• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PugilSticks

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are Infantry you do it on your Basic Infantry Course, I do not know if other trades do it.

Mosher said:
THAT IS AWESOME!!!

Now, how about posting your research for the others that don't know. Don't forget to post your links also.

recceguy said:
Now, how about posting your research for the others that don't know. Don't forget to post your links also.

Don't be lazy, search for it yourself........  ;D

"What is it exactly??"

Here you go gents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFcjLZ2e3oo&feature=related

SoldierInTheMaking said:
That looks pretty fun!
After you have done it, let us know if you still think it is fun.  When you do it 2 minutes seems like an eternity.

I thought that was a USMC thing, I'm rather ecstatic that we use it as well.

Although, I've had my back against the wall before and yeah I can understand that 2 minutes of that would last forever.

dangerboy said:
After you have done it, let us know if you still think it is fun.  When you do it 2 minutes seems like an eternity.

A whole lot of padding on those sticks now.....ours looked like Qtips with boxing gloves and helmet. Good bayonet/rifle fight training.....and yeah, 2 minutes is a looong time.... ;D

dangerboy said:

I've been boxing for some time now so I don't think it will be too big of a problem, but I agree with you amateur boxing does 2 minute rounds and it does feel like a lot longer but I can handle it.

It was my favourite part of CQC week.  I never could quite get the order of all the combos, so the pugil stick "ring" was great.  You do what you have to and make up your own combinations along the way.  Even with all the padding on the qtips, you can still get knocked pretty hard.  More than a few people have been to the MIR with concussions and loss of consciousness.

More to add:  The video is kind of similar to BIQ.  We don't have all that padding on the pugil sticks.  Personal protection is similar, but we use hockey helmets.  Reading the comments on the video were disappointing.  Finished after a kill move?  We kept going for the full 2 minutes, and if the instructors didn't think you were doing a good enough job, time would stop or wouldn't start at all until they saw some proper technique and aggression.

I agree with soldier, i train mma and we go 5 minute rounds back to back to back hitting the thai pads doing combos over and over. Time does go slower but won't be much of a problem.

But also if your having fun, time will go faster then if you are dredding it!

:eek:

Well this is a great dialogue, and it sounds like you guys can't wait to prove yourselves in the ring, and I'm excited for you,  we still don't know if this is a skill they practice at BMQ or SQ, or is it a rite of passage only available to infantry trainees?

Just my opinion, but i would think it would be for all trades do to the fact that everyone should be trained in case a war breaks out. If they allow all trades to fire a weapon at BMQ i would think the pugilsticks would be included. I'm guessing it's a BMQ thing as firing a weapon and bayonet training are kind of hand in hand.
But again this is just my opinion, I have no idea.

Because the infantry role is to "close with and destroy the enemy," it's only mandatory within the infantry training syllabus.

Other arms may train with pugil sticks, at the discretion of the directing staff, or as part of unit PT, but it's not part of their official training.

(I believe non-infantry are limited to pillow fights  >:D  )

SoldierInTheMaking said:
Yea I was always told it was an infantry thing done in your BIQ training.

We did them on my field engineer QL3 so i doubt that the infantry has a monopoly on this type of training.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back