• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

Hey,is the question fo the hour getting side-tracked here?  Okay, here is a new question:

What was the price of the beer at the establishment where Mr. Coates got himself in trouble?

Hmmm.... 4 DMs to the Cdn $ at the time - if memoryserves me right...

Gee, I must have gone in high season - I recall 10 DM a beer back in the early '80s - and yes it was Tiffany's (and as of 2003 it was still in operation!).  Sip and savour...

It is frightening how quick the responses were on that one!

10DM beer would be the equivalent of $2.50.... highway robbery, if you ask me!!! I used to get a decent bottle of table wine at the Canex for 6DM!

Crap!  It was only 2DM to the CAD when I was over there, but the 500 ml biere anywhere else than Tiffany's was 2 Mark 50.  Now, I think it is 2.5 Euros......Now that is Highway Robbery..........but no comparison to what we pay for booze (TAXES).

So.....What was the name of the Disco attached to Rosies?

Just keeping the Questions going.....

I remember Klein Canada used to give you a free shot of rotgut for your first visit.

The 2nd time I went there for Reforger, all the guys wanted someone to take them to the sexclubs, I said I would if they bought the beer, I made this agreement while in a normal Gastoff (spelling?) where the beer was cheap, the guy were shocked at how much beer was at the clubs!!

I remember as a kid wanting to go into the local topless bar, which closed down before I came of age. Going to the one in Germany shattered my fantasy as the barmaid came by with a couple of bushes in her armpits and breast that lost the war to gravity some time ago. 

Oh the 1st time I came across the bier lady that carries 4-6 x 1 liter steins ........

Ach du lieber..... wunderbar!!!

Alright young uns helmets on, the old Cold Warriors have come to hijack this thread and stroll stagger down memory lane. :warstory:

King's Club
Taverne
Terrase
Drops Disco
The Bunker
The Keller Bar
Tiffany's
Krone
Hansa Stube
Disco 77
Piano Bar

Next to Rosies was Trocadaro's

Rosies was actually called Der Gute Quelle (the good spring or fountain)  It was primarily a gunner hang out when i was there from 86-92. Beer was about 3-4 DM, coca cola was more.  Trocs was on one side, and did booming business until the BComd forbade us all from going after 5 vandoos nearly killed a gunner named Doss. Beer there was 5dm, cola was 6dm.  On the other side was Cherie's cabaret.  beer was expensive, and piccolos of sekt cost about 50dm  (or so Im told)

I used to like Number 1 (by the Fiat factory)

Wow, there are some impressive battle honours there; I remember a disco near Mannheim called Pinnochio's.  We were all told to keep away from it and when we showed up the doorman (through his narrow slit) took one look at us and said "F%&* Off! No Americans!", and promptly slammed the vision slit shut.  We responded by pounding on the door and insisting that we were "nicht Amerikaners, kein yankees!" and repeating "Kanadsich Soldaten"  He carefully examined our dog tags, checked with his boss, and we were in. "Canada okay, kein Amerikaners!" It was a nice quiet place and we all had a great time.

What was the Khedive's Bronze star awarded for, and what medal was it awarded with?

I remember walking into the KK when I first got there with my sponsor. Enjoyed the little place so much, I became a regular. I was there so much that during my last year there, the owner, who had just seperated from her husband and was dating a buddy of mine, would get me to bartend when she was either too drunk (and I was soberer??) or going to get stock. Lots of free Pils for this old signaller.

Also haunted the CC, Legion, #1, Terrace and many more that my poor besooted brain cells can't remember  :-\

redleafjumper said:
What was the Khedive's Bronze star awarded for, and what medal was it awarded with?
Awarded by the Khedive of Egypt
1882 Egyptian Rebellion as a service medal (also 1884, 1885-6, 1886-9, 1890) Clasp for Tokar (Feb 19th, 1901).
I am guessing that it was awarded typically with the Egypt Medal (1882 and 1884 versions) [13 clasps]

Back