• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Quebec Gov't Requests CAF support to address flooding

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
11,246
Points
1,090
Quebec's Public Security Minister Martin Coiteux said Friday the province has asked for and will receive assistance from the Canadian Armed Forces to deal with widespread flooding as wet weather and heavy rainfall continues.



http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/eastern-canada-rain-flood-warnings-1.4100856
 

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
2,561
Points
1,160
A few news sources are reporting ~400 soldiers in 5 squadrons are deployed out of Valcartier.  I have seen pictures of TAPV and Coyote, so I assume 12 RBC is the 2 Div IRU right now, but 5 is more sqn than I expect they have so I assume 5 RGC is at least partially out the door as well.

 

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
2,561
Points
1,160
... but I suppose it is also possible the term "squadron" is being applied to something(s) that are actually something else.
 

devil39

Sr. Member
Reaction score
25
Points
330
Some not so great coverage of Gatineau residents on CBC, complaining that "The Army" is too late and should have been deployed earlier.  The Army is at fault apparently.

Not the Canadian Armed Forces responsibility for the safety of citizens of Quebec or their property in the face of emergencies or disasters. 

I don't know the legislation in Quebec, however in Alberta, that responsibility belongs to Municipalities, who then ask for assistance from the Province, who can then ask for assistance from the Federal Government  Federal government assistance usually equates to CAF assets being deployed.

Watched this work quite well, close up, in multiple Manitoba floods, Saskatchewan fires, Alberta floods and fires.

Why does this never seem to work in Quebec?  Where is the breakdown?  I seem to recall the last flood event in Quebec (2011?), complaints about the Army, and it turned out that the Quebec Provincial Government asked for assistance far too late?
 

Journeyman

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
1,795
Points
940
devil39 said:
Some not so great coverage of Gatineau residents on CBC, complaining that "The Army" is too late and should have been deployed earlier.  The Army is at fault apparently.
Feel free to wade into CBC's 'comments' section ( :stars: ) and sort them out.  :pop:
 
S

sandyson

Guest
I suppose I'm mean-spirited, but I have little sympathy for people who buy property on a the bank of a river in a flood plain.  It's going to flood. Guaranteed. Why should tax payers pick up the bill for such folly?  I worked on recovery in the two 'floods of the century' of Riviere Saint Francois in the Eastern Townships.  The university was flooded causing serious damage to buildings and infrastructure.One old house of the university sits low and a canoe was used to enter the main floor.  After the first flood the workers recommended just bulldozing the structure after containing the oil tank spill.  The university instead rebuilt it.  The second flood came.  They rebuilt it.  We old boys are now waiting for the third flood. Hearsay has it that with the government recovery grant they could not afford not to rebuild it. The media would fry a politician for saying so, but if you build a house beside a river, a flood is your problem not the governments.
 

blacktriangle

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
269
Points
880
Sandyson said:
I suppose I'm mean-spirited, but I have little sympathy for people who buy property on a the bank of a river in a flood plain.  It's going to flood. Guaranteed. Why should tax payers pick up the bill for such folly?  I worked on recovery in the two 'floods of the century' of Riviere Saint Francois in the Eastern Townships.  The university was flooded causing serious damage to buildings and infrastructure.One old house of the university sits low and a canoe was used to enter the main floor.  After the first flood the workers recommended just bulldozing the structure after containing the oil tank spill.  The university instead rebuilt it.  The second flood came.  They rebuilt it.  We old boys are now waiting for the third flood. Hearsay has it that with the government recovery grant they could not afford not to rebuild it. The media would fry a politician for saying so, but if you build a house beside a river, a flood is your problem not the governments.

Agreed.

My old man is a little crazy, but as a kid I distinctly remember him doing terrain analysis when buying the family home. He bought in an elevated area, away from water, and got a back up power system for the sump pump just to be safe. My parents have never had to paddle through their front door, and the house is worth seven figures now to boot. Far better than the "prestige" of living by the water - at least to me.
 

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
20
Points
380
After the 97 flood in Manitoba the gov  would not rebuild unless the buildings were raised above the 100 year flood level.
 

medicineman

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
1,179
Points
1,010
Spectrum said:
Agreed.

My old man is a little crazy, but as a kid I distinctly remember him doing terrain analysis when buying the family home. He bought in an elevated area, away from water, and got a back up power system for the sump pump just to be safe. My parents have never had to paddle through their front door, and the house is worth seven figures now to boot. Far better than the "prestige" of living by the water - at least to me.

Thinking of this, I remember when I got posted to Gagetown and was looking to buy - found a place I really wanted in North Fredericton, but the day I showed up for my HHT, it sold.  Downer...until the realtor pulled out the 20 and 25 year flood tracings - it was between the two marks, and my last year there, the place was under water.  The place I did get was in Burton, on a nice hill, where I got to watch Hwy105 drown, including the church just kitty corner to me, not once, but twice in 4 years.

MM
 

medicineman

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
1,179
Points
1,010
In my defence, it was on the other side of the substantially large/wide St John River...about 1500m as the crow flew.  Someone was really putting their faith in a higher being by planting the church literally on the river bank  ::).

MM
 

NavyShooter

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
2,066
Points
1,090
I grew up in a house that had a basement which leaked in any small rainstorm.

When I bought my first house, I set a rule...the house must be on a hill. 

As a sailor, I recognize the destructive capabilities of water, and having grown up with a leaky basement, I know all too well what happens after ingress starts.

My 2nd house was on a hill, as was our 3rd, and now that I have a waterfront property as my 4th home, I was careful to consider the flood aspect when purchasing.  The road to get to my home may end up in distress if there's a huge flood, but the water would have to rise almost 20 feet to get to my foundation.  I'm satisfied with that, considering the elevations here.

Also, as a bonus, a house on a hill generally provides better fields of fire.

:)

NS
 

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
11,246
Points
1,090
NavyShooter said:
Also, as a bonus, a house on a hill generally provides better fields of fire.

Make sure you keep the vegetation trimmed back...
 

SupersonicMax

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
1,559
Points
1,140
Sandyson said:
I suppose I'm mean-spirited, but I have little sympathy for people who buy property on a the bank of a river in a flood plain.  It's going to flood. Guaranteed. Why should tax payers pick up the bill for such folly?  I worked on recovery in the two 'floods of the century' of Riviere Saint Francois in the Eastern Townships.  The university was flooded causing serious damage to buildings and infrastructure.One old house of the university sits low and a canoe was used to enter the main floor.  After the first flood the workers recommended just bulldozing the structure after containing the oil tank spill.  The university instead rebuilt it.  The second flood came.  They rebuilt it.  We old boys are now waiting for the third flood. Hearsay has it that with the government recovery grant they could not afford not to rebuild it. The media would fry a politician for saying so, but if you build a house beside a river, a flood is your problem not the governments.

I disagree.  The blame must be shared.  Different levels of government allowed development of neighbourhoods close to the water, knowing it is close to water.  There is, then, some expectation from the government that people will establish themselve in those neighbourhoods. It is part of their city/provincial planning and should be held accountable to some level.  I am pretty sure the owners will already be losing quite a bit, both immaterial and material.
 

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
11,246
Points
1,090
@RalphGoodale

Ont Govt has requested federal support in fighting flood waters thru provision of emergency materials. Answer is of course YES!
https://twitter.com/RalphGoodale/status/861310982466961412
 

kev994

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
1,113
Points
1,260
So fill sandbags on the side of the bridge that you are stuck on?
 
Top