• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

You are correct. It was addressing the US request for Canadian particpation in the antcipated invasion of the northern Japanese islands. I found it similiar to what is going on in the world today.

Next question:

The Combined Operations School was located in which town and province?

3rd Herd said:
Maggie's drawers, Sir

Ummm....who is maggie, and what do her drawers have to do with this? ;D

(Honestly, I don't know what/who/where Maggie's Drawers means)

It's a saying from the "Day" I guess...it means you missed, goes back to the ranges and the big red flag or whatever was used, to indicate a miss on the target. And the "Sir" part means you might have got a promotion ;)

3rd Herd said:
You are correct. It was addressing the US request for Canadian particpation in the antcipated invasion of the northern Japanese islands. I found it similiar to what is going on in the world today.

Curious, considering the training of the Canadian 6th Division to participate in the invasion of Japan [Operation Downfall/Operarion Coronet]. I realize this was in regards to southern Islands. Was there a operation name for the invasion of the Northern Islands? Weren't the Russians about to do this?

Larry Strong said:
It's a saying from the "Day" I guess...it means you missed, goes back to the ranges and the big red flag or whatever was used, to indicate a miss on the target. And the "Sir" part means you might have got a promotion ;)

I must be old. To think that could have been a question of the hour and Larry you are correct. As for the Sir, I guess I have been reading to much Wellington and the Peninsular wars lately.

Current question
In what town and province was the Combined Operations school

AJFitzpatrick said:
Curious, considering the training of the Canadian 6th Division to participate in the invasion of Japan [Operation Downfall/Operarion Coronet]. I realize this was in regards to southern Islands. Was there a operation name for the invasion of the Northern Islands? Weren't the Russians about to do this?

Operation names were Greenlight for the training portion but no name was given for the assualt operation as it was cancelled with the dropping of the bombs. As for the Soviets according to Stacey, "in May 1945 an approach was made to Russia, asking that country for intercession; but Russia would give no definite answer".(pg 519)

Source: Stacey, C.P., Six Years of War, Vol 1, "The Army in Canada, Britian and the Pacific", Department of National Defence, Ottawa, 1955

von Garvin said:
I think I found something by googling.  Is that cheating?

No as long as you provide the source and I hate Wiki....pedia

Comox close but no cigar

I don't use "WIKI" anything for my sources. 
http://mikan3.archives.ca/pam/public_mikan/index.php?fuseaction=genitem.displayItem&lang=eng&rec_nbr=1895898&
I also saw Courtney BC.  They are so close.....

Goose Spit ?  ;D

Courtney is the winner
"......two battalion combat teams were assembled as soon as possible at Nanaimo and Courtney. The major units were concentrated by June 14. The program included harding and toughing training, weapon and tactical training, and ambhibious training comprising work with assualt craft, organization of beaches, and the loading and unloading of vechicles".(pg 499)
Source: Stacey

Heres one for those of the naval persuasion ,what was the largest warship to sail the Great Lakes
and when did it happen?
                Regards

Hmm, interesting question.

By largest, I am going to assume you mean tonnage rather than personnel or length. Corvettes were built in Kingston and I assume other localities as well during WWII. Also there are at least three WWII era US subs located in US lakeside cities which I'm guessing were at least towed through the lakes.

The USS Little Rock ? (CL-92, CG-4, CLG-4) [Cleveland Class Cruiser) (was towed from Philadelphia to Buffalo via the Atlantic and St. Lawrence in 1977) 11800 tons 14131 tons full.

Back