• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

Yes, if 3 of the first 7 aircraft survived, the plan was to continue. Shows how desperate they were for any aircraft eh?

Still no takers on the C1 SMG trigger group designer or on the subsequent command of that US civil war Colonel?

No takers on this one so far...

STA Gunner said:
My next question, one that I can't seem to google, but have found in a book:

During the struggle to hold onto St bert-sur-Dives, Maj David Currie was awarded the VC.   This action was caught on film by an army camera crew in still and motion pictures.   It has been called "he closest you will ever come to seeing a VC beiong won captured on film".

Who captured the images (2 persons) and what awards were they given for their actions?

A quick link to the picture is here http://www.sarvaofcanada.ca/sarva/currie/pic3.jpg

Images were captured by St Stollery who was awarded the MM and Lt Grant who was awarded the MC for their roles in the action.

STA Gunner, thanks for posting that answer, I know the still photo of that VC winner.   There is a neatly dressed German infantry major surrendering to another soldier in the same photo along with several Germans walking up with hands up.   I didn't bother googling to find the answer, but I was surprised to see that the two books I have with the photo were pretty sketchy about credit.

Edited to fix typos!

redleafjumper said:
STA Gunner, thanks for posting that answer, I know the still photo of that VC winner.   There is neatly dressed german infantry major surrendering to another soldier in the same photo along with several Germans walking up with hands up.   I didn't bother googling to find the answer, but I was surprised to see that the two books I have with the photo were pretty sketchy about credit.

Okay, what was the name of the Argylls CSM in the picture who accepted the surrender?

The Argylls CSM was Company Sergeant Major George Mitchell (see below from http://www.ashofc.ca/ASH003.htm)

On 18 August 1944, B Company of the Argylls was placed under command of C Squadron of The South Alberta Regiment (SAR), which was commanded by Major David Currie. This composite group was tasked to close the road running through St. Lambert-Sur-Dives, which was the main German escape route between the towns of Chambois and Trun.

In the early morning of 19 August 1944, B Company and C Squadron attacked St. Lambert and cleared half of the town, with Company Sergeant Major George Mitchell and Private MR Holmes distinguishing themselves by rescuing the driver of a burning SAR tank while under fire. The Argylls suffered 6 wounded that day. C Company of the Argylls joined the force in St. Lambert at 1900 hrs.

On the 20th of August 1944, Major Ivan Martin, Officer Commanding B Company went forward on foot alone twice to call down artillery fire on German self propelled guns. He was killed during the course of the day and was awarded an American Distinguished Service Cross. The Argylls lost 3 killed and 13 wounded on that day.

By 21 August 1944, most of the heavy fighting was over and the town was finally cleared of enemy resistance. The roads leading to St. Lambert were clogged with destroyed vehicles and abandoned equipment. Private McAllister of B Company won acclaim by single handedly taking 150 prisoners. The 21st would see 5 Argylls killed and 2 more wounded.

By the end of the action, B and C companies had only about 70 men between them. They would be amalgamated on 22 August 1944 under the command of Major Alex Logie, son of Major General WA Logie who had been the first Commanding Officer of the Argylls in 1903.

The battle at St. Lambert-Sur-Dives was a significant victory for Canada, the Argylls and the SARs. Less than 200 Canadians held off attacks by literally thousands of Germans for three days and played a major role in closing the Falaise Gap, which signaled the defeat and destruction of the German Seventh Army.

For his valour, Major Currie was awarded the Victoria Cross.

For their persistence and dedication, for the Argyll's valour, 18 August will be henceforth known as St. Lambert-sur-Dives Day, in perpetuity.

(Modified to add source)

How about that trigger designer?

Who was Canada's first VC recipient, and what battle and what date did he earn it on?

The first VC associated with Canada:

October 25, 1854

VC won by Lt Alexander Roberts Dunn, 11th (Prince Albert's Own) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons (Hussars), (British Army), Balaclava, The Charge of the Light Brigade. Lieutenant A.R. Dunn, of Toronto, part of an English brigade of 600 men who charge the Russian army at 11 am, during the Crimean War; unhorsed, he empties his revolver at the Russians, then uses his sword - too long by regulations - to save several of his fellow cavalrymen; his bravery during the Charge of the Light Brigade made him the first Canadian to win the Victoria Cross.

What regiments contributed to the Canadian Berlin Battalion, when was it formed and what dates did it serve in Berlin? For extra points, what was the formation is was under command of there?

No, from my sources, he was the COS of the First Canadian Army at the time in question, So, they would not have been under his command, but that of Crerar.

The Berlin contingent was originally to be a brigade, but it was cut back to a battalion based on the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada. I would have to do some more digging, but there was an article on it in the Canadian Army Journal circa 1962. Unfortunately, both my memory and my hairline have deteriorated since then, so I cannot recall any more details. (On the other hand, my waistline is overtaking my M score.)

Hmmm...
Les Fusilier Mont Royal, the Loyal Edmonton Regiment and The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess' Louise's).
Served in Berlin as part of Op Eclipse, 21 Army Group, 3rd Canadian Infantry Division, as part of the Canadian Army Occupational Forces (CAOF) effective 0001hrs 14 July 1945 until 15 May 1946.  ???

This question has gotten to me.   I know I had a plaque presented to CC Mann with approximately 16 hatbadges on it from that Bde.   They included RCAPC, RCEME, RCASC, and other Support Trades, but also approx four to six Infantry and a couple of Armour as well as Arty and Engr Hatbadges.   I can picture that plaque, but can't remember learly the Units...... :(

George Wallace said:
This question has gotten to me.   I know I had a plaque presented to CC Mann with approximately 16 hatbadges on it from that Bde.   They included RCAPC, RCEME, RCASC, and other Support Trades, but also approx four to six Infantry and a couple of Armour as well as Arty and Engr Hatbadges.   I can picture that plaque, but can't remember learly the Units...... :(

George, I found this site below. You'll have to scroll all the way to Annex D at page 66. It lists all the Units which comprised the CAOF in Germany, but I think only the 3 I give in answer below were actually part of the Berlin Battalion:  ???

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:2axhQBinvmEJ:www.forces.gc.ca/dhh/downloads/cmhq/cmhq174.pdf+21+army+group+caof+berlin&hl=en

This thread is very entertaining, and enlightening.  However, perhaps "  Who can hit search on Google fastest?" would be a better description.  By all means, let's keep it going.  As a prisoner of dialup, I'll never be first with the answer, anyway... :D

Re: Canadian Berlin Battalion

Correct so far for units: The Loyal Edmonton Regiment, Les Fusiliers Mont Royal, The Argyll and Sutherland Highrs (Princess Louise's)

Now: date of formation of the battalion?, period of service?, under command of what higher formation?

Shall I add: who was the Commanding Officer, and what unit did he come from?

Kat Stevens said:
As a prisoner of dialup, I'll never be first with the answer, anyway... :D

Dial-up? You should have been around to know all these answers then.  ;D Just kidding!!! Yep, you are right, I google them. But I am certainly no expert when it comes to this stuff and I find it quite educational. I get onto something, think I've found the answer and just continue reading whatever page, I'm actually learning some great things!!

I was there on the survey party when Hannibal crossed the Alps for his Italian vacation.  Those nifty messtins were great when we got them, but it seems my memory of the old days ain't what it used to was...

Back