• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question about medals

Radchris

Inactive
Reaction score
Im getting pissed, my Haiti medal and CD are sitting in the RSM's desk for a year now and the COC keeps saying they are waiting for a parade sometime in the future.
Anything I can do?

Most medals have to be presented to you by a Col or higher. So take the time to wait it out. You aleady know your going to recieve it, and when you do then your gonna have to go and get them mounted which takes time as well. Just better to wait it out.

A month & I can see "just wait".
But a year is pure BS.
When the COC fails to take care of the troops, how can they be amazed with disgruntled troops.
In my opinion any RSM worth anything would never let this happen.

I received my CD third clasp in the mail from Brigade (across the city). I was somewhat pissed.

I have also seen many presented by a Major (CO).

Just write a memo - state that you are more than Ok with your current CO presenting the medals to you.  It might provide to impetus to get them off their asses. 

...emphasizing the extremely limited time to get them mounted before Nov 11.

I was in the same boat you are in, my clasp to my CD was sitting on the RSM's desk for 10 months.  They were waiting for a proper occasion to present it to me, you can talk to your CSM but must likely you will end up waiting.  I would think that they are waiting till the Mens Christmas Dinner.  I don't agree with it but that would be my guess.

The only real guideline on the presentation of medals is that it should be timely and dignified.  It is perfectly acceptable to wait for a parade that is coming up, but to wait indefinitely for an as yet unplanned parade is unacceptable.  In short, delaying a presentation by weeks for something is OK, but delaying for months without a plan is not.

Perhaps a memo through the Chain of Command asking to have it presented is in order?

My unit has over 35 rotation bars in the RSM desk (he must have a big drawer just for them), I'm hoping mine gets done after that massive parade as I'm deploying. Some arrived before the summer.

Pusser said:
but delaying for months without a plan is not.

Because, from the OP original post alone, we can safely assume there is no plan, right ?

CDN Aviator said:
Because, from the OP original post alone, we can safely assume there is no plan, right ?

It shouldn't take a year to develop and execute a plan to present a medal.  It can be done in the CO's office.  When I was in a position to deal with this sort of thing, I normally had a the medal presented within two weeks of its delivery to my section.

Pusser said:
It shouldn't take a year to develop and execute a plan to present a medal.

You are correct, of course. That being said, the unit CO, as far as i know, can do it when he sees fit. To assume there is no plan simply because a guy comes on here to complain he hasn't got his medals yet is, IMHO, a bit hasty.

Pusser said:
It shouldn't take a year to develop and execute a plan to present a medal.  It can be done in the CO's office.  When I was in a position to deal with this sort of thing, I normally had a the medal presented within two weeks of its delivery to my section.
My previous point exactly. Although I might give a little slack on the two weeks time line. ;)

CDN Aviator said:
You are correct, of course. That being said, the unit CO, as far as i know, can do it when he sees fit. To assume there is no plan simply because a guy comes on here to complain he hasn't got his medals yet is, IMHO, a bit hasty.
If the CO elects to take a year, I feel he is the one who's not fit & the CWO who lets him get away with it isn't either.

I was lucky to have my Swain at the time slip me my CD1 across to me, no muss, no fuss.  Perfect.  Sadly he said he could not do the same for the GCS that also was sitting there too.  I had to do the dog and pony for that one. 

As with jollyjacktar, both my CD and, subsequently, the clasp were just thrown into my office mail slot. I was perfectly OK with that, and at this point, I suspect that the original poster may be as well. In my case, it was because I was in a unit that wasn't big on parade square pomp & circumstance; for the OP, I suspect it's because of the dubious "know your troops and promote their well-being" of the CO/RSM in question.

All of my deployment medals (which I actually value) involved "parades," in-theatre, of no more than 2-3 of us standing before the CO or some other 'dignitary.' The aim was met in an effective manner, no rocks were painted, and I've always managed to look suitably pretty in time for Remembrance Day.

Journeyman said:
and I've always managed to look suitably pretty in time for Remembrance Day.

Dressed up, maybe, but I don't know if I'd ever use..."pretty"

Back