• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

Bill Smy said:
Which British Prime Minister, after his first Cabinet meeting, said: "An extraordinary affair. I gave them their orders and they wanted to stay and discuss them."

Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington

Spr.Earl said:
In WWII there were (oops ) 3   Red phones in England i.e the hot line!
Where were they?
Two were in Churchills Office,one to Liverpool,H.Q. for Western Approach's and vice versa.
The other Red Phone was a direct line to Pres. Roosevelt.

All about Barbarossa!

On what date did Barbarossa start?

In which city, across the Volga from Stalingrad, did Russian Generals make a temporary HQ and supply base?

What was the codename for the German attempt at breaking the Sixths Army encirclement at Stalingrad?

What wast the codename for the Soviet attempt to counteract the previously mentioned?

Island Ryhno said:
All about Barbarossa!

On what date did Barbarossa start?

11 May 1189 he set out, from Germany, headed for Palestine; he died, en route just over a year later, crossing the River Saleph (now the Göksu) in modern Turkey.

Mr Campbell my friend you are reaching waaaay back on me. Sorry I should have clarified, Operation Barbarossa.  ;D But that is quite the historical knowledge my friend. I'm amazed.  ;D  :D

Island Ryhno said:
Mr Campbell my friend you are reaching waaaay back on me. Sorry I should have clarified, Operation Barbarossa.   ;D But that is quite the historical knowledge my friend. I'm amazed.   ;D   :D

Island Ryhno - if you think THAT's amazing, have a look at some of Mr. Campbell's OTHER posts.

I'm learning a TON from this man on another thread - he's a treasurehouse of information.

Island Ryhno said:
Mr Campbell my friend you are reaching waaaay back on me. Sorry I should have clarified, Operation Barbarossa.   ;D But that is quite the historical knowledge my friend. I'm amazed.   ;D   :D

I couldn't resist.  Sorry for highjacking the thread.

The urge to comment on Edward's "time in" is being supressed. I think Ben-Hur may have been his Transport Sgt.  ;D

Acorn said:
The urge to comment on Edward's "time in" is being supressed. I think Ben-Hur may have been his Transport Sgt.   ;D

... you mean, "back when Centurion was a rank, not a tank" ... ?  :P

bossi said:
... you mean, "back when Centurion was a rank, not a tank" ... ?   :P

Or, perhaps, the elephant that he rode was an animal, not a tank... :D

...Of course he would've had to have been German. I guess you could steal one but its rather difficul to swipe something that moves at roughly the speed of a glacier! ;D

1. 22 June 1941
2. don't know offhand
3. Operation Winter storm
4. Operation Uranus

All correct, except for #4, which was operation Little Saturn. Operation Uranus, was the initial attack by the Soviets, Op Little Saturn, was the counter to the Germans Op Winter Storm. Isn't war history great?  ;D

This is a wild guess, but Emperor Hirihito said "Japan accepts an unconditional surrender" Aug 15th 1945 on national broadcast radio.?? Like I said, a guess.

Getting up from his chair at 9:25 a.m. MacArthur walked to the microphone and in a steely voice said: "'These proceedings are now closed."

This was after accepting the Japanese surrender aboard the Missouri.

Probably.  MacArthur would not have accepted anyone elses decision, he would have just kept on fighting.  So - it had to be him.

Tom

Yes Tom recceguy got it right.
Dug out Doug's final word's were 'These proceedings are now closed." ended WWII.
But he has not stated where though?

Back