• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question about joining as a Medic

• Thread starter Thread starter desjardins
  • Start date Start date
George Wallace said:
Goose

You really don't have two clues what you want to be do you? Eight posts and all the same theme.  All claiming you haven't found anything that would answer what your questions may be. 

Perhaps, you should go on Listening Silence for a while and so some Research here on the site and get a feel for what is being posted.  Perhaps something will jump out at you, and hit you between the lookers, and then you'll know what your calling may be.

I hope that doesn't hit your sensibilities too hard, but you really are giving us the impression that you are adrift in life, without a calling.

Wallace - see this is where we diverge on opinion... what is wrong with not knowing your calling or going adrift in life? They say that the typical person of generation Y will have up to 4 different career jobs  in their lifetime. This notion that we must 'know' what it is we want when we graduate at 21-24, is outdated. Most 21 year olds are still chasing girls and getting drunk every other day, let alone know enough about 'life' to know their calling. That’s my opinion though. I say ask away Goose, knowledge is power... don't sign up for something unless your positive - I'm actually curious about the answers to your questions as well.

*edited for spelling*

Future Prodigy said:
Wallace - see this is where we diverge on opinion... what is wrong with not knowing your calling or going adrift in life? They say that the typical person of generation Y will have up to 4 different career jobs  in their lifetime. This notion that we must 'know' what it is we want when we graduate at 21-24, is outdated. Most 21 year olds are still chasing girls and getting drunk every other day, let alone know enough about 'life' to know their calling. That’s my opinion though. I say ask away Goose, knowledge is power... don't sign up for something unless your positive - I'm actually curious about the answers to your questions as well.

*edited for spelling*

If that's the case, then a lot of 21-24 year olds still have quite a lot of growing up to do ...

Mom & Dad still expected to pay your way (and your taxes) at this age? Nope ... you're supposed to be working (or in school) earning a living by then. It may not be "your calling", but you're supposed to be doing that --- ergo the 3 or 4 different jobs in your lifetime.

Even us old folks can say we've done a couple of jobs in our lifetime. Most of us probably had jobs before we joined the CF, this is nothing new in life.

ArmyVern said:
Mom & Dad still expected to pay your way (and your taxes) at this age? Nope ... you're supposed to be working (or in school) earning a living by then.

I *think* that parents are legally responsible all their life to be sure that their child is able to eat. There were a case a few years ago where
grandparents had to pay for the grandchild (major) education. A friend of mine had monetary problem when she reached university. It was
too far from home,  she moved to the dormitory over there. The financial aid agency for student considered that her father was making enough
money to support her alone (a doctor) , but her father wasn't helping her that much. Their counsel : "you have to pursue him in a law court ".
Nice family reunion if she would have done it ...

But effectively, at this age, whether you have found your calling or not, in my opinion, you have to be active : school or job.

Yrys said:
I *think* that parents are legally responsible all their life to be sure that their child is able to eat. There were a case a few years ago where
grandparents had to pay for the grandchild (major) education. A friend of mine had monetary problem when she reached university. It was
too far from home,  she moved to the dormitory over there. The financial aid agency for student considered that her father was making enough
money to support her alone (a doctor) , but her father wasn't helping her that much. Their counsel : "you have to pursue him in a law court ".
Nice family reunion if she would have done it ...

But effectively, at this age, whether you have found your calling or not, in my opinion, you have to be active : school or job.

Under certain circumstances and conditions ... sure.

But, if you think for one second that you'd be held financially responsible as a parent to support a 21-24 year old so that they can be out "still chasing girls and getting drunk every other day" ... I don't think there's a court in the land that would deem that correct.

But yeah, I must agree with Future_Prodigy's opinion that "Most 21 year olds are still chasing girls and getting drunk every other day, let alone know enough about 'life' to know their calling." Interestingly, I'd add "and expect everything to be handed to them without having to earn any of it." And bitch and complain when it isn't ... by us "outdated" people, of course.

ArmyVern said:
If that's the case, then a lot of 21-24 year olds still have quite a lot of growing up to do ...

Mom & Dad still expected to pay your way (and your taxes) at this age? Nope ... you're supposed to be working (or in school) earning a living by then. It may not be "your calling", but you're supposed to be doing that --- ergo the 3 or 4 different jobs in your lifetime.

As a soon-to-be 19 year old I don't disagree that by 21-24 you should have some direction in your life; I have enough colleagues from high school that make me wonder how long it's going to take them to gain some direction. I wouldn't be able to show my face in public if I was 24 years old living in my parents basement delivering pizzas for some cash to booze on the weekends with my friends who have all done this thing called growing up.

George Wallace said:
Goose

You really don't have two clues what you want to be do you? Eight posts and all the same theme.  All claiming you haven't found anything that would answer what your questions may be. 

Perhaps, you should go on Listening Silence for a while and so some Research here on the site and get a feel for what is being posted.  Perhaps something will jump out at you, and hit you between the lookers, and then you'll know what your calling may be.

I hope that doesn't hit your sensibilities too hard, but you really are giving us the impression that you are adrift in life, without a calling.

But holy f**k, the guy's just finishing up his bachelors and your rediculing him for being "adrift in life" and without a "calling?" He's exploring job opportunities now that he'll soon be at an education level he's deemed sufficient for himself, what else does he need to do to escape your high and mighty opinion of what everyone and everybody should do and should have done? I can see why you might hop on somebody for butchering the english language, even while suggesting that because of their habits they will never amount to anything in the CF, but this is just redonkulous.

Now of course, fire away and tell me I'll be a horrible officer. I agree with you that I'm headed for a good psychological slap in BMOQ.

ballz

Did you bother to go to his/her profile and have a look at what they have posted.  Numerous topics; all the same and totally deserving of a wack off the side of their head.

