• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pushups- Try Reading Here First- Merged Thread

I can relate to this cause i've had it when i was younger playing vollleyball in highschool & it's starting to make it's way back.  Sounds like it might be what's called a "ganglion" which is essentially a bunch of nerve endings pocketed together....hence the pain.  From what my doctor told me (now this is over 10yrs ago) it happens most frequently when the wrist gets wrenched back a lot.  Obviously hurts more when pressure is applied to the joint, and sometimes when just bending the wrist itself.  Sometimes a wee bump can be seen at the back of the wrist when bending/flexing the wrist forward.  When I had this, I had to go twice for these cortisone-type injections into the wrist joint & DARN did they hurt.  Definitely try to get to the doctor & try taking some ibuprofen (Advil) & ice to help in the meantime.

Saw the doctor today about the pains Ive been having in my wrists. He said it was from over training. Tendinitis it is. He told me to take it easy on my wrists for a while. Told me if I wanted to continue doing pushups to do them on my finger tips or make a fist and use my knuckles. He also suggested doing some wrist curls with a small amount of weight. Doing sets with palms facing down and curling up, thumb facing up, and palms facing up. Also going to a session of physio therapy to learn some more on how to strengthen them. Ill keep you updated. Lastly, do you think it will be a big deal if sometimes during my BMQ in three weeks I wear a brace or tape my wrists? Will the Sgt. give me hell for this??

You might get "teased" about it initially but unless you do not participate in the PT, then shouldn't be a problem.

turns out it wasn't a problem with my tendons at all. I went to a physio therapist and he discovered I have hyper mobility in my wrist. The ligaments which attach all my little bones in my wrist have been stretched causing the little bones to float around more, so when i bend my wrist and load it with weight the little bones are not being tucked into the wrist place and touching the end of my fore arm bones where there are nerves located. Pretty painfull and doing pushups will only further loosen my ligaments and cause the condition to worsen. Only way to fix it is to operate but i wont be doing that anytime soon. So now I have to to pushups on my knuckles to keep my wrist in a straight and neutral position. Needless to say they are harder this way because I don't get to you any of my wrist muscles to lift myself up. ahhhh well just a better upper body workout. How strict are the instructors for form on pushups? If I explain to them that my wrist is hooped and my Doc told me to do pushups on my knuckles will I be allowed??

You'll probably need a medical chit for your instructors to allow you to deviate from the proper form of doing push-ups and to allow you to wear a brace.

Depending on where you are doing your BMQ you can go on sick parade and get assessed at the MIR to get the chit you need.

I wont be needing a brace for my wrist. However I will need to to pushups on my knuckles. Im doing BMQ in chilliwack so its not a full fledged base. There is only the ASU, and summer training company. Whats a chit?

A chit is a little note that exempts you from something (ie PT) or allows you to wear something (ie aftermarket boots). A chit is required to be on your person while in effect.

In Chilliwack you will still be doing pushups if your physicly able to; so it is best to get a note from your doctor prior to going and let your staff know at an early date.

Ok i just got the Recruiting cd which shows how ot do push ups but the two people doing them dont have there arms tucked in ? so does that mean we dont have to ?

howie

Hey guys, I'm currently training for my fitness test to get into the regular force infantry and I'm having problems with my pushups.  I can do about 27 to 30 usually, but my back always want to arch back down towards the groundafter about 5 or 6 reps, and from what I've read, a push up without a straight back and neck doesn't count for your test.  I can force my back up in a straight line, but only for about 10 pushups.  Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what did you do to solve it?  What exercises can I do to strengthen the muscles in my lower back?
:cdn:

Big_C said:
What exercises can I do to strengthen the muscles in my lower back?
more push-ups.

Also: good mornings, hyper-extensions, squats, bridges, deadlifts, sit-ups, crunches, leg raises, and push-ups.

Before you start working the lower back too hard, see a trainer - it is probably the easiest area of your body to injure with very little weight.

You can get a free consultation at most health clubs, or pay for it if you have to - but don't screw up your lower back. The consequences will last a lifetime.

just seconding what paracowboy said, do more pushups. my mother was terrible for doing this (i'm talking after the 3rd pushup here) and it looked like her pushups were in two stages - torso lifting then hips and legs lifting. Every night when she did them to prepare for her BOTC course we would correct her posture each time. She kept doing them and eventually her body sorted itself out

how often do you work your lower back/obliques/abdominals? They all tie in together. You want a strong lower back? Work on your stomach. Look into building your 'core' (I believe that's the current phrase phrase du jour for it).

Now do some push-ups.

Try doing the yoga pose called the "plank". I spent a lot of time doing this in order to build up those muscles. See this link: http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/470_1.cfm Not the best picture I've seen but all I could find in a hurry.

The version that I did had my arms bent at the elbows so I was resting on my forearms with my forearms out straight ahead of me, palms down. I held this position for one minute then I built up for consecutively longer times. This builds those core muscles and will really help you with your pushups.

The thing I like about this exercise is that it uses the same muscles as  for pushups and I found it helped to build strength much faster than other strengthening exercises.

Good luck!

Big_C said:
I can do about 27 to 30 usually, but my back always want to arch back down towards the groundafter about 5 or 6 reps,
:cdn:

So in other words you can do 5-6 pushups, I agree with paracowboy. on this one

As already mentioned focus on your core muscles.  The plank is an excellent exercise for this as are the others mentioned by paracowboy.  Doing more pushups is good but may not neccessarily directly target the core which sounds like it need strengthening.

Try doing push ups at night with a broom stick laid on your back for support, you should feel the entire broom stick on your back. If not you may have back problems.

Hi all,
I'm wondering if anyone here has a similar problem and can help me out.
When I do push ups, when my upper arm is just coming parallel to the ground my right elbow seems to "pop". It's kind of disturbing!

I can continue with the push ups, but if it "pops" more then once or twice it starts to hurt. I tend to do my push ups a bit shallow as a result.

There's no residual pain, it's a bit stiff for a few minutes after I stop and then it goes away. I have full use of my elbow otherwise, no old injuries and I can pump out push ups okay except for this.

Any info, tips, advice? I have been told this is not uncommon, and not in itself harmful. Not completely sure about that, to be honest.

i get the popping usually for the first 2 or 3 pushups i do then it does go away, but i dont get a pain like you do, it could be a joint problem you have? i do know alot of people who get that though and it doesnt seem to slow down their training or anything, so unless it really bugs  you, or someone here can offer you better advice, i wouldnt pay attention to it.

Build more muscle around the area, for example the chest and shoulders; then most of the stress will be isolated to the them not the elbow joint.

Back