• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

recceguy said:
Read about it first. For what we needed, it was a POS.

I know what the Ross Rifle is, and what it did/didn't do for Canada. I said Go Ross Rifle, because my name is Ross. I'm not too good at cracking jokes.  :p

Ok time to once more revive the thread that will not die.

The Royal Scots are the senior Line Infantry Regiment in the British Army (or at least were until amalgamated with the other Scottish/Highland Regiments into the new â Å“super 5 Bn Regiment). Originally known as the 1st Foot, they also claim to be the oldest Line Infantry Regiment in Britain
(Guards Regiment are senior).

Question: What is the â Å“nicknameâ ? of the Royal Scots and why did they get it?

Danjanou said:
Right, now for the second part, why?

The Royal Scots regiment in the British army was nicknamed "Pontius Pilate's Bodyguard" after one member boasted that if they'd been on guard at Christ's tomb, Jesus would never have gotten out.

I started this thread it;s us old farts who come up with the answers and questions on the whole lets hear somthing from you youngn's  ;) :cdn: :salute:

Of course we know all the questions and answers. We were fricken there. ;D

Close there bud, mind rumour has it you were the right marker on their first parade. ;D ;D

The Royal Scots claim that they are the direct descendents to the Roman Legion recruited and raised in "Britian" when the Romans were there and later went on to serve elsewhere in the Roam Empire.

Re Christ's tomb, supposedly a French Regiment also claims the same distinguished lineage from a Legion raised in Gaul by Julius Cesear. When told this the Brits response was they must have been on guard duty at Christ's tomb and that's why the body went missing.

Yeah I know I'm going straight to Hell for that one.

Trust the French to try and out do us. ;)

O.k. heres one when were the first recruiting posters issued for the RCN and were?

Spr.Earl said:
O.k. heres one when were the first recruiting posters issued for the RCN and were?

Hmmm ... as I've just discovered (by accident);

On March 29, 1909, a Member of Parliament, George Foster, introduced a resolution in the House of Commons calling for the establishment of a Canadian Naval Service. The resolution was not successful; however, on January 12, 1910, the government of Prime Minster Sir Wilfrid Laurier took Foster's resolution and introduced it as the Naval Service Bill. After third reading, the bill received royal assent on May 4, 1910, and became the Naval Service Act, administered by the Minister of Marine and Fisheries at the time. The official title of the navy was the Naval Service of Canada (also Canadian Naval Forces), and the first Director of the Naval Service of Canada was Rear-Admiral Charles Kingsmill (Royal Navy, retired), who was previously in charge of the Marine Service of the Department of Marine and Fisheries. ... and ...

... The Naval Service of Canada changed its name to Royal Canadian Navy on January 30, 1911, but it was not until August 29 that the use of "Royal" Canadian Navy was permitted by King George V. ...

So, I'm going to guess ... the first recruiting posters went up in Foster's riding in 1909 (but, technically, I'm also guessing they were for the "Naval Service of Canada").
The first "true" RCN posters probably went up in 1911 ... but where ... ?
I'm going to guess Esquimalt, since that's where HMCS Rainbow was first stationed.

Wikipedia only has so much info ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Canadian_Navy

"Who were the first Ammunition Technical Officers in Canada in that they were responsible for ensuring the serviceability of ammunition?"

Here is some more info related to this subject. It is an article about my Greatgrandfather who has never been mentioned (as far as I know) in any official records. I have tried to find more info but there is none out there.

http://vanward.bccc.com/~rweat03/colonelweatherbie.html

I have a question. Were the members of the RNR awarded the Newfoundland Volunteer Service Medal?

larry Strong said:
I have a question. Were the members of the RNR awarded the Newfoundland Volunteer Service Medal?

