• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

What was the name of the Japanese Snr Nco who lowered the Union Jack after the Capture of Singapore and who holds the flag today?

The deck of the Big Mo in Tokyo Bay, wasn't it?

What was the name of the Japanese Snr Nco who lowered the Union Jack after the Capture of Singapore and who holds the flag to day?
Yes the flag was recoverd,battle has it's twist's and turn's and the flag is alive and well in the U.K.

recceguy said:
Getting up from his chair at 9:25 a.m. MacArthur walked to the microphone and in a steely voice said: "'These proceedings are now closed."

This was after accepting the Japanese surrender aboard the Missouri.

Yes, I did say where it happened ;) ;D

Spr.Earl said:
What was the name of the Japanese Snr Nco who lowered the Union Jack after the Capture of Singapore and who holds the flag to day?
Yes the flag was recoverd,battle has it's twist's and turn's and the flag is alive and well in the U.K.

I don't know the answer to your question Spr.Earl, but this story is great. I know the story of Cyril Wild(junior officer), who took the Union Jack down from the governors house in Singapore. Wild was a Japanese speaking brit, who was a p.o.w for four years, during which time he managed to keep that Union Jack hidden and brought it back with him from the war. Currently it resides  In the college chapel at Charterhouse school in Sussex.  You can read about Cyril Wild in the book "The tall man who never slept" by James Bradley(who was a p.o.w with wild in singapore)

Captain James Barry has been described as "the most remarkable medical officer" of his era, entering the British army as a hospital assistant in 1813 and rising to be inspector-general of the Army Medical Department in 1858.

In addition to fighting a duel, and being "the most skilled of physcians", why else is this officer considered "remarkable"?

Cpt James Barry was remarkable because he was a she. "The Irish newspaper Saunders's News Letter on 14 August 1865 reported Dr. Barry death and revealed that the doctor was in fact a female who had masqueraded as a male throughout her life." (Saunders news letters)  8)

Go to the head of the class!  :salute:

I thought this would stump you guys  -- at least for a couple of days

Most people are aware of the caribou monument at Beaumont Hamel that is dedicated to The Royal Newfoundland Regiment. Did you know that there are four more memorial monuments featuring the caribou as homage to  The Royal Newfoundland Regiment. Where are the other four located and what action were they placed there for?

Name the twentieth century Canadian Prime Ministers who had military service (regular or reserve).

Island Ryhno said:
Most people are aware of the caribou monument at Beaumont Hamel that is dedicated to The Royal Newfoundland Regiment. Did you know that there are four more memorial monuments featuring the caribou as homage to  The Royal Newfoundland Regiment. Where are the other four located and what action were they placed there for?

The five battlefield parks are at Beaumont Hamel (near Albert), Gueudecourt (near Bapaume), Monchy-le-Preux (near Arras), Masnières (near Cambrai), and Courtrai (or Kortrijk) in Belgium.

http://www.cdli.ca/beaumont/battle.htm

Battles (from the Regiment's battle honours, the one that I can match through place names (open to correction or refinement):

Albert (Beaumont Hamel), 1916
Arras, 1917  9 April â “ 4 May 1917
Cambrai, 1917  20 November â “ 3 December 1917
Courtrai 

http://regimentalrogue.com/battlehonours/bathnrinf/50-rnfldr.htm

Art, go to the head of the class, although it's getting pretty crowded up there.  :salute:

I believe these are the only three. Rather than ROTC, is it not the COTC (Canadian Officers' Training Corps) in  which Trudeau was enrolled?

Who said:

" I have ate of the King's salt, and therefore I conceive it to be my duty to serve with unhesitating zeal and cheerfulness when and where my King or his government may think proper to employee me."

Another "head of the class" member. Recceguy, I thought it would take at least a day for someone to come up with the correct answer. You did in 10 minutes!  :salute:

The "Iron Duke's" sayings are pretty widely available, if not known.

Island Ryhno said:
I don't know the answer to your question Spr.Earl, but this story is great. I know the story of Cyril Wild(junior officer), who took the Union Jack down from the governors house in Singapore. Wild was a Japanese speaking brit, who was a p.o.w for four years, during which time he managed to keep that Union Jack hidden and brought it back with him from the war. Currently it resides   In the college chapel at Charterhouse school in Sussex.   You can read about Cyril Wild in the book "The tall man who never slept" by James Bradley(who was a p.o.w with wild in singapore)

I have the copy of The International Express dated ,23 - 29 Aug. 2005 which is a U.K. paper and on page 15 the heading is " Tributes to Our Burma stars on a day of tears",there is a photo of 81 yr old John Nunnely holding a Union flag with Japanese charactors on it saying " Celebrating the Fall of Singapore" and it's even signed but not state where it was taken down from.
In the article it states that " The flag was hauled down by Sargent Major Yuchiyama,one of the conquering troops" also a very nice picture of Countess Mountbatten with Joaanna Lumley,very nice Lady the Countess.

When referring to the "four deuces", what (or who) am I referring to. Hint, post 1900

Back