• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

A quick google search and there is was first link. Interesting quote coming from him though. ;D

When was The National Inventory of Canadian Military Memorials Web site created?

Spr.Earl said:
When was The National Inventory of Canadian Military Memorials Web site created?
The answer is April 2nd,2001.

Now heres one for our own Boat People.

Boarding Parties

How do you differantiate between a Merchant Deck Officer and a Engineering Officer with in the Commonewealth?

Another question but for our Fly Boy's.
Who was the first Canadian Air Force Squadron to reach Great Britain in WW II?

After realizing 242 was an all Canadian unit flying with the RAF I wish to change my answer to 1 sqn RCAF. I've also found referance to two army cooperation sqn's of Lysanders but I can't find any unit numbers for them...

i was talkin to my grandpa (ex ww2 halifax/ lancaster flight enginner in rcaf). he told me that there was not enough canadians to form there own squadrons and bomer groups. so what they did was they went in to the RAF untill later in the war when the canadians got enough men to form there own group.

In the first month of World War II there was only fifteen squadrons that could be brought up to strength and mobilized - twelve for home defence and three for overseas service. For aircraft there were 20 different types totaling 230 aircraft, over half were training or transport aircraft, and only nineteen 19 Hurricanes and and  10 Fairey Battle light bombers could be considered front line aircraft.

On the first of January 1944 the RCAF reached its peak wartime strength of 215,200 all ranks (including 15,153) women, 104,000 were in the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan, 64,928 were serving at home and 46,272 were serving overseas. There were 78 squadrons in service: 35 overseas, 43 at home (of which six had been ordered overseas).

Canadian officials proposed that a RCAF fighter and bomber group should be formed, however it was determined that due to the geographical nature of the RAF's fighter groups an all Canadian fighter group would require between 40 and 50 fighter squadrons and this was determined to be unfeasible. In the end only a Canadian bomber group was formed this being No. 6 (RCAF) Group.

condor888000 said:
After realizing 242 was an all Canadian unit flying with the RAF I wish to change my answer to 1 sqn RCAF. I've also found referance to two army cooperation sqn's of Lysanders but I can't find any unit numbers for them...

You are so close but so far.

Here's the answer.

No.110 (Army Co-Operation) Squadron sails from Halifax for Britain where it arrives on 25 February, the first Canadian air force squadron to reach Great Britain.

The arrival date was 25/02/40 ;)

P.S. Zoomie and Inch you owe me a ride. ;) ;D

"With it went one army co-oper- ation squadron, No. 110 Squadron, RCAF, equipped
with Westland Lysanders."

You're in Ottawa eh? If you ever are at the aviation museum check out the Lysander. There's a few holes in the wing from people failing to realize the canada flag's about to hit the wing...

U-505?

- edit - thats the last captured u-boat that made it back without sinking that I could find

U-234?

I seem to remember a History Channel program I saw a few years ago about this boat, which was carrying U-235 (the nuclear fuel, not the submarine) to Japan at war's end (the sailors laughed because the SS came on board with crates that were labelled for the wrong boat...)  They didn't surrender until a few weeks after VE day.

Bfalcon.cf said:
Here's a question:
What was the name of last captured u-boat of ww2?

I won't answer but will give others a chance.

Heres the best U Boat web site ever.
Full of everything you need to know.

http://uboat.net/index.html

here is a question. what was the name of the rsm of the RCASC at the end of the 2nd world war?

Back