Well theoretically if a member of the Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) was from Newfoundland during WWII he would have received said decoration as per the criteria:

http://www.vac- acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/cmdp/mainmenu/group04/nvsm

However The Royal Newfoundland Regiment (RNFLDR) never saw service in WWII. The unit was disbanded after WWI and although the Nfld Government offered to raise it again in 1939, but the Brits declined, most likely due to the atrocious casualties suffered by the Regiment in 1914-1918. Two Regiments of Royal Artillery (57th and 166th RA IIRC) were raised instead. Their members would have been entitled to this decoration

Sorry those of us who served in it get touchy about the inappropriate abbreviation especially mainlanders like me who after posting there accidentally call it RNR (ouch) :-[

Thank you for that, I apologise for the abbreviation, I was rushed at the time, I was not aware that The Royal Newfoundland Regiment, (have more time at the moment :p) was disbanded during WW2. I have seen the documentary on the Battle in WW1, such a waste of men for nothing :'(. I ask because my Father received his but he was in the RN.

bossi said:
Hmmm ... as I've just discovered (by accident);

On March 29, 1909, a Member of Parliament, George Foster, introduced a resolution in the House of Commons calling for the establishment of a Canadian Naval Service. The resolution was not successful; however, on January 12, 1910, the government of Prime Minster Sir Wilfrid Laurier took Foster's resolution and introduced it as the Naval Service Bill. After third reading, the bill received royal assent on May 4, 1910, and became the Naval Service Act, administered by the Minister of Marine and Fisheries at the time. The official title of the navy was the Naval Service of Canada (also Canadian Naval Forces), and the first Director of the Naval Service of Canada was Rear-Admiral Charles Kingsmill (Royal Navy, retired), who was previously in charge of the Marine Service of the Department of Marine and Fisheries. ... and ...

... The Naval Service of Canada changed its name to Royal Canadian Navy on January 30, 1911, but it was not until August 29 that the use of "Royal" Canadian Navy was permitted by King George V. ...

So, I'm going to guess ... the first recruiting posters went up in Foster's riding in 1909 (but, technically, I'm also guessing they were for the "Naval Service of Canada").
The first "true" RCN posters probably went up in 1911 ... but where ... ?
I'm going to guess Esquimalt, since that's where HMCS Rainbow was first stationed.

Wikipedia only has so much info ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Canadian_Navy

The Posters were issued on Feb.2/1911 in all Post Offices across the Nation.

Can some one tell me how many Newfoundland Volunteer medals were issued? Dad's is 1839 so I know that many were handed out.

larry Strong said:
Can some one tell me how many Newfoundland Volunteer medals were issued? Dad's is 1839 so I know that many were handed out.
Larry I tried to find how many were issued and alas came up empty handed.
I suggest that you contact the Prov.Gov. on the Rock.

Next question.

What term was given to Men who were killed by sniper fire or shrapnel while in the trench's in WWI?
(Not Assaulting,just at rest in the trench's)

Spr.Earl said:
Next question.

What term was given to Men who were killed by sniper fire or shrapnel while in the trench's in WWI?
(Not Assaulting,just at rest in the trench's)

unlucky bastard. lol

-Hutch- said:
unlucky bastard. lol
Hutch I take umbrage with your retort and I think those who died this way would also,as many of the casualties were caused by both sniper and shrapnel in the Trench's in WWI.

The term was at the time was Trench Wasteage
Yes Trench Wasteage!!!

Makes one feel all fuzzy and warm inside eh?!
What do we call it to day?

Spr.Earl said:
Hutch I take umbrage with your retort and I think those who died this way would also,as many of the casualties were caused by both sniper and shrapnel in the Trench's in WWI.

The term was at the time was Trench Wasteage
Yes Trench Wasteage!!!

Makes one feel all fuzzy and warm inside eh?!
What do we call it to day?

well i am sure they were frequently called it. but how is calling them trench wastage any better. knowing you were just waste and did not die doing anything.

June is the anniversary of the first time that English infantry wore the red coat in battle. Name the battle and the year in which it took place

Back