adam Khel are sure going to be earning some good coin. These are just my guesses.

Yes, but as Haggis said, that also makes target acquisition a bit easier for the Apache front seater.

E.R. Campbell said:
Yes, but as Haggis said, that also makes target acquisition a bit easier for the Apache front seater.

Not an issue when you're promised the 70 virgins, right? Keep that in mind.

E.R. Campbell said:

And its Number 2.

And the Reaper overhead.

And...

RDJP said:
Not an issue when you're promised the 70 virgins, right? Keep that in mind.

Some how I suspect the virgins that are waiting for Jihad Joe are a little less enticing than the gals (not necessarily virgins, I hasten to add) with whom Harry cavorted in Vegas.

HelenThomas72Virgins.jpg

6a00d8341c565553ef017c316a19bf970b-800wi

Harry and one of his not so virginal friends

Back