• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

HaHa . Now we're getting into the sticky part!

Were did the Royal Fusilier's end and the Middlesex begin or for that matter the London Scottish, City of London, ..., Rangers, Duke of Cambridge's.....

Here's a quote
London's volunteers for the infantry mainly entered the City of London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers) or the Middlesex
Regiment.  A total of 45 battalions were formed under the title of the City of London Regiment during the course of the
war, including four battalions raised from public school students (18th, 19th, 20th and 21st Battalions), three battalions
recruited exclusively from Londoners of Jewish background (38th, 39th and 40th Battalions), and a frontiersmen battalion
composed of African game hunters, polar explorers, sportsmen, and other adventurers (25th Battalion). 

To compound the confusion between the regular Royal Fusiliers battalions and the territorial City of London Regiment
battalions, many of these wartime battalions preferred to affect the title Royal Fusiliers rather than City of London
Regiment.  To add further confusion to an already difficult subject, the Middlesex Regiment also had battalions which held
the subtitle the City of London Regiment.

From this link on the History of the Royal Fusiliers

I have the Royal Fusiliers at 58 which includes the City of London Bns of the London "Regiment" (Nos 1 thru 4) and duplicates, battalions formed in 1919 (for service in Russia), and the 3 graduated battalions.

I have the Middlesex Regiment at 58 as well which includes 3 battalions (no. 7, 13 and 19) (and duplicates) of the London "Regiment"

With regards to the London "Regiment" I think the following statement taken from regiments.org is instructive
" formed in T.F. without HQ or other administrative cohesion to encompass 26 existing volunteer battalions in the County of London (which had been formed in 1889 from parts of Middlesex, Kent and Surrey) since the new county lacked a single regular regiment with which to affiliate."

Other affiliations formalilized during 1916 (the London Regiment effectively ceasing to exist at this point) were the Rifle Brigade, King's Royal Rifle Corps, The Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment), The East Surrey Regiment, The Royal Irish Rifles and the Gordon Highlanders.

I'm pretty sure it is a tie at 58, I initially thought it was the Royal Fusiliers alone but of course a little knowledge is a dangerous thing  :D
Now if anyone wants to trace lineages to the present I am sure  all the present day British regiments can lay claim to raising battalions into at least three figures (except the Guards of course). I'm not going to do that though.

Another one

What is the only battle honour to be awarded for an action in the British Isles and what is its second notable aspect?

AJFitzpatrick said:
Another one

What is the only battle honour to be awarded for an action in the British Isles and what is its second notable aspect?

The Pembrokeshire Yeomanry uniquely hold the Battle Honour ‘Fishguard’ the first battle honour granted to a Volunteer Unit, and the only battle honour granted for service in the British Isles when the last invasion of the mainland by the French, in 1897, took place.

http://www.elite-collections.com/Welsh%20items_2.htm

I think that both questions are addressed above in that this was the only Battle Honour to be awarded in the British Isles and that it was awarded for the first time to a Volunteer Unit.

Which decorated British War Hero had Lance Corporal Hitler in his sights but refrained from pulling the trigger due to Hitler's being injured and unarmed?

I got the answer, but I cheated by using google.  So, I'll leave it to someone else.
:salute:

After many hours of strenuous searching  ::) I found it. it was Private Henry Tandey at the battle of Marcoing where he earned the VC.
Just makes you think what could have been.
And By the way Von Garvin your undername... so true.

Oops forgot the source
http://www.firstworldwar.com/features/tandey.htm

"It would be undesirable to incur large commitments in manpower merely to provide against the possibility of American
requests for cooperation, or of the Canadian government to put itself in the position of inviting such requests,
which might lead to commitments beyond Canadian capacity."

What Canadian PM said this. When and what where the circumstances?

I believe it was regarding the assault on the Japanese home islands (Japan proper). I don't know where he said it (or when exactly).

Back