• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Promotions in the CAF [Merged]

George Wallace said:
Now, remember, as a Reservist, you will not find a Pte who will qualify to be employed as Class B and paid for 365 days in a year.  It is only a hypothetical example.

When you have passed through BMQ, SQ and Trades Training you may be lucky to be employed as Class B, but in all likelihood you will be a Cpl or higher by that time.  It would be exceptionally rare to see a Pte so employed.

Just wondering why you can't see a trade qualified pte/cpl working class b 1 year or more??  you see this quite often in the Naval and Air Reserves...quite common to see pers getting class B contracts for 1-3 years with possibility to extend...is hits not possible to work full time in the Militia?

Class B contracts are not that easy to come by in my Squadron.

Aside from positions specifically designated as Class B ones (we are a "Reserve-Heavy Unit"), there has to be an operational requirement.

We operate throughout the week as well as several weekends each month, so there is a greater requirement for both Class B and Class A employment than ground-bound units. Fourteen days of Class A employment per month is available as the norm, and the CO will authorize a few more if needed. We expect a greater commitment from our Class A people because of the workload and currency requirements for aircrew and techs.

There are also no reserve courses for our people. Everybody is qualified to the same level as regular force personnel.

You're speaking of the Air reserves it sounds like, and well honestly, they are in their own space, i've talked to pers from that area before, and I know of only 1 Unit (in Truro, NS) that hire off Civvi street, all the other units i've spoken to, only hire prior reg force QL3 trained pers.

So all the Reserve branches run their house differently...I know in the NavRes...I have many friends who have been working full time, Class B, since they got down their 3's 2-3 years ago, and not only speaking of ship posn, shore duties too, especially easy for the RMS and bosn to get contracts...but I haven't heard of many people being denied a contract, that is very surprising that the other reserve forces don't offer that much.

I was just wondering if someone could interpret the following information for me from a promotion message.

Ref E: CBI 204.52 Table B

Para 5. IPC IAW REF E, Pay level B

I have tried doing a search but the only thing I was able to come up with is that CBI 204.52 means pay for officers.

CBI 204.52

Reading through Ref E from your promotion message (linked above) it states that Table B is for "general service officers other then pilot" which you would be as a Mars Officer.  Reading through Table B, you will notice that the ranks are broken down with A, B and C.  As per Para 5 of your promotion message, your pay level is B.  Follow that across and you will see your corresponding pay.

Reading this pay chart (note the disclaimer on the bottom of the page that it is for information only) you will see a better breakdown of the pay levels and that it indicates the reasoning for each level based on entry.  Level B being "OCTP-NFS" (Officer Candidate Training Plan and I assume that NFS is 'no former service')

I did enjoy reading theis and EITS's meticulous knowledge of the manuals.  I was in another boat as I was promoted late, as were a few of my friends, RETROACTIVE PAY is always nice.  I could see wanting to be promoted before a tour as the money can be a lot better at certain ranks.  I lucked out there. 

I know of Cpl's promoted to MCpl (yes I know its an appointment), but have never seen any other cases.  It would be nice if there were more deserving pers out there that could be promoted for their excellence......It would be nice.

I just would like to add that the popular belief that a member cannot be nominated for accelated promotion more than once is incorrect. CFAO 49-4 states that one cannot be accelerated promote through successive ranks or to the same rank twice.

I have a quick two part question for the medical technicians on board here. I see no need to beat around the bush, or be politically correct – so, I will be blunt.

1) What is the promotion rate like in the med tech trade? I know that it depends on the person, their abilities, attitude, etc.. but some trades are known to promote slowly (e.g. artillery officer). What can one expect to be by the time they complete their training.
2) In extension. What is the average pay of a fully qualified med tech?

I ask the above questions because I have been considering the med tech field but want to make sure that when I sign my life away for 6 years it is a well informed decision. The prospect of making under 50, 000 for the rest of my life is not all that appealing – especially considering I just finished a science degree at university.

Taking a wild guess, from knowing a Med Tech or two, I would say you would probably be lucky to be a MCpl, perhaps a brand new Sgt if you were extremely lucky, in six years.

I agree with George, six years to MCpl.  Sgt in six years would be extremely rare.  They are working on spec pay for Med Techs but it hasn't been approved yet.

