• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Public Service Health Care Plan PSHCP [Merged]

Im talking specifically Regular Force members. In class that wasnt already evident.

If I understand what you're asking, then yes, the CF pays that for you.  I believe you can change the coverage, but the extra cost is yours.  Claiming insurance as a medical expense?  Not sure that's allowed.....

https://turbotax.community.turbotaxonline.ca/post/show_full/cVG2aitH8r4ANUeJfaad02

This is the reference Ive found.

Didnt consider it as definitive reference, just a signal flare. Ill look into that one thanks!

Everyone is filing taxes right now; figured this must have wrung a bell with someone. I know I didnt claim it.

Employer-paid premiums are not claimable unless they are included in your taxable income. 

However, I believe premiums paid by an individual are claimable as medical expenses, provided the total medical expenses exceed the minimum thresholds.  For CF members, basic PSHCP premiums are employer-paid and not included in your taxable income.  If you opt for the top level of coverage, it's about $10 or so per month.

Awesome. Thats the answer I thought it was and thats what I was looking for. Appreciate the help guys!

$4 I believe is what I pay for the top up and IIRC the top up is specifically for the Lvl 3 hospital stage coverage "stuff".  Private room, belly dancers, etc.

I think if that's your only medical expense, you're not going to see a difference if you claim it (if you're above the amounts quoted) on your taxes.  :dunno:

Eye In The Sky said:
$4 I believe is what I pay for the top up and IIRC the top up is specifically for the Lvl 3 hospital stage coverage "stuff".  Private room, belly dancers, etc.
I pay $132 a month for 3 for level 3 care. Still dosen't get me a Semi Pvt in Toronto, but does in Wawa. but I am a Class A CIC. so I f I get that right I can claim it?

my72jeep said:
I pay $132 a month for 3 for level 3 care. Still dosen't get me a Semi Pvt in Toronto, but does in Wawa. but I am a Class A CIC. so I f I get that right I can claim it?

Yes I would certainly say you can claim that fully as a medical expense.  But I believe the last time I tried claiming medical expenses, you only get 17% of it in the end of the calculations.  But every little bit helps though.

I was recently hospitalized, 5 surgeries over 2.5 years.  On one of my visits, my wonderful nurse told me a story.  She's married to a Fed gov't employee who has PSHCP.  I had inquired about getting a semi-private room, using my wife's insurance.  She told me that all hospitals, at least in NB, only "issue" S-P and private rooms based on medical need.  They do not keep rooms open waiting for better paying guests.  She also suggested I lower my PSHCP to the basic level as its a waste of money to pay more.  Now I can't speak to other provinces, but I suspect its probably similar.

bigcletus said:
I was recently hospitalized, 5 surgeries over 2.5 years.  On one of my visits, my wonderful nurse told me a story.  She's married to a Fed gov't employee who has PSHCP.  I had inquired about getting a semi-private room, using my wife's insurance.  She told me that all hospitals, at least in NB, only "issue" S-P and private rooms based on medical need.  They do not keep rooms open waiting for better paying guests.  She also suggested I lower my PSHCP to the basic level as its a waste of money to pay more.  Now I can't speak to other provinces, but I suspect its probably similar.
Mount Sini will go out of its way to put you in a semi $450/day or a Pvt $500/day Or if your in a pvt due to medical reasons and not paying for it, they will move you out with in an hour of your statis change. but first some one from accounting will visit to see if you want to fork over the money to keep it.
I pay the extra $10 a month for level 3 as it payes up to $375/400 day so the remander on my Visa for a pvt is not so bad, done the ward thing never again.

With all those "other" boxes available at the bottom of the T4, it would be nice if PSHCP premium payments were presented as Box 85.

Your total expenses still have to exceed the minimum threshold of either 3% of your net income or $2,024, whichever is less. So, based on the numbers being tossed around above, isn't it a moot point?

