• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Proudnewfoundlander's tangent, aplit from Re: Capt. Robert Semrau Charged With Murder in Afghanistan

ProudNewfoundlander

Inactive
Reaction score
His mistake was getting caught. He shot a taliban fighter who was going to die regardless.

I've never been overseas with the military or in the military at all, but I have to believe this type of thing has happened at least a few times on both sides. There are probably at least Several people like Semrau who never got caught

ProudNewfoundlander said:
His mistake was getting caught. He shot a taliban fighter who was going to die regardless.

I've never been overseas with the military or in the military at all, but I have to believe this type of thing has happened at least a few times on both sides. There are probably at least Several people like Semrau who never got caught

You registered just to say that?

Accusing his behavior as something common in the military?

That's like saying "I am sure there are plenty more of Russel Williams in the Canadian Forces."

I find your post insulting.

His mistake was getting caught.
While you've stated that your opinion is completely uninformed, the media may ignore that fact when citing you as an as an example of how those army people think it's OK to shoot wounded combatants.

What Semrau did has been judged legally wrong, and he is paying the penalty awarded by the court. I suspect that he will carry this burden forever.

Personally, I hope that he considers re-enrolling since his sentence would allow for it and his record to date indicates he was an excellent soldier notwithstanding this one lapse of judgement.

SevenSixTwo said:

That's like saying "I am sure there are plenty more of Russel Williams in the Canadian Forces."

Umm, NO, I registered and this thread was the most recently commented on, and I just a news bulletin for it.

This type of thing is common in any combat environment, and in every war. Americans, Germans, Brits, and Canadians have gotten in trouble for it. In this war and past. But as for my opinion, I really couldn't care less whether he shot and killed a Taliban

SevenSixTwo said:

But my dad who was in the Canadian Forces for 38 years says it happens sometimes, and he personally desrcibed Sengrau's sentence as a "travesty"

What Colonel Williams did was entirely different. Dont even compare that, and I find that comparison insulting

Umm, NO, I registered and this thread was the most recently commented on, and I just a news bulletin for it.

This type of thing is common in any combat environment, and in every war. Americans, Germans, Brits, and Canadians have gotten in trouble for it. In this war and past. But as for my opinion, I really couldn't care less whether he shot and killed a Taliban

You may not care, but we in the CF have to. It is our duty to uphold the laws of Canada and the laws applicable to warfare - it is an inherent part of our service in the Canadian Forces.

But my dad who was in the Canadian Forces for 38 years says it happens sometimes, and he personally described Sengrau's sentence as a "travesty"

What Colonel Williams did was entirely different. Dont even compare that, and I find that comparison insulting

Regardless of your father's prior service - that is his opinion and he is entitled to one. As are you.

As for us, it is our duty - again - while serving, to uphold those laws. When we who are serving do not uphold those laws, we can expect disciplinary action to be taken (and know that it will be taken ... this is not a surprise) and, upon conviction, punishment to be meted out as the courts find appropriate. Now, it has been in this case.

I find your suggestion that situations such as this are commonplace, routine and covered up to be quite insulting ... please don't bother. And, stick to the areas you have professed knowledge in; you don't qualify in this area of what is common or routine during peace or war as per your own prior statement to that effect.

But my dad who was in the Canadian Forces for 38 years says it happens sometimes ...

I had about the same length of service as you father - a good deal of it overseas and some with other armies. I say it did not happen - if it had it would have been far too hard to cover up - and, in the very, very rare event that it might have happened somewhere, then, in the armies with which I am familiar, the situation would have been handled roughly as it was here.

Capt Semrau's situation is unfortunate for him and for the CF; I'm sure both will learn from it and both will get over it, too.

I disagree with you, his mistake was not getting caught, his mistake was being a man of compassion. His mistake was releasing a man from agony and pain. It doesn't matter whether the man was an enemy or not, we Canadians do not kill wounded. Historically in the attack we would leave our own wounded to be picked up by us afterwards but not every army would pick up or even be able to pick up their wounded.

I think Capt. Semrau is a man of compassion but we do not kill wounded for any reason.

ArmyVern said:
You may not care, but we in the CF have to. It is our duty to uphold the laws of Canada and the laws applicable to warfare - it is an inherent part of our service in the Canadian Forces.

Regardless of your father's prior service - that is his opinion and he is entitled to one. As are you.

As for us, it is our duty - again - while serving, to uphold those laws. When we who are serving do not uphold those laws, we can expect disciplinary action to be taken (and know that it will be taken ... this is not a surprise) and, upon conviction, punishment to be meted out as the courts find appropriate. Now, it has been in this case.

I find your suggestion that situations such as this are commonplace, routine and covered up to be quite insulting ... please don't bother. And, stick to the areas you have professed knowledge in; you don't qualify in this area of what is common or routine during peace or war as per your own prior statement to that effect.

Umm, again, umm, NO, I said it may have happened a few times, which is totally conceivable. I did not say it was commonplace, nor that there was a somewhat substantial effort to cover up.

Umm, again, umm, NO, I said it may have happened a few times,

No, actually you said:
This type of thing is common in any combat environment, and in every war.
Quit while you're ahead.

Journeyman said:
No, actually you said:Quit while you're ahead.

Actually, no, you're wrong. From what I referred to in one post was specifically in regard to the Canadian Forces. The other comment was in regard to all parties involved, and of combat in general.

Actually, no, you're wrong. From what I referred to in one post was specifically in regard to the Canadian Forces. The other comment was in regard to all parties involved, and of combat in general.

Welcome to Army.ca, I hope you enjoy your stay!

No, your words again ...

Your comment was inclusive of ALL wars in ALL combat enviornments and inclusive of many nations. Canada was not "seperate" from the others, nor was any "CF" comment by you. And, irregardless of whether "Canada" or the "CF" was seperated or not ... your statement is still bullshit and WELL outside of your lanes.

It's insulting. To me. To others in the CF ... and to all professional soldiers who have served in those nations you prattled on about with absolutely no clue.

Take your big, fat tar brush and uninformed opinion elsewhere ... please.

facepalm2.jpg

Ok while I doubt this thread will be here much longer before it's locked and/or deleted for the obvious reasons, I'll at least go  through the motions.

Proudnewfoundlander. You had to read and agree to certain site guidelines when you registered, I strongly suggest you go back and review them. Most important is the whole idea of staying in your lanes. You are certainly entitled to express your point of view, but as you've pointed out you have zero military experience so keep that in mind, before you hit post. As for the rest remember the  bigger the dogpile the sooner this one goes in the circular filing cabinet.

STAFF

Back