If you have a degree, there is always the option of going officer but the promotion rate is probably possibly worse.

MCpl in six years (3 as Pte, 3 as Cpl) would make you lucky...but in 12 you can make WO. There are many whom are currently doing it. It will be even easier in 3-7 yrs when they pull PA WOs and make them all Capts.

As for the pay and stuff...well, what can I say:

They have been promising Spec pay for Med Techs for 20 yrs.... Its coming, with the cheque thats in the mail. Besides, if you are worried about how much you can earn, go work for GMC, I hear they pay their workers real well. Funny, I don't see many soldiers getting laid off, nor many retired ones losing their pensions or retirement benefits...

And a nice tidbit, which you are probably too late for, the PA program is now a BSc program (Cha-ching).

So employment opportunities in the civilian world never look so bright for military PAs which means more openings for promoting the jrs once we old farts get out after our oblig service.

SFB - I must confess that I am unaware of that program. I am guessing it is the physicians assistant program? The curriculum says that it is based on the QL3s and 5s of the med tech. Do you need to first serve as a med tech in order to enlist in the program?

PMedMoe - by going officer, you mean in general right (i.e. artillery, etc)? I did not know there was an officer option for the med techs (aside from military doctors).

*edit: Let me ask you guys a very personal question (if a new topic is needed for such a question, let me know). According to the forces pay scale, a corporal makes 50,000. Can you as a single person live comfortably on that salary? By comfortable I don't mean a lavish life, but rather a self sufficient one where you have a small place of your own (not a bunker), and you are not strapped to pay your monthly expenses - in other words not having to succomb to a spartan lifestyle.

I ask only because you know firsthand the military lifestyle. This weighs heavily on the decision because where i went to school, in Waterloo (where i got my Bsc in Organic Chemistry), I would not be able to live off such a salary cause of the cost of living.

dantheman

Have you looked at the newspaper at all, when the topic of "Cost of Living" or "what the 'Poverty Line' is" is being mentioned?  You will see that CF wages at all levels are well above the 'Poverty Line'.

For "medical" officer trades, there is also HCA (Health Care Administration).

Live comfortably on $50,000?  Yes, of course you can.

dantheman said:
SFB - I must confess that I am unaware of that program. I am guessing it is the physicians assistant program? The curriculum says that it is based on the QL3s and 5s of the med tech. Do you need to first serve as a med tech in order to enlist in the program?

Currently you must be a Sgt Med Tech merit listed for promotion to WO as graduation is tied to promotion to that rank.

dantheman said:

PMedMoe - by going officer, you mean in general right (i.e. artillery, etc)? I did not know there was an officer option for the med techs (aside from military doctors).

*edit: Let me ask you guys a very personal question (if a new topic is needed for such a question, let me know). According to the forces pay scale, a corporal makes 50,000. Can you as a single person live comfortably on that salary? By comfortable I don't mean a lavish life, but rather a self sufficient one where you have a small place of your own (not a bunker), and you are not strapped to pay your monthly expenses - in other words not having to succomb to a spartan lifestyle.

I ask only because you know firsthand the military lifestyle. This weighs heavily on the decision because where i went to school, in Waterloo (where i got my Bsc in Organic Chemistry), I would not be able to live off such a salary cause of the cost of living.

There is a VERY long thread in the recruiting forums, entitled entering the CF and your money, i suggest you read that.

Hatchet Man's advice is good.

I might know something about said thread ;) , here is a link:

http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/26093/post-158506.html#msg158506

Can someone (probably a fin clerk) explain to me the following? If you could include an example it would be appreciated. Thanks

204.075 – RATE OF PAY ON PROMOTION –RETROACTIVE PAY INCREASE

When an officer or non-commissioned member has been promoted, and a revision of the rate of pay established in the CBI that applies to the member is approved after the date on which the member was promoted, as a result of which payment of the revised rate of pay for the member’s new rank and pay increment and, if applicable, pay level and trade group is to commence prior to the date of the member’s promotion, the member shall be paid from the date of the promotion at the rate of pay that is determined by the application of the CBI that determine the member’s rate of pay on promotion, as if the revised rates of pay had been approved prior to the date of the promotion.

Back