Well to get the topic back on track, I wanted to be a Med tech cause

1. You still work closely with the infantry and In the field
2. War is a terrible thing so I find it a lot more worthwhile to save lifes than take them
3. Didn't want to be a civi paramedic because I believe University was more right for me rather than collage

I was originally looking into paramedics when the military thing came up... so there was no doubt that I would be involved in the military in the medical aspect.  As for joining the army, so many things appealed to me about it.  The lifestyle and benefits, the focus on fitness, travel opportunities, and in a large way, the team aspect...how (when everything/everyone is working properly) the CF moves like a well-oiled machine...people do their jobs, obey orders, and give their best.  Not many companies or groups actually work like that.  It's amazing to see and exciting to become a part of.  I really wanted to work with a well-trained group of medical people and help my fellow soldiers in a very real way. 

JABAC said:
I was originally looking into paramedics when the military thing came up... so there was no doubt that I would be involved in the military in the medical aspect.  As for joining the army, so many things appealed to me about it.  The lifestyle and benefits, the focus on fitness, travel opportunities, and in a large way, the team aspect...how (when everything/everyone is working properly) the CF moves like a well-oiled machine...people do their jobs, obey orders, and give their best.  Not many companies or groups actually work like that.  It's amazing to see and exciting to become a part of.  I really wanted to work with a well-trained group of medical people and help my fellow soldiers in a very real way. 

Where do you work?? lol...  I think many units are in real need of an oil change!!

Medical trade is the greatest... IMHO,  I think every Medic should strive to be a Combat Medic, as that is the ultimate reward.  To live, fight, sleep, and sometimes die beside the people we all support in the military... The 031 grunt!!! What is so cool, is that 031 grunt (if you do your job well) will do everything to make your life ok!!! I loved being a Combat Medic.. Even at its lowest points.  As the biggest honour was to be called Doc!  Our trade is what you put into it!! Crap in... Crap out... Gold in.... Gold out!!!  Attitude is everything....

Starlight31 said:
Where do you work?? lol...  I think many units are in real need of an oil change!!

Haha, I know I probably have an inaccurate idea since I have not yet experienced it, but that is what I hope for and what I will strive for.  I will give my best because that's what I want the team I am a part of to be.  A team is only as strong as it's weakest member and I hope to be there to support and help the team as best I can.

Starlight31 said:
I think every Medic should strive to be a Combat Medic, as that is the ultimate reward.  To live, fight, sleep, and sometimes die beside the people we all support in the military...

That's what I'll be doing! (if all goes according to plan...)  When I've told people that I'm joining the military as a med tech, a common response is "what if you go overseas or have to go to war?"  I reply, "well that's what I'll be training for, that's why I'm joining".  Again, my view is obviously biased since I am looking at my career from a civvy point of view, but I have also tried to be very realistic about it, knowing that it will be very hard and that I'll have to face things I can't even imagine at this point.  But it's all a part of the training process of making a civvy into a soldier.  I can't wait.

Two big reasons, neither of which I feel uncomfortable disclosing.

Family, my mom was a nurse and the way she talked about her job on top of my own interests in medicine was a big push.

Guilt (or maybe just remembrance) , when I was 14 my cousin drowned while I was visiting her in England.  It was truly one of those "if only I'd..." situations.  After that I decided that I wanted to have a job helping or saving people, not just standing by doing nothing.

ps.  I guess a third general reason would be this... the CF provides you with unbeatable training, opportunities, and benefits not found in any other job, on top of that they will pay you to go to school and all they ask in return is three years, sounds pretty fair :)

Haven't completed my QL3's yet, but...

Why "Medical" vs. ___? 

I like helping people.  I'm not afraid of a little (or a lot) of fluids, or needles.  I like working outdoors, in the rain or shine.  I love challenges of all sorts.  I love the concept of medicine; learning how to fix people as effectively as possible.  I like critical problem solving.  I was once a lifeguard, loved the job, wanted to take it farther, looked at the civvy and military occupations, and well... here I am.  Awaiting training at CFB Borden.  ;D

ps.  After firing the first round w/my C7A2, I learned to love shooting.  >:D

EDS334 said:
ps.  After firing the first round w/my C7A2, I learned to love shooting.   >:D

Everyone loves shooting, you just don't know it till you've done it.  Like when my dad let my try his Tikka 7mm Remington Magnum for the first time.
Ooooooo happy day.  ;D  Moose hunting rifles pack a punch.

Medic tng is 75% skills, and 25% knowledge based. Basically you are given enough knowledge to decide which skill is best done when.

The more advanced you go, the more the ratio reverses. As in Ptes are expect to do stuff, PA's are expected to know stuff.

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
Medic tng is 75% skills, and 25% knowledge based. Basically you are given enough lnowledge to decide which skill is best done when.

I'm glad to here that.

Cheers, Kyle

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
Medic tng is 75% skills, and 25% knowledge based. Basically you are given enough knowledge to decide which skill is best done when.

The more advanced you go, the more the ratio reverses. As in Ptes are expect to do stuff, PA's are expected to know stuff.

You're also expected as a PA to be able to pass on what you know and can do - amazing how many people fail to remember that or just plain fail to do it.  You do get to do stuff as a PA as well, BTW, some of it kinda cool  ;D.

MM

MM

someone mentioned earlier an interesting thought... can med-techs receive the same type of specialty training (for a lack of a better term - basically jump course, dive course, etc) as the infantry. Or is this type of stuff left for sar-techs? Is there a military equivalent like in the USA?

Multi-point question I know, sorry about that.

Back