• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pushups- Try Reading Here First- Merged Thread

Everyday i continue to try to increase my push ups. I actually ENJOY doing them now.

Now that they are easier it feels good seeing how easy it is when i go up and down.

I don't plan to stop anytime soon.

It just goes to show that it does work, and if you are dedicated, in the end you will notice the big difference.

:salute:

I just applied today, I was wondering what the exact proper form is.  How much space between your hands?

Nevermind found it.

http://www.recruiting.forces.ca/engraph/howtojoin/fitness_eval_e.aspx?bhcp=1  :cdn:

Mine didn't stop me. I needed 7, I did 17 when I was tested at CFRC. People weren't stopped at bmq during the test either. They did as many as they could and it's recorded. The more the better.

As for sit-ups it was do as many as you can in 1 minute at CFRC - same as at bmq, not do the minimum and then stop.

So I guess testers are different.

All I can say is: if that is how you were initially tested, I wouldn't count on it being that way at bmq.

Yes that's all that is required to be enrolled, providing you pass all the other requirements. But once you are in training they expect you to put out your maximum on everything. 110% all the time.

I'm sure St. Jean will be great. You'll be dog tired but it's all worth it!

When doing the pushup, you must keep your arms pushed against yourside and keep your hands at about shoulder width apart. My advice is to go tdown to  the recruiting centre in your city and ask for the package. In that package will be a small cd rom that you can run on your computer that will hopefully answer all you questions.

The push-up for the PT test are essential triceps push-ups.  On BMQ, are the requirements for push-ups the same....triceps?

Just wondering, for those who've attended or help run bmq in st. jean, what's the average number of pushups that a recruit normally can do when first starting out?

hmmm... i think i might be going nuts...who knew some push ups could stress someone out so much.   Im even losing sleep over this, I lay there in bed thinking about it for an hr or more sometimes and then get up and try to a bunch...get back in bed and do this over and over.   I'm going crazy because my fitness test is on August 26th (exactly 1 week from today) and two weeks ago I couldn't even do 1 push up.   Today I can do about 14 (the last 3 are kind of forced) I am a fairly strong female...I squat 225lbs -4reps, deadlift 220 4-reps , bench 105 -4 reps , and i curled 105 for 1 rep max the other day..I'm not the weakest...I just have never been that great at push ups , its my weakness.   I think I'm getting mild anxiety from it...Ill be somewhere..anywhere and ill start thinking about it and just feel like ill have to do a few push ups .   Ive wanted this for so long ...sooo bad!!   I'm 6ft, 195lbs (not a lightweight) I have my hands about 30 cms appart...I think I'm doing them right i go to about 4 inches off the ground, but yesterday I found out that my elbows have to be at my side??? ahhh any time Ive ever seen anyone do pushups, the elbows haven't been directly at the side of the body..not even on the recruiting video....what on earth? can anyone comment?  ???

When i want to do them "right" by CF Standards, i lay on my stomach stretched right up with my arms in front of me, then i adjust my arms by bringing them in until they are under my shoulders, i curl my toes in so im on them, and then begin to do the push ups. All i can suggest is you keep trying. A couple weeks ago when i first began to do my training (that i do everyday now) i could do like 10 sit ups and like 8-10 push ups. I do them everyday and make sure to go until i cant take the pain anymore.

It REALLY does pay off.

I can currently do 40 sit ups and about 30 push ups before i have to stop cause of the pain. Everyday i try to do atleast 1-2 more then the previous day.

Don't stress over it so much, just try your best and keep at it, don't quit right away when you feel them getting harder.

If you keep up with your exercising and try your hardest to do 1-2 more push ups everyday, you will soon see how easy it becomes to do 20 consecutive push ups like nothing...

I wish you good luck

ab136 said:
The push-up for the PT test are essential triceps push-ups.   On BMQ, are the requirements for push-ups the same....triceps?

Yes, the very same. Hands under your shoulders, arms at a 90 degree angle.

SemperFidelis said:
hmmm... i think i might be going nuts...who knew some push ups could stress someone out so much.   Im even losing sleep over this, I lay there in bed thinking about it for an hr or more sometimes and then get up and try to a bunch...get back in bed and do this over and over.   I'm going crazy because my fitness test is on August 26th (exactly 1 week from today) and two weeks ago I couldn't even do 1 push up.   Today I can do about 14 (the last 3 are kind of forced) I am a fairly strong female...I squat 225lbs -4reps, deadlift 220 4-reps , bench 105 -4 reps , and i curled 105 for 1 rep max the other day..I'm not the weakest...I just have never been that great at push ups , its my weakness.   I think I'm getting mild anxiety from it...Ill be somewhere..anywhere and ill start thinking about it and just feel like ill have to do a few push ups .   Ive wanted this for so long ...sooo bad!!   I'm 6ft, 195lbs (not a lightweight) I have my hands about 30 cms appart...I think I'm doing them right i go to about 4 inches off the ground, but yesterday I found out that my elbows have to be at my side??? ahhh any time Ive ever seen anyone do pushups, the elbows haven't been directly at the side of the body..not even on the recruiting video....what on earth? can anyone comment?   ???

