• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Protesting while serving

Status
Not open for further replies.
"anti-war, anti-globalization, feminist, and such groups, helping organize, marshal, and participate protests and marches. Overtime, I tone it down and limited to events I care about, as well to focus on other things in life. Even with the other interests and groups which I am still involved in, just seem huge contrast to even consider military. At one point I even considered applying for Ottawa Police, whom I have interesting relations  with (go against officers during a protest one day, and then work with the police the next day about something else)."

So you stopped being involved in anti-war anti-globalization groups and no longer "go against offciers during a protest?"

SupersonicMax said:
My question is what do these "peaceful protesters" have against the police?  If they are truely there for a peaceful demonstration, then they should have no problem with anyone involved talking to the police.  If they were "violent" demonstrators, then they should well be put away...

Distrust, paranoia, us versus them mentality, fear, police brutality, and such. One does not need to be a violent protester to feel that way, nor a protester in general even. 

mellian said:
Distrust, paranoia, us versus them mentality, fear, police brutality, and such. One does not need to be a violent protester to feel that way, nor a protester in general even.

If they are peaceful they should have no problem understanding that the police is not out to get them, but the "violent" ones.

If they are not able to understand that, are they even able to understand why they protest?

SupersonicMax said:
If they are peaceful they should have no problem understanding that the police is not out to get them, but the "violent" ones.

If they are not able to understand that, are they even able to understand why they protest?

Many fear of getting arrested simply for protesting, despite being guaranteed by the charter.

Many fear of getting arrested simply for protesting, despite being guaranteed by the charter.

They fear the police making illegal arrests?

So there is a paranoid, belligerent attitude toward the security forces before the marching even starts? I can see now where the escalation is the police's fault, completely.

X-mo-1979 said:
So you stopped being involved in anti-war anti-globalization groups and no longer "go against offciers during a protest?"

Yes, stopped being involved in groups specifically and mandated as being against war and globalization.

As for "go against offciers during a protest?", that depends on how one considers a protest and going up against a police officer, but in my opinion, no.

Wonderbread said:
They fear the police making illegal arrests?

Yes, just getting arrested in general, for various reasons. A lot of people are and do get intimidated by police officers. I am no exception sometimes, and fear can lead to anger.

Kat Stevens said:
So there is a paranoid, belligerent attitude toward the security forces before the marching even starts? I can see now where the escalation is the police's fault, completely.

All in riot gear, some have dogs, toting guns (rubber/plastic/bean bag/etc), and then have entire rows of them, ready to act at any moment, and then use intimidation and isolation tactics. You are bound to make the fear worse, and for a lot of people, fear can become anger. Also makes it to easy for some charismatic few to take advantage of. 

Perhaps, if one is afraid of the police before the protest even begins, one should, oh I dunno, avoid being in front of those fascist pig dogs in the first place, neh?

Kat Stevens said:
Perhaps, if one is afraid of the police before the protest even begins, one should, oh I dunno, avoid being in front of those fascist pig dogs in the first place, neh?

Yet in society, we promote confronting our fears.

If confronting your fears means becoming angry and violent, then this is not what society promotes, don't your think?

Then one shouldn't be surprised if you step out of line that your fear sticks his baton up your jacksie.  I can do this all night if you like.

The "correct" response is not fear, it is prudence: a sensible avoidance of acts which might require the police to use their power and force.

mellian said:
Yes, just getting arrested in general, for various reasons. A lot of people are and do get intimidated by police officers. I am no exception sometimes, and fear can lead to anger.

All in riot gear, some have dogs, toting guns (rubber/plastic/bean bag/etc), and then have entire rows of them, ready to act at any moment, and then use intimidation and isolation tactics. You are bound to make the fear worse, and for a lot of people, fear can become anger. Also makes it to easy for some charismatic few to take advantage of.

Well if you don't like intimidation tactics why would you bother joining Armd?you do realize to complete missions we have to use up to deadly force on people right?You realize that means looking into a site and saying firing now and turning people (yes real live people)into a pile of body parts.Do you realize that as a armd soldier I have done Riot control at protests in Bosnia right?You realize that if your sitting at a VCP you can't be nice to everyone right?You realize  having a professional stance (sometimes which involves being suspicious of people and not friendly...as you cant trust anyone).How would you feel about firing warning shots at people who's only crime is driving fast at your VCP?The military isnt a feel good peace loving place.It's real.You will have people hauled out of vehicles and using "positive control" handle them,there will be no place for feelings or debates if there are good or bad.If there is people can get injured or die.Like the police on the streets that allow peaceful protests you'll be involved,you will be under a mandate to do something.And as a soldier you do what is legally within your ROE to control the scene.If thats shooting someone,beating a resistant person until you can detain them you do it.

I will welcome the day that you as a trooper tell your Warrant that your not grabbing a person because you didnt see them doing something.Or questioning a fire order from your C/C who just saw a guy fire a RPG at your vehicle..but you didnt see it.

Welcome to the real world of being in the military.I think you may what to re evaluate going Armd.If you have any questions about the trade feel free to PM me.However from what I have seen you post here,I think you may have issues about some of the stuff we do.

I know this step's out of the boundary of riot's and protest.However I really think you should have a look at the trades you are getting into first.

I've read through all nine pages of this drivel. You'll all have to agree to disagree.

What I see are a bunch of people, experienced in the art of riot\ protest control with tons of real world experiance trying to convince a young person of no worldly knowledge arguing black is white because she can't accept any reasoning except her own narrow view of things.

Everything that needed saying was said dozens of times. It's just circling the drain now.

We're not having any more of it.

Everyone go have a turkey sandwich and relax.

Milnet.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back