• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

In 1915 the German Army sent Count Theobald von Bethmann-Hollweg (1856-1921), German Chancellor from 1909-17 and a small attache to see Thakur Sahib of Gondalto in Kabul, Afghanistan in an attempt to encourage opposition to British Rule in India and advocate the German view of the 1st World War in an attempt to encourage invasion of India, thus diverting Commonwealth forces.

What was the name of the designer of the trigger group for the Canadian C1 Sterling SMG and what requirement made a trigger group that was different than the original British trigger necessary?

What significant act of the war occured on 14th October 1942 in Canada? :salute:

A U-boat sinks the ferry SS Caribou killing 137.

On the first transport flight of military aircraft over the atlantic in WW2, how many aircraft were flown, how many were required to land in England for them to continue the operation, and what type of aircdraft were they? And for kicks, what song was played by the band of the Queens Own Rifles of Canada as they took off?

SMG trigger group.... not sure of deisgner but - they had to put in a detachable (well; pivoting) trigger guard.

significant act of war in BC in 42..... didn't a Japanese Sub shell the coast and attach some coastal shipping?

condor888000 said:
A U-boat sinks the ferry SS Caribou killing 137.

Correct Condor  :D
A piece of my personal history, among the 137 lost was my grandmother, a nurse, Helen Wightman who was on her way to visit my grandfather who was serving at Argentia.  :'(

On the SMG trigger group, geo's guess is close.  The detachable trigger guard for Arctic conditions was one of the main factors for the redesign - but what is the name of the fellow (clue) who did it?  Keep looking! 

Armyvern, sorry to hear about the Caribou and your grandmother.  It may be old news, but some wounds never heal.

condor888000 said:
On the first transport flight of military aircraft over the atlantic in WW2, how many aircraft were flown, how many were required to land in England for them to continue the operation, and what type of aircdraft were they? And for kicks, what song was played by the band of the Queens Own Rifles of Canada as they took off?

On 10 Nov 1940, 7 Lockheed Hudson Bombers led by Capt DCT Bennett left Gander Newfoundland as the band played "Nearer My God to Thee" en route for Belfast Northern Ireland (Aldergrove). All were required to land to partake in the Battle of Britain.

redleafjumper said:
but what is the name of the fellow (clue) who did it?  

Charles "Cholly" Steen III the designer and founder of Sarco, Inc. (Steen Armament Research Company).

It's OK about my Grandma. She is a source of inspiration.  :)

Sorry Armyvern - it's not SARCO or Cholly Steen who designed the C1 SMG trigger group.  As a clue, he is not a Canadian and the design is named for him.

armyvern said:
All were required to land to partake in the Battle of Britain.
Not quite. A certain number out of the 7 were required to land in order for the program to be continued. The question is, what was that number?

Re: Lockheed Hudsons - I believe that the requirement was intended to address some casualties or mechanical breakdown and that the magic number was 5.

OK then, He'll go down ;D I'll go up   ;D My answer is ONE. ??? I am picking one because they had the belief that NONE could make it across safely, thus with 1 bomber finally making it over...the proof was in the pudding.

OK tonight I've found something different. I have found a site which answers some of the questions on the first trans-Atlantic crossing but only makes mention "that official's were willing to accept a 50% loss" because that is what the loss-rate was for sea transport." Therefore 3.5 technically but I'll go with 3.

Quite the considerable feat for those zoomies landing all 7 safely. Despite the winter conditions they experienced flying off into the night and spending their last hours of flight passing through a blizzard.

Well done indeed!!   :salute:  

http://www.airmuseum.ca/mag/exag0305.html

Back