Don't stop practicing them. When you get to bmq, keep doing pushups because you won't get much upper body training there. To keep yourself in good shape for the express test, keep doing pushups at bmq. That was my big mistake. When I left for Borden I could do 17 pushups. Two weeks later I couldn't do more than one that counted. You lose upper body strenght there because you never get to weight train and the PT is focussed on running, running and more running....with the swim test thrown in for good measure.

SemperFidelis

Don't stress, just keep at it!

When I went for my physical in Barrie the end of July.  I could have sworn the instructor didn't even look at me.  He just asked me how many I did! (of course I WAS looking at the floor while I was doing them) 

I was all stressed about elbows bending to more than 90 degrees or my nosing touching the ground each time. 

I was shocked to find that my hands did not have to be "exactly" under my shoulders, as a result I beat my personal best by 3 push ups.

No Problem

(oh yeah, and that is not your picture)

Mojo Magnum said:
SemperFidelis

Don't stress, just keep at it!

When I went for my physical in Barrie the end of July.   I could have sworn the instructor didn't even look at me.   He just asked me how many I did! (of course I WAS looking at the floor while I was doing them)  

I was all stressed about elbows bending to more than 90 degrees or my nosing touching the ground each time.  

I was shocked to find that my hands did not have to be "exactly" under my shoulders, as a result I beat my personal best by 3 push ups.

No Problem

(oh yeah, and that is not your picture)

Consider yourself lucky but don't assume this is how all testers run the test. Your arms MUST BE AT 90 degree angles. There is a certain form that is required. If you don't do them correctly, you will not pass the test...this is how 9 people got sent home from Borden. So your experience may have been different but I wouldn't want to rely on it as the 'norm'.

Practice doing the pushups correctly. Do them correctly. Full stop.

P-Free said:
Wasn't advice, just a fact about the PT test. All you need to do is 19 pushups. It is a pass or fail test. Anything past 19 is just a waste of your time and your testers time. It isn't the more the better, it is 19 and you pass, less and you fail. Simple as that.

My tester stopped me after 19..

well yes that is true, but i believe the more you do the more competitive your application becomes (someone who knows from experience please correct me if i am wrong) and if that is correct then the more competitive your application is, the better shot you have at getting in quicker to your selected trade then someone who can only do the minimum (again correct me if i am wrong)

I don't think the more you do makes your application. If I recall correctly, I think kincanucks said in another post, replying to the same question, that as long as you reach the minimums, that's all that matters.

So...Ive tried doing the elbows beside the body.  And O holy s**t.  I did 2!! and not only that, I get this really weird sensation in my right hand.  It goes just from the wrist through to my pinky and sometimes the finger next to it...it almost feels like an tiny electric shock....ARGHHHH  fitness test in 5 days and counting down (including the amount of time i sleep lol)

(oh and Mojo Magnum...that is my pic)

Fry said:
I don't think the more you do makes your application. If I recall correctly, I think kincanucks said in another post, replying to the same question, that as long as you reach the minimums, that's all that matters.

Well I certainly don't want to speak for Kincanucks, but my experience at bmq was nobody stopped at the minimum if they could avoid it. You ran as much as you could, gripped that hand grip as hard as you could, did as many pushups as you could and did as many sit ups as you could.

There is a 'merit' of sorts for people who exceed the minimum levels. If you pass the 'merit' portion (I could be using an incorrect term for this, not sure what it's really called) you will not have to take the express test again for two years instead of taking it annually.

In other words, a 20 yr old male who goes above and beyond all levels of the test and reaches the 'merit' level will not be required to take the test again for at least 24 months. So if this male needs to run to level 6 as a minimum and runs to level 10 instead, does 40 pushups instead of 19, and 35 situps instead of 19 and has a hand grip of 140 - I'm choosing these numbers arbitrarily, you would have to ask a recruiter for the exact numbers - then that guy won't have to re-do the express test for 2 years.

Fry, this has been stated over and over on this and other threads here, so you really should re-think your "just the minimum" replies. They do a disservice to people, who, if they take your replies as gospel, could end up not getting the recognition that could help their career in the future.

Yes, you will pass with just the minimum, but wouldn't you rather do your personal best?

SemperFidelis said:
I get this really weird sensation in my right hand.   It goes just from the wrist through to my pinky and sometimes the finger next to it...it almost feels like an tiny electric shock

i get that kind of electric shock as well!Sometimes, most of the time i just do alot of normals pushups and alot of tricep dips. I passed the PT np. i only get that electric shock when my head is down and my hand is somehow raised up in the air. all of a sudden i hear some kinda crack...pretty sure not bones but i think veins or something. I first found out when i came out of the shower and i started wiping my hair dry while resting my head down. Really wiered stuff.  :salute:
:cdn:

I was told to stop at pushup 19, and that all would be written down was that I reached the standard.

Fry said:
I was told to stop at pushup 19, and that all would be written down was that I reached the standard.

Was that for the entrance test? Because like I said, it's different at bmq. Nobody stopped there. So if you are satisfied with that, then do it at bmq but you will see other people will do way more than 19 at bmq because they want to do their personal best. You'll still pass with 19 but that's the minimum requirement to pass.

Keep in mind too that at bmq your instructors could be watching and even if they aren't, they see the results. Do you want to give them the impression that you only put out the minimum effort or do you want them to say....Whoa look at Fry, he's got the right stuff, he's pumping those pushups out!

Think about it.

Back