By itself, yes.  Added with other medical expenses, maybe not.

Canada Revenue Agency - medical expenses

As well:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/330/ntllwbl-eng.html

Which medical expenses are not eligible?

There are a number of expenses that are commonly claimed as medical expenses in error. The expenses you cannot claim include the following:

•athletic or fitness club fees;
•birth control devices (non-prescription);
•blood pressure monitors;
•cosmetic surgery - expenses for purely cosmetic procedures including any related services and other expenses such as travel, incurred after March 4, 2010,cannot be claimed as medical expenses. Both surgical and non-surgical procedures purely aimed at enhancing one's appearance are not eligible. These non-eligible expenses include the following:
◦liposuction;
◦hair replacement procedures;
◦filler injections (for removal of wrinkles);
◦teeth whitening.

An expense, including those identified above, may qualify as a medical expense if it is necessary for medical or reconstructive purposes, such as surgery to address a deformity related to a congenital abnormality, a personal injury resulting from an accident or trauma, or a disfiguring disease.
•diaper services;
•health plan premiums paid by an employer and not included in your income;
•health programs;
•organic food;
•over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements, even if prescribed by a medical practitioner;
•personal response systems such as Lifeline and Health Line Services;
•the following provincial and territorial plans:
◦Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan
◦Manitoba Health Plan
◦Medical Services Plan of British Columbia
◦New Brunswick Medicare Division of Provincial Department of Health
◦Newfoundland Medical Care Plan
◦Northwest Territories Health Insurance Services Agency of Territorial Government
◦Nova Scotia Medical Services Insurance
◦Ontario Health Insurance Plan
◦Prince Edward Island Health Services Payment Plan
◦Quebec Health Insurance Board (including payments made to the Health Services Fund)
◦Saskatchewan Medical Care Insurance Plan
◦Yukon Territorial Insurance Commission; or
•travel expenses for which you can get reimbursed.

A few comments on the topic:

1. You can claim what you pay in medical insurance premiums but not the employers share. For the regular force the employer covers the full cost of basic coverage so you would only be able to claim anything you pay for extra coverage which currently maxes out at about $5.00/month I believe. Reservists and Pensioners pay a much higher portion of PSHCP depending on level of coverage, family situation and class/duration of service (for reservists) so they would be able to claim these amounts.

2. As noted by others there is a 3% of net income threshold that must be reached before medical expenses are of any benefit on your taxes. For example a single member with $70K in net income would have to exceed $2100 in medical expenses before there would be any tax benefit, unlikely for a single member. However PSHCP has a co-pay and coverage limitations so a married/common law member might reach this level especially if a dependant has significant medical issues.

3. The combined medical expenses for the entire family (spouses/minor children) may be claimed by either partner in married/common law relationships. A single parent with $70K and medical expenses of $1600 would see no tax benefit. However if he/she was married or common law and the partner had $20Kin net income then the lower income partner could claim $1000 (1600 - [3% of 20K]) medical expenses and save $180-$240 on their taxes depending on province of residence.

4. The Harper government is in the process of tripling PSHCP premiums for pensioners. For single level 1 coverage the cost will go from $21.78 to about $65.00 per month. Combined with co-pays and coverage limitations this will put more pensioners over the 3% threshold for medical expenses.

5. Neither pay offices for current members nor PWGSC for pensioners includes health insurance premiums on T4/T4A slips even though the slips have boxes for these entries. CRA will not accept pay/pension statements as proof of the expense. If you wish to claim these amounts you should get a statement from your pay office or PWGSC as applicable stating how much you paid.

6. For retired members who pay premiums for the Pensioners Dental Service Plan (PDSP), these are also claimable as a medical expenses and PWGSC will include on a statement with your PSHCP premiums if you ask for them both.

Do you guys know if a service for a child like Registered Clinic Counsellor would be covered under Sun Life or whomever we use for coverage? I'm not sure who to contact to look into this.

Back